By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do we have nay sales data for Xbox One X and PS4Pro?

Just curious. I thought it was a great idea to release a hardware mid gen and it seems everybody that bought it is quite happy with it.

I heard soooooooooo many people against it when it was announced, that developers would forget about the base consoles, that it would split the fan base, that parent wouldn't know which console to buy to their kids etc etc.

SO the question is, was it successful from a sales point of view? Do we have data on it?

Many thanks!

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 01 June 2020

Around the Network

I don't think we have good data on either one. I can tell you anecdotally that I see lots of both of them out in the wild. However, I live in a very wealthy suburb of Washington, DC, so it is likely that what I'm seeing is not representative of the rest of the world.

afaik the only good sales data we have on PS4pro and X1X is from Japan, where the former sold ~1.5m units and the later 20k units (it's Japan) in total

for the PS4pro that represents about 26% (1.5m of 5.7m) of PS4s sold in Japan since it's release
for the X1X that represents about 66% (20k of 30k) of X1s sold in Japan since it's release

So I guess about 20% of worldwide PS4 sales might have been PS4pros since it's release, as for the X1X I doubt we can draw any hint from the jpn data, as the X1 is simply not popular enough there.

The last I remember from official source was a few months after release of PS4Pro (perhaps 6 months) and it had that one in every 4 new consoles sold was a PS4Pro.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lafiel said:

afaik the only good sales data we have on PS4pro and X1X is from Japan, where the former sold ~1.5m units and the later 20k units (it's Japan) in total

for the PS4pro that represents about 26% (1.5m of 5.7m) of PS4s sold in Japan since it's release
for the X1X that represents about 66% (20k of 30k) of X1s sold in Japan since it's release

So I guess about 20% of worldwide PS4 sales might have been PS4pros since it's release, as for the X1X I doubt we can draw any hint from the jpn data, as the X1 is simply not popular enough there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we consider sales only AFTER PS4Pro was released, then the % of PS4Pro will be much higher correct? Because those 1,7M PS4Pro units were sold in 3 years while the 5,7M were in 7 years correct? If yes then it means maybe 50% that people going to buy a PS4Pro actually chooses the more expensive option which would be a lot.

Around the Network

As far as pleasing customers, these models are likely a success. As far as growing the customer base, they don't seem to be having much effect. Total sales for Playstation + XBox systems are pretty similar for this generation as they were for the previous generations. Of course, we won't know for sure until all of the sales are done, but that is the way it is looking. These models mostly sold a better product to people who were going to buy a console anyway.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Lafiel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we consider sales only AFTER PS4Pro was released, then the % of PS4Pro will be much higher correct? Because those 1,7M PS4Pro units were sold in 3 years while the 5,7M were in 7 years correct? If yes then it means maybe 50% that people going to buy a PS4Pro actually chooses the more expensive option which would be a lot.

that number is since the PS4pro release, the PS4 has sold 9.1m in total in Japan - I guess I worded that not that well

Lafiel said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

that number is since the PS4pro release, the PS4 has sold 9.1m in total in Japan - I guess I worded that not that well

Oh perfect, many thanks!