By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA free next gen upgrades will only last for limited amount of months. Madden 21.

"In a press release, EA confirmed that to receive the free upgrade of Madden 21, you'll need to purchase the game on Xbox One by December 31, 2020 and upgrade to the Series X by March 31, 2021."https://www.gamespot.com/articles/madden-nfl-21-confirmed-for-xbox-series-x/1100-6476974/

You have to purchase the game before a certain date and upgrade to next gen before. a certain date to get the free update.

Around the Network

Guess that means EA is out on the general concept of Smart Delivery. What a surprise

Hiku said:

If there was one year they could have taken more than a year to push out a new Madden, it would be this one where there's no NFL going on for who knows how long. But I guess they want to be quick with a next gen version.

I imagine EA are not the only ones who will do this upgrade a limited time offer. Limited time may become the norm, but I can't really complain since it is free for a while, and it cost them money to do. Maybe not much, but still.

EA is the only major publisher doing this. Others are using MS Smart Delivery (buy one game works on every supported Xbox).

EA never disappoints lul

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hiku said:
jason1637 said:

EA is the only major publisher doing this. Others are using MS Smart Delivery (buy one game works on every supported Xbox).

How many have announced that they're going to provide Smart Delivery content for free?
I only know CD Project Red off the top of my head. But I imagine most companies do not want to make any promises at this stage. 

According to the Verge Ubisoft, Sega, Deep Silver, codemaster, CD Project Red and Bandai are some lare publishers that announced support will support it. https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21250334/xbox-series-x-free-games-smart-delivery-one-upgrade-list-ea

Around the Network

Expected. Greedy EA strikes again. I'm surprised they even offer free upgrade for a limited time.

Bad but not that bad, the game releases in August normally maybe later this year and if you did not buy this gen version before the end of the year why would you not just buy the next gen version?

konnichiwa said:
Bad but not that bad, the game releases in August normally maybe later this year and if you did not buy this gen version before the end of the year why would you not just buy the next gen version?

It's not about "bad" or not "that bad". It's about EA aka "the worst publishers" in gaming industry setting the precedent that people can't expect to get free upgrades for existing games for next-gen consoles without actual reason. Can't say I wasn't expecting this because it's EA and of course I expected them to do so but still.

3 months time limit seems reasonable for a game that has a total time limit of 12 months.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Typical EA behavior: when having the option of being nice or being a dick, they always go for the second one.

It won't surprise me if the upgrade is available after the limit, but for a price.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.