By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I am loving The Last of Us 2 so far...but the film grain effect on a 4K tv is terrible

I downloaded the game at launch. I played about 7 hours on my 32 inch 1080p old TV in a base PS4...turning down the sharpness to 0 really solved the issue  ...BUT just bought a new 4k TV and the film grain even at sharpness turned to 0 is just too noticeable, and it is bothering me, as I feel the game is amazingly gorgeous otherwise.

It seems the game looks better in the older TV which is some what strange, I wonder if Naughty Dog will patch an option to disable it (the photo mode has the option). Anyone else having the same issues?

Around the Network

this is one of the first settings i turn off on any PC game. The 'effect' really bothers me and is one of the settings (along with FOV) that console users should be able to toggle. Here's hoping next gen consoles allow such settings to be tweaked and it becomes a norm

I dont know what to tell you. On my 55 c8 lg oled looks awesome. Best looking game this gen IMO

Angelv577 said:
I dont know what to tell you. On my 55 c8 lg oled looks awesome. Best looking game this gen IMO

I agree...there are no better character models anywhere, but the grain is really bothering me ... It actually looked better on the older TV.

Games on the consoles should include graphics option, cinematic effect is ugh annoying as heck, i also solved myself by tuning sharpness, random noise reduction and digital reduction on my 4K TV

Around the Network

I'm not far into the game but it's pretty good despite being really slow to start. I think I'm about three hours in. It looks great but not mind-blowing. Not yet, at least.

*Edit*; I'm playing on a pro with a 4k tv, as well. I'm noticing a few of technical issues. Almost like it's meant to run on PS5

Last edited by d21lewis - on 23 June 2020

It's weird not to have the option to disable it, but you'll get used to it, trust me

Can you not turn off 4k?

I was intrigued by the film grain. I thought my HDR wasn't working well or something like that. Then I found it as a toggle on the photo mode.

It's bothering me a bit too.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I played on Pro on 4k HDR LED. The film grain didn't bother me at all. Perhaps you have some setting in your TV that is doing it. Like extra sharpening, noise reduction or anything else. Turn off all post processing of the TV to test.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."