By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo banned Square from their offices for 10 years after FFVII went to PlayStation. EDIT: japanese business model is akin to Yakuza

Tagged games:

What do you think

Nintendo is God they never make a mistake 7 26.92%

Square the ones who to be blame 8 30.77%

I dont why i just hate Sony 2 7.69%

I 9 34.62%

Total:26

All sides have some blame Nintendo with their old ways. Square with their backstabbing of Nintendo after a very healthy work relationship and then Sony for buying Square and using them as a pawn in their game to have full control on the market of video games. It is the reason why Final Fantasy has so few spirits and music in the game even though they have a playable character (Cloud) in the game. On a personal note I am happy that the things turned out the way they did because without it and the fallout of the Nintendo PlayStation deal games like Mario 64 and the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time wouldn't have happened or if they did been vastly different and those are two best games of the 5th generation (and to some the best games of all time) with FFVII being a close 3rd.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

But unlike with business where money is the main factor, if you married for money, you married for the wrong reason. Your analogy is stupid.

You can marry out of love and than decide money is more important afterwards, that stuff actually happens. So point still stands.

DonFerrari said:

And also marriage is a contract, that if any of the parties don't want to be part of anymore they can divorce, so not sure what is the problem he is seeing. Meanwhile he and some others ignored that Nintendo broke contract on the CD development with Sony and instead of moaning we got playstation, talk about being revengefull =p

Than replace marriage with long term partner (Un-married) same results apply.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

But unlike with business where money is the main factor, if you married for money, you married for the wrong reason. Your analogy is stupid.

You can marry out of love and than decide money is more important afterwards, that stuff actually happens. So point still stands.

DonFerrari said:

And also marriage is a contract, that if any of the parties don't want to be part of anymore they can divorce, so not sure what is the problem he is seeing. Meanwhile he and some others ignored that Nintendo broke contract on the CD development with Sony and instead of moaning we got playstation, talk about being revengefull =p

Than replace marriage with long term partner (Un-married) same results apply.

No. It doesn't stand. Business is business. In business you don't stick around with a given entity out of emotional attachment or empathy or what have you. You go where the money is, or where deals are better. That's what Squaresoft did. And history demonstrates that it was ultimately plenty healthy for their business. You lot try to include emotions into the mix and it's quite hilarious to say the least.

Last edited by Hynad - on 21 April 2020

I don't have a side but I find it funny the people defending Square have FFVII avatars.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Both sides had flaws that affected the long-successful relationship. In the end, it is what it is. Nintendo had two struggling home consoles after the SNES (but remained dominant in the handheld market in which their profits/revenue weren’t badly affect unlike Sega) and Squaresoft released FFVII on PS1 to incredible success (which almost got undermined when Square got too ambitious with the multimedia projects that left them in really bad shape before the merger with Enix).

Fortunately, both sides made up and FFVII (along with a butt load of other FF games) finally released on a Nintendo console after over 20 years and Cloud had his legacy immortalized in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS and Ultimate, even if the content beyond Cloud was...minimal at best. Hell, Nintendo gained some exclusive content from SE in recent generations.

Where will things go from here, who knows. Maybe one day FFVII remake will release on a Nintendo console. Or maybe not. Hopefully, Nintendo and SE will continue to garner great success in the short and long term future.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Hynad said:

Logical fallacy. One prior event doesn’t result in all other events sharing the same parameters.

No logical fallacy here. You know that you are only left with the choice between conceding that Nintendo wasn't evil or committing hypocrisy by saying that Sony wasn't at fault for games going to Xbox when Microsoft threw money around.

@Leynos If you believe that there was no money in play when Tales of Vesperia was made exclusively for the Xbox 360 (ultimately timed exclusivity), a console that wasn't selling well anywhere at the time the decision was made, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, that's logical fallacy. But you can never concede to being wrong, so why do I bother? You mention one event, and says all events that happened after it necessarily happened for the same reason. That's logical fallacy and one heck of an intellectual short-cut. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 21 April 2020

Hynad said:

No. It doesn't stand. Business is business. In business you don't stick around with a given entity out of emotional attachment or empathy or what have you. You go where the money is, or where deals are better. That's what Squaresoft did. And history demonstrates that it was ultimately plenty healthy for their business. You lot try to include emotions into the mix and it's quite hilarious to say the least.

You dont know the past console industry very well than. It was very passionate industry especally for Japanese developers. There is alot of honor when it comes to buisness deals and making games. Break that honor than expect to be shafted. In this case, Square broke that honor with Nintendo and due to there dishonorablity, Nintendo banned them from thier offices. Its a fair call regardless whos in the right or wrong.

If Square wanted to be still friends with Nintendo than they should have reconsidered there decision to move. Remember Square changed, not Nintendo.

Wow, 90's nintendo is just as bad as 2010's xbox. Cut off their nose to spite their face for a whole decade.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

You dont know the past console industry very well than. It was very passionate industry especally for Japanese developers. There is alot of honor when it comes to buisness deals and making games. Break that honor than expect to be shafted. In this case, Square broke that honor with Nintendo and due to there dishonorablity, Nintendo banned them from thier offices. Its a fair call regardless whos in the right or wrong.

If Square wanted to be still friends with Nintendo than they should have reconsidered there decision to move. Remember Square changed, not Nintendo.

What a yawn fest.

But indeed, Nintendo didn't change, which is why third parties left and right migrated to a place where business was better for them. 

loy310 said:
Wow, 90's nintendo is just as bad as 2010's xbox. Cut off their nose to spite their face for a whole decade.

More like mid-2000s Sony, who was arrogant and somewhat difficult to worth with. Many games jumped from Sony to 360 those first couple of years.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!