By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you take advantage of HDR while gaming?

I...

Own a HDR TV. 26 54.17%

Own a HDR monitor. 3 6.25%

Don't own either of the above. 16 33.33%

*Escape button to the comments* 3 6.25%

Total:48
SvennoJ said:
Dante9 said:

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. 4K is resolution and HDR is just an added effect, right?

If done wrong, like in RDR2, yes it's just an added effect.

However if done right it expands the rendering 'depth' of the scene so much that screenshots converted to LDR suffer black crush and white outs or look overall washed out.

LDR or normal dynamic range is 8 bits or 256 'steps' from black to white with white calibrated to about 180 nits.
HDR is 10 bits or 1024 'steps' from black to white with white calibrated up to 10,000 nits (on a logarithmic scale)

Most HDR displays don't go over 1,200 nits for peak brightness, yet still a huge step up from 180 nits.
10 bit color also provides up to 4x as much detail in darker areas without color banding becoming an issue.

Most modern games are already rendered in FP16 (16 bit color) then down converted to 8 bit LDR or 10 bit HDR. Of course assets also need to support 10 bit color as well as the entire rendering pipeline. (That's where RDR2 fails)

You can render at any resolution and still have HDR. However only 4K tvs support HDR, but upscaling 720p to 4K is no issue.

What you get in the end is more detail in shadow areas, and more detail in highlights and high contrast scenes. Instead of the sky just looking white when looking outside from a darker room, it can now show what the outside looks like next to the darker interior without compromising either.

For example, in GT Sport, in LDR, spray from rain and dust is literally blinding in night races. Not because of the brightness, but because it all whites out on the display. You can't read the distance markers since they 'max out' in brightness and become unreadable. With HDR, the display can correctly display the brightness and you can see through the spray/dust and there's still contrast left to read the text on reflective road signs. It's also much easier to see the road in the dark. For normal day races, it's mostly the sky that gets more depth. Instead of looking simply whitish bright, you now see all the clouds in full detail.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I guess people mostly don't appreciate what they're getting, since they don't see side by side comparisons.

Around the Network

Still gaming on a 1080p monitor with no HDR.

John2290 said:
Barkley said:

Still gaming on a 1080p monitor with no HDR.

You are'nt a real gamer so. 

Jk. 

It's 75hz though so I'm part of the high refresh rate master race. *kind of*

John2290 said:
Barkley said:

It's 75hz though so I'm part of the high refresh rate master race. *kind of*

Well, better than console. That's an odd limit on refresh rate though, never seen them at 75 hz before. 

That was a common refresh rate for CRT monitors, which are still superior to 4K HDR and OLED displays.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

Real gamers play on CRT.

Peh said:
GrahfsLament said:

When you enabled HDR in Windows 10 you can configure it in the Windows HD color settings, so SDR content won't look strange in HDR mode. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-hdr-settings-windows-10

Most games require HDR to be enabled in Win10, so the option can appear in the game in the first place. A few do not require it and you can turn it on ingame while it is turned off in win10. Division 2 for example does that. And I suppose all of Ubisoft games (without checking it).

In the beginning I would often switch between on and off. Nowadays I stay on HDR enabled. There is one slight issue left, and that is volume control via keyboard. Windows show the volume bar on the top left screen. So... in some games, when I play in HDR and adjust my volume, the screen goes back to SDR while the volume bar is shown and switches back to HDR when it is gone. That's something that has not been addressed, at all. 

You also have to be careful when buying a HDR monitor since there are plenty of fake ones. You'll notice those when the panel is not native 10 bit and the peak brightness cannot reach 1000 nits. There are also ofher specifications that has to be met.

Thanks! I remember messing with the SDR slider initially and not liking the results, so I completely forgot about its existence :D (just clicked HDR for Streaming Video and went). However, that was when I first got my HDR TV sometime in the latter half of last year, so I'll have check it out again, as it's probably been improved since then.

Also, didn't know about the volume slider issue (my PC's volume on my TV is always at 100, and I just control game/video/music volume via my A/V Receiver), but I'll bear it in mind if I ever get an HDR monitor as well.

As for the games, I just haven't played any PC games that support HDR yet (according to the PC Gaming Wiki link I posted). Most of my modern games have been on consoles, but that'll eventually change so I look forward to it then.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
Around the Network
DPsx7 said:
John2290 said:

You are'nt a real gamer so. 

Jk. 

They need to start making them in sensible sizes. TV's these days look like they were stolen from a drive-in.

...How did you know where I got my TV?!? Who told?!

Natural Doctrine

I've had a 4K Sony Bravia with HDR since like 2017. I thought it looked great.

THEN, I got a 4k Samsung with HDR about a month ago. Didn't expect it to be anything special. Just got it for the living room since I wanted a bigger TV for the family.

The Samsung blew away my Sony.

After that, I've been going into the settings of both and tweaking them and the consoles connected (PS4 Pro and XBO X on the Sony/Standard PS4 and Xbox One on the Samsung). I honestly think the Samsung makes the regular consoles look better than the upgraded consoles. However, I did manage to change settings on the Sony that made my games look spectacular.

Since then, I've been playing and replaying older games and being impressed by what I see on both. And the HDR is nice. I just wonder if it's real. Like I can't see certain colors with HDR turned off but I can't understand why.

d21lewis said:
I've had a 4K Sony Bravia with HDR since like 2017. I thought it looked great.

THEN, I got a 4k Samsung with HDR about a month ago. Didn't expect it to be anything special. Just got it for the living room since I wanted a bigger TV for the family.

The Samsung blew away my Sony.

After that, I've been going into the settings of both and tweaking them and the consoles connected (PS4 Pro and XBO X on the Sony/Standard PS4 and Xbox One on the Samsung). I honestly think the Samsung makes the regular consoles look better than the upgraded consoles. However, I did manage to change settings on the Sony that made my games look spectacular.

Since then, I've been playing and replaying older games and being impressed by what I see on both. And the HDR is nice. I just wonder if it's real. Like I can't see certain colors with HDR turned off but I can't understand why.

In my (albeit limited) experience, one of the strengths of Sony TVs is the level of audio and video customization in the settings if you want to spend the time there, digging through the menus. Most other TVs that I've encountered seem to try to limit how many settings the consumer can tweak. I suppose I fancy myself a sort of "power" user, so I tend toward custom Android roms, Linux, and devices with as many options/toggles/sliders as possible. Typically, automated settings are nice for me only as a starting point. Almost all of my friends, however, are definitely in the "whatever's default, I just want to use the remote for on and off and nothing else" camp. So, everyone's mileage may vary.

As to the bolded part, HDR expands the luminance range, so you're definitely seeing more shades of light and dark. If I recall correctly, the Wide Color Gamut standard is also present in the HDR profiles that the consoles use (it's definitely present in Windows 10 as well), so you would, in fact, be seeing additional colors.

Natural Doctrine

I own a PS4 Pro and an LG 65 inches HDR 4K tv and i always enable HDR whenever the game supports it and i love how it enhances the depth regarding visuals, colors and lights.

Last edited by Dahum - on 30 July 2020

My TV and PS4Pro are always set to HDR, so whenever a game offer it I use and always look at the adjustment for every game. Also depending on the ligh condition I may increase or lower the brightness during the day.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."