By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

eva01beserk said:
kirby007 said:

sony just pays reviewers better

Where you think that money comes from? 

remasters

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Farsala said:

Absolutely not. They might have had a push for 2-3 years, and guess what sales were better during those years. But consistency is needed.

So how does that count as never catering towards?

Their actions as a whole for 18 years.

Farsala said:
kirby007 said:

So how does that count as never catering towards?

Their actions as a whole for 18 years.

whatever, you said never, atleast 6 years of investments with almost zero roi doesnt count as never for me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

All those bolded games being hyped up remind me so much of the Vita's 1st party lineup being hyped up. Games I had never heard of, games from studios without much of a good track record. Games that would also be available on another platform (PS4 in Vita's case, PC in XB2's case). I remember arguing with Sony hardcores over whether or not Vita would have a lineup to compete with 3DS. They continually grasped at straws, pinning their hopes on the most unknown, unproven studios. Here we see the same thing. History repeats itself I guess. 

I hear ya, but I wouldn’t call Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Playground unproven studios. They all produce some of the most critically acclaimed games in the last decade. So it’s not all hopes and dreams. 

Absolutely agreed on Playground, Obsidian, and NT not being unproven studios. I wasn't talking about those three studios at all. See my previous reply to Shika for more on that.

NightlyPoe said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes. Imagine you are halfway into the 360/PS3 generation. You've already got ten-twenty 360 games. Then your 360 RRODs. Are you seriously going to buy a PS3, and all those games over again? Or just eat your loss, and buy another 360? 

1.  Microsoft extended a generous warranty.

2.  It goes without saying that a product that is receiving international news articles detailing children crying because of mass catastrophic hardware failure might lose more than a few potential customers.

They did extend a generous warranty. Replacement 360's in all likelyhood got counted as a sale though.

Nobody really knew the extent of the RROD fiasco until it was long over. Analysts were guessing anywhere from 10% to 30% failure rate on first gen 360s. MS was the only one that knew the real number to be around 50% at the time, and hardcore Xbox fans were guessing as low as 8%. Trust me, I was in the Xbox camp at the time, and wrongly shrugged off the RROD issue as if it was nothing. It's really hard for something like RROD to affect sales in a negative fashion, when the actual failure rate is a giant question mark for most consumers.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:
For thouse holding on to halo as the saving grace come November. Just remember that halo has been poorly received with each iteration after bungie left while pretty much all of sonys first party studios have been releasing ever better received games. On what are you guys basing that halo will have no equal when neither company has had their show yet? Or is waiting only efective while it's beneficial for MS?

It’s a new engine that streamlines development, 5 years in the making (instead of 3), all ready proven to learn about classic art styles, split screen, and Halo Reach armor unlock systems. Call us Halo fans cautiously optimistic. 

Real talk here, the only game that could touch Halo Infinite is LOU2, but that’s releasing soon and this won’t help much come November (by that I mean the hype will have worn off).  Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman 2, GOW 2 are all possible, but do you think they can be ready by this November? Maybe Horizon 2, MAYBE given it released in 2017 compared to the rest in 2018. But even then it’s a single player game up against a single player/multiplayer double threat.

Historically PS doesn’t launch with their best. Who still talks about Resistance and Killzone Shadowfall these days when reminiscing about old PS classics? 

So your preferences say halo will be better? Even though no more than a cg trailers has been release. But I cant argue against someones preference. 

Only established big game that we know is in development that could come is horizon 2. Dosent mean something we dont know off could still come. Considering also that Sony has better third party connections specially japannese studios. But even then, dint horizon sold way better than halo 5? And it was also well more critically aclaimed. So if it ended up with halo vs horizon I would put my money on horizon based on recent history.

Does MS launch with their best? What did the x1 launch with? Arent you one of the main ones saying launch games arent good? If so does that mean it's all down hill after halo infinite? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:
I was going to write up another reply to Rol and Sales person, but I realized...their revisionist history is at odds with reality and no amount of arguing is going to make them concede the point. I don't expect them to agree with me, but If we're not even adhering to the same flow of time and see history from a completely different perspective than what is real, then there's no way this can be a fruitful discussion.

Rol, your assertion that 'exclusives' are the least important of the factors you listed is just so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Sales, your revisionist history where you're passing the buck and saying 'nuh uh, what you say Xbox does...well Sony does it' is also not really in line with what really happened or how history went. I also need to point out that my example of Rare was simply the progenitor to the problem Microsoft has. they acquire studios and do nothing with them. They did it with Rare and have not changed their tone ever since then. when was the last time a Microsoft helmed studio made something as epic and groundbreaking as Banjo Kazooie? When was the last time we had high quality middle-tier exclusives on Xbox? we just haven't in ages. That's my point.

Seriously, get with reality. I get that you have your preferences - we all do - but you can't just disregard everything about history in order to fuel your faulty narrative. Regardless of personal preferences, the sales history of these two companies speak a wholly different story than the one you're trying to tell.

Ah the ol console wars retreat, paving the way for an endless cycle of war of ideas. I said so many things and you just mentally block it out and say it’s revisionism....that’s weak. Bet you won’t even bother to see their studios and what they got cooking, you prefer to just live in the past. It’s literally the first page of Xbox Empire on here! Lol 

Sorry but the gamers push the power narrative onto Sony...why you think Sony put their name on the Unreal 5 demo??? Because the power narrative matters and they are giving their fans what they want: that juicy narrative kept from 2006-2017. So don’t complain when MS takes it away but “oh no, I don’t like the way they market it”. It’s a double standard, plain and simple. 

Lately, I really enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5. Two solid games under their helm. Sea of Thieves has truly turned into something special with constant updates and a following more dedicated since the N64 days. Outer Worlds is a promising new IP and while not officially under MS, they did own Obsidian when the game released and own the rights going forward. Not all doom and gloom. 

You right in that exclusives do have their place, I await your reaction come July. And I don’t think Sony has anything that can touch Halo Infinite at launch. 

Probably TLOU2 being improved on PS5 would already be enough to counter Halo 6 crossgen. But Sony haven't revealed almost nothing yet, so you can rest knowing they most likely will have something that will review and sell better than Halo 6.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kirby007 said:
eva01beserk said:
For thouse holding on to halo as the saving grace come November. Just remember that halo has been poorly received with each iteration after bungie left while pretty much all of sonys first party studios have been releasing ever better received games. On what are you guys basing that halo will have no equal when neither company has had their show yet? Or is waiting only efective while it's beneficial for MS?

sony just pays reviewers better

They also pay better the customers to force them to buy more games right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

1st bold: Calling Halo 4 and 5 poorly received seems a bit disingenuous to me. They got an 87 and an 84 on meta. While that is lower than the Bungie Halo games, it is still quite high overall. And while there were definitely Halo fans that had issues with the multiplayer in 4 and the singleplayer in 5 in particular, the games were definitely quite successful in terms of sales, Halo 4 selling nearly as much as Halo 3 in spite of releasing 1 year before the end of the generation, while Halo 5 officially sold 5m in the first 3 months (and though it was never officially announced to the public, Pachter says he had a conversation with a MS exec in 2017 who told him that the game had nearly sold as many copies as the earlier Halo games, so nearly 10m by 2017). And MS has been making a lot of smart decisions with Infinite which should in theory lead to better reviews and sales; new lead writer who previously did Batman Arkham (since Halo 5 story was criticized), removal of lootboxes from multiplayer (since they were criticized in 5), 2 more years of development than 4 and 5 got, a new engine (since graphics in 5 were criticized), a return to the classic Bungie artstyle, a setting on an actual Halo ring for nostalgia purposes, etc.

2nd bold: Saying that Sony’s 1st party reception is continually increasing also seems a bit disingenuous, at least if you are referring to reviews. Uncharted 4 reviews were down from TLOU. Infamous Second Son reviews were down from Infamous 1 and 2. MLB The Show 20 reviews were down from MLB 19. Sony Bend got a fairly meh 71 meta on Days Gone. Polyphony’s GT Sport reviews were down compared to GT6. So while some Sony studios like Guerilla, Santa Monica, and Pixelopus are seeing scoring improvements, not all of them are.

So you agree that halo has been on the decline since 343i took over. No sales figures just hear say. The 5m number wasent even confirmed if I'm not mistaken. They always put earned amount counting in console bundles and remotes and what ever else. The speculations and promises are yet to be proven. But I do belive that they would learned from their mistakes. You might put to much emphasis on metacritic then. Cuz fan backlash was big for halo. There are some games that metacritic just isint reliable with.

Uncharted 3 had 92 . while uncharted 4 had 93. Would be unfair to compare it to a different franchise cuz is made by the same studio. Something that only applys to MS as they lock a studio to a single franchise. But infamous did score less but it sold more. Sony bend dint even do console games before they made handheld ports. This is lime their first real game in a long time if ever. Dont know about mlb, I hate sports game and wont even bother to research such a plague to gaming. Grand turismo did peak at 3. Still hate all Sims and sports.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

It’s a new engine that streamlines development, 5 years in the making (instead of 3), all ready proven to learn about classic art styles, split screen, and Halo Reach armor unlock systems. Call us Halo fans cautiously optimistic. 

Real talk here, the only game that could touch Halo Infinite is LOU2, but that’s releasing soon and this won’t help much come November (by that I mean the hype will have worn off).  Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman 2, GOW 2 are all possible, but do you think they can be ready by this November? Maybe Horizon 2, MAYBE given it released in 2017 compared to the rest in 2018. But even then it’s a single player game up against a single player/multiplayer double threat.

Historically PS doesn’t launch with their best. Who still talks about Resistance and Killzone Shadowfall these days when reminiscing about old PS classics? 

There are plenty of people in VGC that still reminisce about Resistance and I don't remember any title from X1 and even X360 that launched with the console that is still talked today in a good way.

eva01beserk said:
Pok87 said:

There will be more owners of both consoles at once - Xbox and PS5 - because this time MS will have more good exclusive games.

Then you might want to revise your prediction. As you have the ps5 selling less than the ps4. 

I didn't say that both consoles will sell better. The console market will expand, but the PS5 will sell slightly worse than the PS4, while the new Xbox will sell much better than the Xbox One.