By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Lol at those 60-70s, just attention seekers

I dont know about that. This game has made decisions that will divide opinions drastically.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

I think the biggest problem is not that they changed the story. The problem is that changed the story while at the same time advertised this to be a remake of the original game. People expect to revive the original story with this one (with additions and some changes that expands and/or gives more context, but overall the same story they remember)... But at the very end of the game, they will find out that's not the case.

Let's bring up Terminator again. Genisys was promoted from the beginning to be a reboot of the original. The starting point would be an identical remake from T1 (with some added scenes from the future), but at certain point, the story would change. You may not like the direction, but at the very least, Paramount was honest about what they were doing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake on the other hand, is sold on nostalgia for a story many worship and adore. And they won't tell you that's not what you are getting until the end of the first chapter of a 60 dolar, 35 hours long game with an undetermined number of future chapters on an undetermined number of consoles. That's... lying. And that pisses people off.

I don't know guys... It was as easy as being honest from the beginning. "Hey guys, we are doing a reimagining of the FF VII story. Be ready for a surprising yet thrilling experience were nothing is what it seems". That... Or you know... Make an actual remake. Either way, don't trick people into buying something they might not actually want.

Terminator fan here.  I'd have to say Genisys was same as T1 till very beginning when Arnold showed up to fight first T100.

sethnintendo said:
Vodacixi said:

I think the biggest problem is not that they changed the story. The problem is that changed the story while at the same time advertised this to be a remake of the original game. People expect to revive the original story with this one (with additions and some changes that expands and/or gives more context, but overall the same story they remember)... But at the very end of the game, they will find out that's not the case.

Let's bring up Terminator again. Genisys was promoted from the beginning to be a reboot of the original. The starting point would be an identical remake from T1 (with some added scenes from the future), but at certain point, the story would change. You may not like the direction, but at the very least, Paramount was honest about what they were doing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake on the other hand, is sold on nostalgia for a story many worship and adore. And they won't tell you that's not what you are getting until the end of the first chapter of a 60 dolar, 35 hours long game with an undetermined number of future chapters on an undetermined number of consoles. That's... lying. And that pisses people off.

I don't know guys... It was as easy as being honest from the beginning. "Hey guys, we are doing a reimagining of the FF VII story. Be ready for a surprising yet thrilling experience were nothing is what it seems". That... Or you know... Make an actual remake. Either way, don't trick people into buying something they might not actually want.

Terminator fan here.  I'd have to say Genisys was same as T1 till very beginning when Arnold showed up to fight first T100.

So... Just what I said?

Vodacixi said:
sethnintendo said:

So... Just what I said?

So it was same till very beginning.  Got it.  So Aeris lives? 

Leynos said:
The Kingdom's hearts fucking garbage turned me off this game entirely. I thought about getting it down the road when all eps were out but knowing what I know now. I further hate Nomura and I was never a fan of his. He sure did find a way to fuck this story up.

Nomura should have refrained himself to being a character designer. Some accounts of his mishandling of Versus XIII/FFXV is truly scary. The man has some weird ideas, and a non sensical way of telling stories that is truly awful. SE should have hired Sakaguchi for this project, he would have kept that nut case in check.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Answer my question. Does the final trailer not show you how different the game is? I knew how different it was before reading the spoilers because of that Trailer. And if I can see that many others can too.

What that trailer shows is not even close to the point blank shot many people will get after playing the game. The trailer shows some new stuff and changes from the original, yes. But it doesn't imply that the story is gonna be rebooted and the original FF VII plot is gonna be discarded. 

What the trailer shows is what many remakes do. Samus Returns is a completely different game than Metroid II: Return of Samus. Even the ending has some major changes. And you can see some of it in the trailers. But those changes only add to the original story. Samus Returns, despite the new stuff, is still Metroid II. Not like FF VII Remake, in which said additions and changes actually make the original story irrelevant, because instead of adding up, it replaces it.

Nothing in the trailer confirms something like that happening. It teases some new stuff going on, but how that will actually play out is impossible to know. Until you play the game.

I understand some people think the changes are too extreme, but I think they should look past that. Even without changes I think my opinion won't change. I'm actually more interested in where SE is going with part 2 now because of it.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Vodacixi said:
sales2099 said:
Huh, thought for sure it get 90+.

Anybody care to explain the cons that are bringing down the average?

Apparently, the expansion of Midgard to make up for the 30+ hour game duration is not very well done. The side quests are boring, generic, uninspired... And you can only do them before starting the main story chapter (yes, the game is divided in chapters). Once you start the main story, you cannot acces to the side missions anymore.

Also, the ending has divided critics and players because Nomura has pulled some bullshit out of his ass to somehow transform the remake into a reboot of the original story.

There are also some inconsistencies about the graphics. Some places have quite low quality textures that deeply contrast with an otherwise great looking game.

Thank you. Ya messing with a games story will always bring controversy. I don’t like hearing the side quest business as well. Ya this meta score seems about right 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Lol at those 60-70s, just attention seekers

Probably yeah, and pretty much purist.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

A remake could change the graphic, the art style, the gameplay system and the control, but still keep the main plot. This game don't do that, it's a reboot. 

What you just described is a remaster. FF7HD is currently out right now on steam, ps4, and switch.

Looks at Lufia Curse of The Sinistral on DS, the graphic and the art style: changed completely, gameplay: action rpg (the original on snes is turn base), the main plot: same. That is how a remake should be.

FFVIIR is a reboot, an alternative story of the original FFVII.

SammyGiireal said:
Leynos said:
The Kingdom's hearts fucking garbage turned me off this game entirely. I thought about getting it down the road when all eps were out but knowing what I know now. I further hate Nomura and I was never a fan of his. He sure did find a way to fuck this story up.

Nomura should have refrained himself to being a character designer. Some accounts of his mishandling of Versus XIII/FFXV are truly scary. The man has some weird ideas, and a non sensical way of telling stories that is truly awful. SE should have hired Sakaguchi for this project, he would have kept that nut case in check.