By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS rebrands Xbox Game Pass to simply Game Pass

Looks like Microsoft just completely distanced Game Pass from the Xbox brand. Xbox Game Pass for PC always did sound a bit stupid as a pc is not an Xbox, but does this mean we could be seeing GP on the Switch and ps5 as well?

Personally, I think they are looking past next gen and towards a market where we'll all be gaming in the Cloud. I don't think they believe they have the content to become the Netflix of gaming, though. They are probably way more interested in Azure becoming the backbone of the gaming streaming industry. A bit like how Amazon is making a fortune from providing the streaming platform for companies like Netflix, right now. 

The company is rebranding Xbox Game Pass to simply Game Pass. This move distances the companies Game Pass subscription from being explicitly tied to its gaming console. The company is also changing Xbox Game Pass for PC to simply Game Pass for PC.

While this is a minor update, this may be the start of a bigger transition for Microsoft. The company recently removed Xbox Live pre-paid cards for 12 months from its website and many, myself included, believe that this is the start of phasing out Xbox Live Gold.

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/238570/microsofts-updating-xbox-game-pass-branding

Around the Network

Game Pass falls under the Xbox umbrella so regardless of its name or device, the outcome falls under Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft.
And yes, the future for gaming for Xbox is an Application, not the hardware.

Well they’re off to a good start if they want Azure to dominate the industry. First Xbox Live, now PSN. However, this is just a branding move and it makes sense since GamePass will soon be out of beta on PC and available with xCloud as well. GamePass on my tablet or phone is more natural than Xbox GamePass on my tablet or phone, having the Xbox name in there makes it seem as if I need an Xbox or is tied to my Xbox.

They’ve always said local hardware is the best way to play games and streaming is ten+ years off. If that’s “next gen” then this will be quite a long gen.

Makes sense sinces its already on PC, and the plan is to get it on mobil phones.
Xbox could be associated with hardware, which would muddy the messageing of trying to get people on the subscription.

Azzanation said:

Game Pass falls under the Xbox umbrella so regardless of its name or device, the outcome falls under Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft.

Yep, the endgoal is mobile phones and game streaming, along with gamepass.
If possible to get enough mobile phone users, theres absolutely no need for hardware.

Xbox future, is a subscription service.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

Yep, the endgoal is mobile phones and game streaming, along with gamepass.
If possible to get enough mobile phone users, theres absolutely no need for hardware.

Xbox future, is a subscription service.

Streaming will be one of many options. It allows Streaming big AAA games on any device (If allowed) and by doing so, will result in bigger sales outside the console market walls.

Mobile phones is only part of it. PC is their major focus since Windows is MS biggest selling product. More games for Windows PC = more sales for MS. Xcloud will make Streaming games on all devices possible but their main focus is PC gaming and always will be. Very smart move.

They have the studios to drive the quality. MS will be the first to enter a full subscription model in the near future and one day Sony will follow suit once they start noticing the results from MS. Just like how they saw the results of Xbox Live and followed with their own pay wall model. 

Considering that a bigger portion of the market frow to Microsoft and even more to Xbox it makes sense to remove it from the name since they are offering it out of xbox as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It makes sense given that GP spans PC and soon phones/tablets with Xcloud once they merge. You still have the Xbox logo despite not actually saying Xbox so that is more then enough to tell people what it is. 

“They are probably way more interested in Azure becoming the backbone of the gaming streaming industry.” 

Couldn’t agree more. Especially since Sony is migrating to Azure in the not so distant future. Their success means more success for MS. They played the long game and now they will effectively own the market from the backend perspective when Sony takes PS Now more seriously. 

Edit: Just realized this isn’t unique to MS. PS Studios is technically just called “Studios” with a PS logo on top. Point being a picture can say just as much as the word itself. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 02 August 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.