By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Unite announced (League of Pokemon) for Switch and mobile

The way the Pokemon IP is going is heartbreaking. Ever since Go came out, they've been diluting the series to the lowest common denominator, pumping out yearly releases with less and less polish and content and milking the mobile market to no end. And considering this is all going to make them mountain ranges of money, it's all going down from there.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 24 June 2020

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

A Pokemon MOBA made by Tencent is the last thing I would expect..

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Wyrdness said:
KLAMarine said:
Never played a MOBA before. Any other genres they could be compared to?

It's basically a RTS where you don't need to worry about gaining resources and building armies you just control the one unit and its abilities.

Oh, sounds fun. Will give it a go once it's out.

Like the main line series Pokemon games I think this has a ton of potential, but it just looks really watered down and lazy.

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

Darwinianevolution said:

The way the Pokemon IP is going is heartbreaking. Ever since Go came out, they've been diluting the series to the lowest common denominator, pumping out yearly releases with less and less polish and content and milking the mobile market to no end. And considering this is all going to make them mountain ranges of money, it's all going down from there.

In the context of Pokemon,  "diluting" the series to the lowest common denominator kind of sounds like the developers jobs. In fact, it sounds like the mission statement for the series. 

Around the Network

I personally think it looks like fun! Pokémon is a good setting for a MOBA since they'll be able to add lots of new "heroes" from the huge pool of Pokémon created throughout the years. I'm not a MOBA expert , only played League of Legends and not all that much so maybe that's why I don't see the "lazy and watered down" part.

Signature goes here!

I used to play League of Legends for a couple of years when it came out, so I'll definitely give it a go

I agree it Iooks a bit cheap but it could actually be very fun if done right

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Darwinianevolution said:

People : Man I wish they would stop making the game games over and over again and innovate!

Developers: Makes Pokemon Stadium, Conquest series, XD Gale of Darkness, Battle Revolution, Trading Card Game series, Play It! Series, pinball series, Mystery Dungeon series, Ranger series, Rumble Series, Snap series, Puzzle series, Pokken Tournament, and a large list of other spinoffs.

These are all different genres of games, appealing to different types of gamers, ranging in hard to easy. They are innovating their IP like crazy. Only their mainline series seems to be stagnant in my opinion. Things like Mystery Dungeon, Detective Pikachu, Pokken Tournament, Conquest, and Snap are all very innovative.

Dulfite said:
Darwinianevolution said:

People : Man I wish they would stop making the game games over and over again and innovate!

Developers: Makes Pokemon Stadium, Conquest series, XD Gale of Darkness, Battle Revolution, Trading Card Game series, Play It! Series, pinball series, Mystery Dungeon series, Ranger series, Rumble Series, Snap series, Puzzle series, Pokken Tournament, and a large list of other spinoffs.

These are all different genres of games, appealing to different types of gamers, ranging in hard to easy. They are innovating their IP like crazy. Only their mainline series seems to be stagnant in my opinion. Things like Mystery Dungeon, Detective Pikachu, Pokken Tournament, Conquest, and Snap are all very innovative.

I agree with that, but that's kind of the problem. No matter how innovative the spinoffs are, they aren't really building up the main series. After a while they decided to give and take features from their titles in the efford of making them "unique", which makes them feel weaker and weaker each time, instead of reinforcing the core of the game with all of the content they've created over the years. Things like the pokemon contests, the Battle Frontier, the Vs. Seeker, secret bases, berry farming, rematches against the gym leadrs, different regions in the same game, pokemon world tournament, the GTS... All those things have come and gone for no particularly good reason, when they could've just kept adding them to the games to make them more complete.

And that's not even mentioning the scandalous cuts in Sword/Shield.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.