By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Resident Evil 2 RE the best entry of the series ?

Its almost a masterpiece, but no.

RE 1 Remake and RE 4 are better games.

RE 7 is debatable.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Tough one. REmake 2 was cream of the crop in a lot of ways. However it did have some serious flaws as a true remake, mainly in the A and B campaign structure. In the original, they were two very different paths through the same area. There is even a part where they intersect if played on the right order where Leon has to help Sherry due to radio communication. The stories were actually woven together.

But in REmake 2, it is largely the same game with a few different item locations and Mr X triggers. There are a few variations, but it feels more like a remix with a few side stories than an event that took place alongside your 1st playthrough. You even fight the same final boss in the same spot, which kind of broke the immersion for me (not including the secret boss of course). It did a lot of things right, but you don't have to look hard to see this MAJOR flaw and missed opportunity.

All in all though, my two favorites are still a toss up of RE7 and REmake 2. Having said that, I have yet to play 4 believe it or not.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Re4 all the way

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Still think it's REmake on Gamecube. I like the fixed camera as you don't know what lurks around the corner. I like the tank controls as it makes you feel more helpless in a bleak situation adding to the horror. The addition of Crimson Heads. Then my favorite thing of all and one of the most tragic things and scariest in gaming. Lisa Trevor. Not to mention the game still looks great 18 years later.

It's the purest game in the entire series.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

KratosLives said:
my favourite was the original on ps1, and will always be my favourite. The atmosphere and graphcis for its time, the isolation of the mansion and the horror within, horror within fully lit up areas, the movements and sounds of the infected, and ofcourse the soundtrack, which is still the greatest. Then resident 3 ps1, followed by resident evil 4/

Nailed it. I suppose it's difficult to be objective as it was the first RE game I played, but nothing has come close to the experience of playing the original around release. Gradually unravelling the story, the atmosphere, the soundtrack (amazing, as you say - one of my all time favourites from any game) was incredible.