Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eiyuden Chronicle (Suikoden successor) Most successful Japanese Kickstarter game

Hiku said:
Blood_Tears said:
This is awesome. I just made my pledge as well! I can't wait to play it on PS5.

Just to be clear about the console versions because I've seen some confusion about this, the game is offered for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo's next generation system (Switch 2).
If at the time of release there is no such system from Nintendo, then they will either go through the difficult process of downgrading the game to Switch 1, or they will refund backers who wanted it on a Nintendo system.

Wow. Those paragraphs pretty much confirm why developers don't like porting to the Switch. It is simply too expensive/ difficult.

Around the Network

A lot of first time backers. And I was in their Discord earlier and talked to several backers who had never played a Suikoden game before, so that's great to see as well!

Here's a link to the Discord:

Farsala said:
Hiku said:

Just to be clear about the console versions because I've seen some confusion about this, the game is offered for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo's next generation system (Switch 2).
If at the time of release there is no such system from Nintendo, then they will either go through the major challenge of downgrading and re-coding the game for Switch 1, or they will refund backers who wanted it on a Nintendo system.

Wow. Those paragraphs pretty much confirm why developers don't like porting to the Switch. It is simply too expensive/ difficult.

Yeah, for a game that looks like this, you might not expect them to call it a major challenge to downgrade and re-code the game for Switch. So this is eyeopening to just how difficult/expensive this can be for developers.

Last edited by Hiku - on 28 July 2020

Heh, just clicked on the Kickstarter and saw it is already above $1.5m.  That's a really good sign.  It will be interesting to see how high it gets by the time the Kickstarter ends.  

I kind of think games/series that get discovered later, like this one, are primed to do really well on Kickstarter.  This series was not even on my radar back in the PS1/PS2 days.  It's hard to know how many Suikoden fans are out there, but you can look at the price of buying a used Suikoden 2 to get some indication that the series has a strong following.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 28 July 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, just clicked on the Kickstarter and saw it is already above $1.5m.  That's a really good sign.  It will be interesting to see how high it gets by the time the Kickstarter ends.  

I kind of think games/series that get discovered later, like this one, are primed to do really well on Kickstarter.  This series was not even on my radar back in the PS1/PS2 days.  It's hard to know how many Suikoden fans are out there, but you can look at the price of buying a used Suikoden 2 to get some indication that the series has a strong following.

I've always been aware of Suikoden having a passionate following (just not how many of them there are), partially because I've been following Suikoden Revival Movement and I have some friends who organize annual Suikoden conventions. And a site called Suikosource which I believe I first visited around 2002, is still up and running today. http://www.suikosource.com/

I backed the project, I'm super excited. I pledged 10k yen, thinking about upgrading my pledge later in the project depending on the stretch goals.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Blood_Tears said:
This is awesome. I just made my pledge as well! I can't wait to play it on PS5.

If at the time of release there is no such system from Nintendo, then they will either go through the major challenge of downgrading the game to Switch 1, or they will refund backers who wanted it on a Nintendo system.

This gives me a good feeling this project might turn out well.

Hiku said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've always been aware of Suikoden having a passionate following (just not how many of them there are), partially because I've been following Suikoden Revival Movement and I have some friends who organize annual Suikoden conventions. And a site called Suikosource which I believe I first visited around 2002, is still up and running today. http://www.suikosource.com/

Wow, looks like the Suikoden Revival Movement has basically achieved their goal.  Considering it has over 32k followers, I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets around 32k backers by the time it closes.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Hiku said:

Wow, looks like the Suikoden Revival Movement has basically achieved their goal.  Considering it has over 32k followers, I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets around 32k backers by the time it closes.

Some people like to wait until games are out rather than putting money up front, but I imagine when people have been passionate about getting anything Suikoden related for years, they're probably more commonly the type to go the extra mile. Looks like we're about halfway to that mark though, currently sitting at 15,7k backers.

Extra characters will be added as goals,maybe till we get 108 total ? :p

Immersiveunreality said:
Extra characters will be added as goals,maybe till we get 108 total ? :p

Was just reading the faq and got to this question lol 

I imagine most (if not all) of those characters are gonna be mostly NPCs or supporting/quest characters.