By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 vs XSeX: Understanding the Gap

zero129 said:

And since we are posting rumors in here and peoples opinions as facts lets see what a former Sony Game Designer has to say about the power difference

"I’ve chatted to a few devs and they have confirmed the power difference is quite staggering," said Grannell. "However they have said it doesn’t mean you can’t make good games on the PS5. These fanboys clearly don’t care about that and are massively rattled."

He seems to think the power difference will be quite staggering.

I think someone just saying something is staggering and someone taking the time to explain why something is the way it is ae two very different things. I didn't even say what he was saying is "fact," I said here is a fun read about how these SSDs working ext gen hardware. And what's funny is that I don't even know what's there to dispute, that's literally what an SSD would do, especially if neither sony or MShas lied to us. cause that's what HDDs have always done.Just 100 times slower.

I also think you need to relax... you are taking this shit far too personally than you need to. It's almost like you are looking for a fight where there is none.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zero129 said:

Please do explain how you figure XSX will have a harder time hitting their clocks and how more CU's and shaders = worse performance id love to hear it...

Sorry, didn't see this. 

First off, I never said more CUs (which are shaders) = worse performance. I said XSX would have a harder time hating that 1825Mhz lock than the PS5 would have hitting its 2230Mhz clock. Saying something will have a harder time is not the same thing as saying t can't do it...unless that's what you want to see it as. But it's not the same thing though. I mean I think even in what you quoted I literally said "they will hit those clocks whenever they are needed to hit them".

The reason is simple and obvious really... the size of the chip. Its simply easier clocking a smaller chip higher than it is clocking a larger chip high. And its harder dissipating heat from larger chip than it is from smaller ones. Look at every single GPU out there, or CPU, it's not a coincidence that the ones with really high core counts run at slightly lower clock speeds.

And with regard to the other stuff I posted.. you and others may call it one guys opinion, but it doesn't mean he said is no true. If you take the information available, his depiction of things is literally the benefits that the SSD would bring. And how it can be utilized. I obviously agree with his explanation, which is why I posted it. You don't have to agree with it obviously.

Microsoft has stated it's performance profiles can be maintained without variability AFAIK.
It should be able to maintain that 1825Mhz clock without any drama.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

Sorry, didn't see this. 

First off, I never said more CUs (which are shaders) = worse performance. I said XSX would have a harder time hating that 1825Mhz lock than the PS5 would have hitting its 2230Mhz clock. Saying something will have a harder time is not the same thing as saying t can't do it...unless that's what you want to see it as. But it's not the same thing though. I mean I think even in what you quoted I literally said "they will hit those clocks whenever they are needed to hit them".

The reason is simple and obvious really... the size of the chip. Its simply easier clocking a smaller chip higher than it is clocking a larger chip high. And its harder dissipating heat from larger chip than it is from smaller ones. Look at every single GPU out there, or CPU, it's not a coincidence that the ones with really high core counts run at slightly lower clock speeds.

And with regard to the other stuff I posted.. you and others may call it one guys opinion, but it doesn't mean he said is no true. If you take the information available, his depiction of things is literally the benefits that the SSD would bring. And how it can be utilized. I obviously agree with his explanation, which is why I posted it. You don't have to agree with it obviously.

Microsoft has stated it's performance profiles can be maintained without variability AFAIK.
It should be able to maintain that 1825Mhz clock without any drama.

Of course, it would...again, i never said it wouldn't. They would have put that thing through all sorts of hell anyways and devices a cooling solution or it that can adequately accommodate those kinda clocks.

just standing that "typically" its generally thicker cooling higher core count and bigger chips than cooling smaller ones.

And if all my pots were read, I also said I don't even believe the PS5 would run both its CPU and GPU at those peak clocks at max load. I said I expect the PS5's CPU to be routinely cocked down to like 3.2Gz to lead some power overhead so the GPU can hit its peak cooks and remain there if need be.

zero129 said:

Its PS5 that down-clocks the GPU or CPU depending on load not the XBSX as thats its peak clock that its running at on full load the same cant be said about the PS5, so unless im reading what you wrote wrong why would the XBX have a harder time?. to me that sounds like downplaying

Kinda like how some Sony fans are claiming SSD's will make up for the power difference (Its a running joke atm).

I honestly dont agree with that users post you quoted from beyond3d it sounds once again like a sony fan downplaying and wishful thinking.

I mean come on?, PS5's SSD really is becoming their secret sauce if users honestly think its going to give the PS5 like what 22GB's of ram? and allow for higher quality textures etc(Kinda like how the cloud was going to do that for XBOne ).

But here lets look at this

Xbox Series X’s BCPack Texture Compression Technique Reportedly Better than the PS5’s Kraken

"Texture decompression isn’t something that Microsoft have talked about for the Xbox Series X too much yet, but according to industry professionals, their solution might be better even than Sony’s Kraken. Richard Geldreich, who formerly worked at Valve and Ensemble Studios, took to Twitter to say that Microoft’s texture decompression, BCPack, is their “dark horse” and might be a stronger option than Kraken.

He posed that question to James Stanard, who works on graphics optimization R&D and engine architecture on Microsoft. Though Stanard was reluctant to divulge many details about it, he went on to explain it briefly, it is specifically designed for texture decompression, before Geldreich added that being dedicated tech for this purpose will allow it to function more efficiently than Kraken, which is more of a general purpose system."

Sigh... Ok, Ill ignore whatever i feel is a waste o time getting into and just talk about the stuff that is actually relevant. Especially with this downplaying nonsense, you have started saying cause if you read this entire thread I also criticize the PS5. So the issue ere seems more like you don't want anything bad to be said about XSX.

Ok.. now onto the compression thing. Yes, I am aware of that. And yes, BCpack s better than Kraken. But its only for textures. Kracken is for everything else. And even that, we are talking about a theoretical throughput of 4.8GB/s with compressed data or 6GB/s if you wat to look at their supposed best case scenario. that's still under the PS5s 5.5GB raw throughput and well below its 9GB/s theoretical compressed data throughput and significantly lower than their 22GB/s throughput best case scenario.

Left shit like this out of the discussion because this shit isn't quantifiable. Like how the hell do we know that the PS5 can really move 22GB/s of compressed data?

And did you read my OP? Like i literally said the SSD difference would not make a difference. And explained why. So where is this SSD secret sauce nonsense coming from? in fact you are the first and only person to have aid anything to that effect in this thread.

zero129 said:
Intrinsic said:

I think someone just saying something is staggering and someone taking the time to explain why something is the way it is ae two very different things. I didn't even say what he was saying is "fact," I said here is a fun read about how these SSDs working ext gen hardware. And what's funny is that I don't even know what's there to dispute, that's literally what an SSD would do, especially if neither sony or MShas lied to us. cause that's what HDDs have always done.Just 100 times slower.

I also think you need to relax... you are taking this shit far too personally than you need to. It's almost like you are looking for a fight where there is none.

I am relaxed and dont even own any of the consoles so i have no horse in them console wars. However i do find the amount of stuff people will try to come up with as pretty funny.

Start of this gen, or should we call it last gen now? MS fans had the cloud etc to make up for the power difference this gen Sony fans have the SSD and how MS can only use half its ram but Sony can use all of theirs etc. I have to say it really is quite entertaining .

he sad thing is that you are the one whose contributions to this thread is turning it into something else. Ad the funny things that everything you seem to be having or taking issue with?

NO ONE HERE HAS SAID THAT!!!!!

No offense,but for the sake of the thread I will just ignore what you're saying if you have or bring up something meaningful to discuss though... I am all eyes.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
starcraft said:

That is probably the fairest way I have seen you put this.

Yes, its obvious there is a power discrepancy. We'll have to wait for some games to see whether the Xbox has a moderate or large advantage in what it can achieve graphics or gameplay-wise.

I think its obvious how and where the advantages would show themselves. All we have to do is look at the PS4/XB1 and the pS4pro/XB1X. Then take into account just how different those consoles were from each other respectively.

The "gap" or "power difference" people are alluding to, while there, is nowhere even close to as significant as any of the aforementioned comparisons.

A simple way to ut it, not only does the upcoming gen represent the smallest gap ever between two PS vs Xbox consoles at launch, the bar has collectively been set so high that it gets really hard to spot the difference. For reference, watch the RE3/Doometernal digital foundry videos. Look at the XB1X vs the PS4pro. Then remember that the XB1X has a 50% compute advantage, 50% RAM bandwidth advantage and 50% More RAM.

Perhaps you've quite a liberal interpretation of the words 'nowhere close'.

There is a gap of 20% at peak performance. We know from Sony peak performance is theoretical, because the CPU or GPU will be throttled. What they have not told us (somewhat concerning, given they had a whole hour conference), is their minimum performance. I.e. What is the minimum simultaneous performance of the CPU and GPU the PS5 can sustain. 

In terms of the components for which we have the most evidence, the minimum gap is 20%. The maximum gap is unknown, until Sony tells us or a tech company gets a hold of the final product and tells us for them.

Again, until we see games, all we know is that the Xbox is more capable, and that this capability gap may well be moderate, or could be more significant.

Edit: Obviously not going to engage with your PS4P Vs XOX argument given you deliberately left off the fact they each have near identical CPU bottlenecks - that way be dragons.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

zero129 said:

Im sorry if my replys make you feel edgy. Giving another opinion (Along with quotes from actual devs not just random beyond3d users) isnt turning the thread into something else unless you just want the whole thread to be all pro sony. It seems to me that your bias here is making you take offense where the is none.

And the things i've said no one has said?.

1. in your quote from Beyond3D was how XBSX will only have 5gb free ram "For XSeX ~5GB of "free" RAM"

2. and how out of that 5gb free ram XBSX will only be able to use 2.5gb for streaming in textures "we can divide it into 2 parts: resident and streaming."

3. You quoted that post about how the SSD in the PS5 will allow it to use 2-3X the quality textures/Scenes and assets of the XBSX "PS5 can have 2x to 3x more details/textures/assets than XSeX."

4. The Secret sauce part was simply put since thats what XBOne fans tried saying the cloud etc would allow XBOne too have and now your quoting a person who clearly seems to think the SSD is some kind of Secret sauce that will allow it to have higher quality textures assets and scenes then the XBSX.

5. We have you talking about how we cant downclock the PS5 GPU and leave the XBSX GPU as is "First we can't downclock the PS5 GPU and leave the XSX GPU as is" Yet Cerny himself stated the GPU clock rate is based on how much load the CPU and GPU is using. Thats not the case for the XBSX

6. We also have you talking about how the XBSX will have a harder time hitting their clocks and how less CU's work out better for PS5 then more CU's O_O "Especially the PS5. It may seem hard to believe, but its actually easier for thePS5 to hit its 2.2Ghz clock than it would be for the XSX to ht its 1.8Ghz clock."

Lets not try making it look like im derailing the topic by calling out what your quoting/saying for the simple reason that im just not blindly going along with what your saying and have an opinion on the subject thats different then yours.

1. Not my words,I quoted a post... said its interesting. I can be discussed or dismissed. 

2. Again... not me.. you are attacking the messenger.

3. I see that Beyond3D post riled you up a bit being that all your points so far have been of something that I posted. I didn't make that post. I just like the details he gave. His numbers maybe wrong for all we know, cause he clearly just guessing... but the process he's alluding to is how I believe it would work too. Now that's my opinion. 

4. This has nothing to do with me. I have not got into any debates with anyone on this site since these consoles were revealed arguing about performance secret sauce or cakes. Maybe that's so far been your experience and hence why you seem to be on the offensive even though technically... I seem to be only guilt of posting something somewhere else.

5. Finally!!! Something I actually said... now if you go back to that post I made, you would see that I was replying to someone that was suggesting that the PS5 would have a certain amount of bandwidth/TF. And he downclocks the PS5 which would give it a lower TF value than what sony has to give us (and that we know) to something that is pretty much made up. In doing so, the PS5 would end up having a higher bandwidth/TF number.

This post you seem to be using as some kinda fanboy shit I said, was actually to correct him and point out just how bad the memory bandwidth of the PS5 really is. Especially when compared to the XSX. I have actually said it repeatedly n this thread that I am very concerned about the memory bandwidth of the PS5.

6. Jesus... twisting words much? Yes. I said it would actually be harder for the XSX to hit its clocks. I was speaking design-wise. Its generally harder to get bigger chips (XSX) than it is to get smaller chips (PS5) to hit their clocks. And YES, its easier saturating the CUs of a smaller chip than it is o a larger chip with more CUs. these are all known facts. And I ai al that in a replay to someone. 

And I pointed out that its a benefit of the design choice sony made. Which is also true. None of this in any way says that the XSx would not hit their targets. Just that its a harder thing design-wise) to accomplish. Which in a manner of speaking is usually a compliment to MS.

You have taken everything and twisted it into something else. Please, read all I have said. What you are suggesting or insinuating is not what has been happening here. And I am sorry if the stuff I linked from someone else talking about the SSD and how it could be used by devs upset you. Next time, just give your opinion on it and not attack me pls. thanks.

Unless Santa Monica, Naughty dog, and Insomniac start making games on Xbox, it really doesn't matter to me personally. Some of my favorite games are on Switch and I'm pretty sure the PS5 is going to trounce that graphically. If Xbox has the best version of the handful of third party games I purchase a generation so be it.

starcraft said:
Intrinsic said:

I think its obvious how and where the advantages would show themselves. All we have to do is look at the PS4/XB1 and the pS4pro/XB1X. Then take into account just how different those consoles were from each other respectively.

The "gap" or "power difference" people are alluding to, while there, is nowhere even close to as significant as any of the aforementioned comparisons.

A simple way to ut it, not only does the upcoming gen represent the smallest gap ever between two PS vs Xbox consoles at launch, the bar has collectively been set so high that it gets really hard to spot the difference. For reference, watch the RE3/Doometernal digital foundry videos. Look at the XB1X vs the PS4pro. Then remember that the XB1X has a 50% compute advantage, 50% RAM bandwidth advantage and 50% More RAM.

There is a gap of 20% at peak performance. We know from Sony peak performance is theoretical, because the CPU or GPU will be throttled. What they have not told us (somewhat concerning, given they had a whole hour conference), is their minimum performance. I.e. What is the minimum simultaneous performance of the CPU and GPU the PS5 can sustain. 

In terms of the components for which we have the most evidence, the minimum gap is 20%. The maximum gap is unknown, until Sony tells us or a tech company gets a hold of the final product and tells us for them.

Again, until we see games, all we know is that the Xbox is more capable, and that this capability gap may well be moderate, or could be more significant.

Edit: Obviously not going to engage with your PS4P Vs XOX argument given you deliberately left off the fact they each have near identical CPU bottlenecks - that way be dragons.

Please I hope you aren't like Zero...

Where are you getting 20% minimum gap from?

And I am beginning to think some people here don't really get how the PS5 APU and constant power&variable frequency thing works.

I would have tried to explain it...but some posters here are out for blood. 

I'll say this though, I have never said there isn't a gap. I am just saying that the gap is nowhere near as significant as some people seem to think. You don't have to take my word fr it. In time gues we would see. I even went onto explain how that gap would present itself in games...

starcraft said:
Intrinsic said:

The Xbox One X's CPU bottleneck is not the same as the Playstation 4 Pro's.

Not only does it have a 170Mhz (7.9%) advantage, but the Xbox One X had a significant amount of engineering to offload CPU tasks onto the Xbox One X Command Processor, things like draw calls which eats a ton of CPU time for example... Plus other minor improvements like the page descriptor cache.

Intrinsic said:

1. Jesus... twisting words much? Yes. I said it would actually be harder for the XSX to hit its clocks. I was speaking design-wise. Its generally harder to get bigger chips (XSX) than it is to get smaller chips (PS5) to hit their clocks. And YES, its easier saturating the CUs of a smaller chip than it is o a larger chip with more CUs. these are all known facts. And I ai al that in a replay to someone. 

Depends on the efficiency curve. 1980Mhz is the top-end that RDNA 1.0 can achieve without much drama. RDNA 2.0 likely features additional improvements to push up clockrates.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--