By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

KLAMarine said:
BraLoD said:

This game is one of the games that deserve the most to be called a masterpiece. It's one of the least flawed games ever made, actually I can point no flaws on it myself, it's completely solid all around.

I thought with time it would be distancing itself from the original but it's actually growing even more on me.

Naughty Dog is truly one of a kind nowdays, this game is really powerful.

10/10 very easily.

terrible pacing

ham-fisted messaging

contrivances

lack of multiplayer (previous game had mp meaning more bang for your buck, this one doesn't have it)

forced drama

terrible ending

All subjective. And this was never going to be a MP game, never promised to be either, so you can't lower its score for not having a MP mode. Otherwise, you have to do the same for every SP game out there.

Last edited by Hynad - on 17 August 2020

Around the Network
John2290 said:
BraLoD said:

This game is one of the games that deserve the most to be called a masterpiece. It's one of the least flawed games ever made, actually I can point no flaws on it myself, it's completely solid all around.

I thought with time it would be distancing itself from the original but it's actually growing even more on me.

10/10 very easily.

I don't understand that line of thought, just because it's built really well doesn't male it instantly a masterpiece. Nioh 2 is built extremly well, even better than the original but it fails at so much and falls so short from the original masterpiece and same with this  sure a game can be so good in some aspects that it outshines the bad, The Witcher 3 at release or Ghost of Tsushima for example but TLOU2 has so many flaws, the progression hit mid game for one thing, the worst pacing in a game since.... dammit, I can't even remember anything, the story inconsistencies and the massive gap between the good writing and the bad writing. The Ai being mindless after you realise it's just an illusion of extra animations and the inconsistency in level design throughout the game which feeds back into the awful, pacing for another. You still don't see these issues? And that's before the story fuck ups and these kills that try to be emotional and shocking but you don't know who you're even killing or why you should care until after... okay, I'm not getting into the story and characters, there is too much wrong but you really don't see them? Did you play in Spanish? Did that help mask sone of the issues if you did? I genuinely don't understand how people can see this game as a 10 but calling it a masterpiece is another thing entirely, I'd have loved to have my playthrough be as good as yours was, I envy ya, man. 

It's quite amusing to see you go after people that like this game but you gotta remember that taste is subjective man.

For me TLOU2 is without a doubt the best 1st party title from Sony this generation. And that's even without the missing Factions multiplayer that made the first game become my overall favorite game of last generation.

All games have strengths and weaknesses. The Witcher 3 has awful combat and Ghost of Tsushima shares many of Assassin's Creed's weaknesses. But I fully understand that these games are someone else's favorites.

I get it. You really don't like the story in TLOU2 and that's fine. Other people do though and with time I hope you'll be able to somehow come to terms with that.

Hynad said:
KLAMarine said:

terrible pacing

ham-fisted messaging

contrivances

lack of multiplayer (previous game had mp meaning more bang for your buck, this one doesn't have it)

forced drama

terrible ending

All subjective. And this was never going to be a MP game, never promised to be either, so you can't lower its score for not having a MP mode. Otherwise, you have to do the same for every SP game out there.

"you can't lower its score for not having a MP mode"

>Sure I can. The score I give a game is subjective meaning I'm perfectly free to lower its score as I see fit.

TLoU had MP, TLoU2 does not. As a result, I feel it deserves to suffer a lower score.

KLAMarine said:
Hynad said:

"you can't lower its score for not having a MP mode"

>Sure I can. The score I give a game is subjective meaning I'm perfectly free to lower its score as I see fit.

TLoU had MP, TLoU2 does not. As a result, I feel it deserves to suffer a lower score.

I don't think you even played the game. And you're only going off the hive mind that complained about the game since the leaks and blew everything out of proportion.

That's my subjective opinion on your take on the game since your first comment about it post release.

Last edited by Hynad - on 17 August 2020

KLAMarine said:
BraLoD said:

10/10 very easily.

terrible pacing

ham-fisted messaging

contrivances

forced drama

terrible ending

With improved gameplay, considerably bigger design in scope with environments to go with it and arguably better level design than its predecessor.

Story is subjective. I found that part worse than the first game but still pretty decent. It dragged on a bit at the end and went too dark for too long (my main gripe). The forced messaging and drama I can gloss over as I roll my eyes as with most video games.. at least this one at least tried to make a stab at a well written story and characters - come at me haters. And while not a perfect game, its undeniably a well done one.

Did you enjoy playing the TLOU2? Or just negging on the story and lack of MP? Just curious..

Around the Network
John2290 said:
BraLoD said:

It's ok if you don't like it.

It's okay to be Brazilian. 

Oh thank god. So i dont need to walk around with an apology letter on my pocked then.

The only part I found to be kinda lackluster was the rattlers, I mean they could developed better but the ending at the farm could be fair.

As for the ending being disappointing, hello, what about the ending of part I? Well, maybe a lot of people found the “battle” against Jerry satisfying...
At least in part II you have a “proper” final fight and most important, the player got a bigger vision of the world after a pandemic, vision about war being war despite the chaos. What people really do to survive.

When all the dust is settle, some will realise that what ND achieved with this game is something else, you probably didn’t like the story, but is keeping players talking about the game.

Before playing this game, I got GOW as being the best game of PS4 and the generation, but now I have a clear winner with the TLOU part II. 

Okay I'm gonna break my self-imposed rule about not discussing this game anymore since we appear to be largely past the freakout episode now. I loved The Last of Us Part II originally but wasn't sure where my opinion would land after I'd let the whole experience settle more. I've played through this game six times now though and I like it even better now than I did on my first playthrough. I think this may actually be my personal favorite game. It's got some elements I disagree with and don't much care for, but it's still one of my absolute all-time favorites because the good aspects outweigh them by that much.

I don't normally even attempt numerical scoring because of how my opinions can change over time, but I feel like doing so today. Consider this a snapshot of my present view of The Last of Us Part II:

(I'll divide my scoring of the story into four game chapters for more clarity. Scoring is on a scale of 1 to 10.)

The Story and Characters

Opening Chapter: 10
Ellie's Act: 10
Abby's Act: 8
Closing Chapter: 12

Other Stuff

Writing: 9
Voice Acting: 10
Pacing: 10
Music: 10
Controls: 10
Graphics: 27

Overall Score: 9.6

The best part of TLOU2 is the reviews!

Anguish over “is it 9.4 or 9.6” - 9/10
Review bombing - 10/10
Political outrage- 10/10
GOTY / best ever declarations - 10/10

Overall, this thread was a great overview of the proceedings, better than any one review. 10/10, best review show ever!

BraLoD said:

Seems like the score here has settled on 94.

So kudos to @HollyGamer, @JRPGfan, @sales2099, @hinch and @COKTOE for predicting the right score!

Was close a couple times, but this was the first one I nailed. Followed it up by being 7 points off on Ghost Of Tsushima. 😐

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."