By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next Gen System

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

And from those many very few will be buying their new console to play older games on it, crossgen sure they will play some (but the newer version) but very few will buy the new console to replay their old games.

Been following the debate, I’m just gonna throw out there people didn’t buy PS4 in the millions year 1 to play KZ Shadowfall and Knack. They bought the console for an investment in the new generation and to play the best versions of cross gen titles. BC tends to be a feature people want around launch period to ease themselves into the next gen/finish off unplayed games. 

But hey if that’s not your cup of tea you can wait for the first round of price cuts. That’s what I did for 360 and XB1. This time around I just don’t want to play the “poor mans” version of Halo Infinite. I imagine that mentality is felt by many others in regards to cross gen multiplats if they have the money to do something about it. 

Cross-gen releases and BC are two different things. Sure people buy a new console to play the better version of cross-gen titles. Heck I held off on GTA 5 because there was no chance it wasn't going to get a ps4 release (despite many people claiming it wouldn't). And I'm not going to buy Cyberpunk either for ps4, will wait until I have a ps5. Some other games did get free updates like Flower, nice to have but not what I bought a ps4 for.

Yet BC, didn't miss it. I'm not going to buy a ps5 looking forward to play ps3 games on it.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
sales2099 said:

Been following the debate, I’m just gonna throw out there people didn’t buy PS4 in the millions year 1 to play KZ Shadowfall and Knack. They bought the console for an investment in the new generation and to play the best versions of cross gen titles. BC tends to be a feature people want around launch period to ease themselves into the next gen/finish off unplayed games. 

But hey if that’s not your cup of tea you can wait for the first round of price cuts. That’s what I did for 360 and XB1. This time around I just don’t want to play the “poor mans” version of Halo Infinite. I imagine that mentality is felt by many others in regards to cross gen multiplats if they have the money to do something about it. 

Cross-gen releases and BC are two different things. Sure people buy a new console to play the better version of cross-gen titles. Heck I held off on GTA 5 because there was no chance it wasn't going to get a ps4 release (despite many people claiming it wouldn't). And I'm not going to buy Cyberpunk either for ps4, will wait until I have a ps5. Some other games did get free updates like Flower, nice to have but not what I bought a ps4 for.

Yet BC, didn't miss it. I'm not going to buy a ps5 looking forward to play ps3 games on it.

Yes they are different, I just meant to say BC tends to be a requested feature every gen around launch period and then dies down in the later half of year 1. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

hinch said:
sales2099 said:

People don't buy new consoles to play old stuff, they want new gaming experience and games. Many bought a PS4 with Killzone: Shadowfall as it was a promising looking game that got a lot of media attention back with with the consoles reveal. Its sales were very much front ended and did reasonable well verses more established and bigger IP's like Battlefield 4, during the launch and Q4.

BC is a nice thing to have for consoles, but come on...

Nm the BC point that’s just me saying people usually talk about it around launch period. But don’t go all historical revisionist on me with KZ. That is most definitely not where gamers spent their time compared to all the cross gen titles. People bought PS4 for the investment knowing better exclusives would eventually come out and spent their money on the best versions of cross gen games in the meantime. 

I mean cmon it got the lowest meta in the series, sold over a million naturally and clawed its way to 2 million lifetime via bargain pricing. I laugh whenever I hear the anti cross gen argument because those people disregard their own history. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 04 June 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

100 Reasons Why PS5 Should Be Worried About the XBOX.

sales2099 said
hinch said:

People don't buy new consoles to play old stuff, they want new gaming experience and games. Many bought a PS4 with Killzone: Shadowfall as it was a promising looking game that got a lot of media attention back with with the consoles reveal. Its sales were very much front ended and did reasonable well verses more established and bigger IP's like Battlefield 4, during the launch and Q4.

Nm the BC point that’s just me saying people usually talk about it around launch period. But don’t go all historical revisionist on me with KZ. That is most definitely not where gamers spent their time compared to all the cross gen titles. People bought PS4 for the investment knowing better exclusives would eventually come out and spent their money on the best versions of cross gen games in the meantime. 

I mean cmon it got the lowest meta in the series, sold over a million naturally and clawed its way to 2 million lifetime via bargain pricing. I laugh whenever I hear the anti cross gen argument because those people disregard their own history. 

Funnily enough I got my PS4 to play new games and yes KZ:SF was one despite reviews, which was not bad. I don't go by that metric and lots of people don't either. Most games I've enjoyed and completed don't even reach the 80 mark. Doesn't mean they are no good, critic reviews are all subjective to the reviewer anyway.

I don't get the logic. Or you're just trying to downplay the importance of first party titles in the initial years, because, reasons. And the 'best version' of a game has never been a factor in what makes a console popular.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 June 2020

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

And from those many very few will be buying their new console to play older games on it, crossgen sure they will play some (but the newer version) but very few will buy the new console to replay their old games.

You know Knack outsold Mario in UK at launch right? And KZ Shadowfall sold quite well, Infamous SS also sold well.

But I do agree that a good portion antecipated the buying of the console to play the better version of the crossgen games (since they were going to buy it anyway). But even if there were BC on PS4 very few were going to buy it just to replay the games they were already playing on PS3. At most some X360 gamers or Wii gamers would like the idea of not having to play PS3, but being able to buy second game hand games very cheap and play on PS4 on the first couple years.

I don't know why it is so hard to Pug to get it (and need to pretend I miss the point), BC is certainly a lot of value to some customers and no value to others (and as long as it doesn't add significant cost sure it is a good thing to have) it still doesn't move sales. He tried to use "evidence" from BC on X1 and when shut down he complained that I was using sales because I was butthurt about the BC on X1 and on XSX, even if I have praised it as probably being much better than the one on PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hinch said:
sales2099 said

Funnily enough I got my PS4 to play new games and yes KZ:SF was one despite reviews, which was not bad. I don't go by that metric and lots of people don't either. Most games I've enjoyed and completed don't even reach the 80 mark. Doesn't mean they are no good, critic reviews are all subjective to the reviewer anyway.

I don't get the logic. Or you're just trying to downplay the importance of first party titles in the initial years, because, reasons. And the 'best version' of a game has never been a factor in what makes a console popular.

Well I'm a diehard fan of Playstation so he can make fun but the 3 games I bought the console for and enjoyed most the first year were KZ:SF (a lot easier to play than the other 3 and much prettier), Knack (as R&C wasn't on launch and that was the platformer I had to enjoy, and plat with the use of the smarthphone app, they were doing a lot of tie-in the start of the gen then everyone forgot about it) and Infamous Second Son (plat 1 and a half time, because the first half was on the wrong account).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hinch said:
sales2099 said:

And yet the best selling PS4 game is actually a 7th gen game, and one of the top 5 PS4 exclusives is actually a PS3 game (which remained as THE top exclusive for a long time).
I can't help but wonder what all those millions of people who bought GTAV and TLO on PS4 would have done if those games hadn't been remastered for it; would they had bought them for the PS3 or would they had just skip them?

btw, I'm willing to bet that TLO2 will keep selling really well on the PS5 even if they don't remaster it.

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

Well I'm a diehard fan of Playstation so he can make fun but the 3 games I bought the console for and enjoyed most the first year were KZ:SF (a lot easier to play than the other 3 and much prettier), Knack (as R&C wasn't on launch and that was the platformer I had to enjoy, and plat with the use of the smarthphone app, they were doing a lot of tie-in the start of the gen then everyone forgot about it) and Infamous Second Son (plat 1 and a half time, because the first half was on the wrong account).

well i was just out off college, broke and unemployed by the time the ps4 launched. But I just started working when infamous launched and I sure dam bought myself a ps4 with infamous and a 60" tv. In hindsight, probably not the first thing I should have spend over a grand on when I dint even have a car yet. But I sure dont regret it. I sure as hell would not have done so for a game I could still play on my ps3.  

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Gamers: "I didn't buy a PS4 to play old games."

Also gamers in 2014: "TLoU remastered is the best game on PS4!"

Google it.

And Switch gamers, YOU BETTER NOT have anything negative to say about cross gen titles...