By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - YLOD finally bit me

If you have a PS3, did YLOD also got you?

Yes 15 50.00%

No 15 50.00%

Total:30

My first game on PS3 was MGS4 Phat (day one 80gb bundle). It died the day I bought Metal Gear Rising. I was installing the game when the system stopped working. 

Kinda poetic. Never did finish Rising though I bought a second Super Slim PS3 later on that year (still works).

Also, my Xbox 360 got the RRoD playing Mass Effect and died again playing Mass Effect 2. Crazy. I wound up buying another regular and eventually an S (still have both and they still work).

Around the Network

Sorry to hear it bro.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Dam sorry to hear. The phat ones were awesome cause they were backwards compatible too!

V-r0cK said:
Dam sorry to hear. The phat ones were awesome cause they were backwards compatible too!

From what I know mine isn`t. Second or third version.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

It should still be able to play PS1 discs. Just, sadly, not PS2 discs. So...half BC?

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

Oh really? I didnt know that, I thought all phat ones were bwc and they took it off when they started to make the slim. 

Either way, sorry for your loss.  Will you be getting another PS3 to replace it?

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

Oh really? I didnt know that, I thought all phat ones were bwc and they took it off when they started to make the slim. 

Either way, sorry for your loss.  Will you be getting another PS3 to replace it?

If memory serves, the launch phat PS3s in the PAL regions never had built-in PS2 hardware (the EmotionEngine), only software emulation (this was also the 80 GB in the US). Then there were the 40 GB and 120 GB phat models, which only had PS1 BC (no PS2). Basically, if it has the memory card slots and four USB ports, then it should have at least some PS2 BC, and if it's a phat model with no memory card slots and only two USB ports (i.e. after MGS4 came out), it likely doesn't have any PS2 BC.

Last edited by GrahfsLament - on 07 August 2020

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
GrahfsLament said:
DonFerrari said:

It should still be able to play PS1 discs. Just, sadly, not PS2 discs. So...half BC?

I guess so.

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

I think only that first one with a lot of USB entries were BC.

Nope, I`ll keep mine even if not working anymore, but I hardly play older games so no need to buy another PS3.

BraLoD said:
Was it full BC?

Didn`t had a PS1 or PS2 original disc to test when I used it regularly, but from what I know only PS1 BC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Good luck, mine repeated the ylod 6 months after repair :/ But it was heavily used. It has been decorating my wall ever since

That generation was awful, 2 ylods, 3 rrods and the disc drive in the Wii broke.

All in the name for more environmentally friendly solder. I wonder how many extra consoles ended up in the dump to help the environment :/