By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Action RPG from Tales guys SCARLET NEXUS announced!

Moren said:
Looks like Astral Chain but less awful.

I am almost done with Astral Chain and will give personal thoughts. I hope to see some of yall in there for a good debate. I think Astral Chain is the best thing to come from them.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I mean, basically all the most unique elements of Astral Chain don't really seem to be replicated here - there's no chain mechanic I can see (literally the gimmick of the game), the color scheme is somewhat similar but focuses significantly more on reds than blues and purples (so more like Code Vein than say Astral Chain which had a more even mixture), the characters don't look like "cops" but more like "rogues", and the enemies look more like something you'd see in some kind of Souls-like than in Astral Chain. I would actually say the visual ques make this look less like Astral Chain as a whole, bare a few exceptions, like the digital artifacts that make up parts of the environment, or the city, or the guy who's mask looks a little like HAL's. 

Regardless yea, I went a little too far for the sake of exaggeration and joking in saying "This doesn't even look like Astral Chain", at the same time I obviously did not actually pour hot wax on myself, so It looks somewhat similar to both games imo. 

Gameplay wise though I'm not sure? It looks a bit more like it is in the character-action category than a Souls-like, but it also doesn't really seem to share the sluggishness or mechanics of Astral Chain.

I would not call Astral Chain  sluggish. 

Compared to souls-like? Yea it isnt. Compared to other high octane action games? It kinda is. The dodge is mostly what I was referring to - it's kinda awful. But then again a lot of the game is figuring out how to speed yourself up and kill as quickly as possible.  

Xxain said:

I would not call Astral Chain  sluggish. 

Compared to souls-like? Yea it isnt. Compared to other high octane action games? It kinda is. The dodge is mostly what I was referring to - it's kinda awful. But then again a lot of the game is figuring out how to speed yourself up and kill as quickly as possible.  

I feel like at first I was playing it like Bayonetta where you can pretty much dodge out of any attack you're doing instantly.  In Astral Chain you actually have to commit to your moves and attacking leaves you vulnerable.  It requires a much different playstyle, but once I got used to it I loved it.

JWeinCom said:

I feel like at first I was playing it like Bayonetta where you can pretty much dodge out of any attack you're doing instantly.  In Astral Chain you actually have to commit to your moves and attacking leaves you vulnerable.  It requires a much different playstyle, but once I got used to it I loved it.

I agree, I like it a lot too, the only thing I'd say that is outright awful is the rating system. But that's a discussion for another time I suppose. 

Moren said:
Looks like Astral Chain but less awful.

Nice hot take. Astral Chain is great. 87 meta. 89 User score. If you didn't like it. That's cool but to call it awful is a hot take.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Looks pretty cool to be honest, looking forward to seeing more of it

If the battle system is great, I may end up giving this game a try (a decent story would be nice bonus).

Captain_Yuri said:
Out of all the games I saw in the xbox event, I was excited for this one the most! Glad to see it's coming to Steam but too bad it's skipping the Switch.

Yeah, I'll pick it up when it gets ported. I really need the ability to pick up and play anywhere with an RPG these days. It's honestly getting to be make or break anymore. If it's a game I HAVE to play, I'll bite the bullet and "preview" the first 10-20 hours on PS4 and then do a full run-through on the Switch. I just don't have the time or desire to put 100+ hours into one game when I'm strictly tied to the couch. 

For a lot of older systems I have two setups, so I can get a change of scenery when playing a classic RPG - and usually alternate playing it with something fun and breezy on a handheld for a change of pace. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I pre-ordered for PS4 on Amazon. Also tales of Arise. Not many PS4 games pre-ordered this year. Really is winding down. Bummer. I love the PS4.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't know why you imagine  Astral chain from this game.
Isn't it code vein?

The producer is the same person.

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m