By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

I haven't confused anything, weak year is subjective! That's the point, neither I nor Nintendo gives a damn about what you view as weak. 2020 stacks up well against any of those years. The proof is in the pudding, people are buying games in droves because the line up isn't weak to them. AC, 3D Mario classic collection, and Zelda spinoff doesn't stack well against what year? I'm only naming what I believe the biggest sellers will be and besides 2017, I don't see another year really being significantly better than 2020. 2020 already has the Switch's second highest seller after only 4 months. 3D collection will probably beat any other years second best seller. Here ill do a list.

2017: Mario Kart, BoTW, Odessey, Splaton

2018: Smash, Poke Lets Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis or DK

2019: Poke Sw&Sh, Luigi, Mario Maker, 2D Zelda

2020: AC, 3D Collection, Hyrule Warriors, Paper Mario

Those are i believe the top sellers for each year and honestly 2020 can probably give any of those others besides 2017 a run for their money. The other years need to make up for the thrashing AC will give Smash and Poke Sw/Sh. Then 3D collection will probably beat Luigi or Mario Maker and Pokemon Lets Go. So yes from Nintys perspective despite Covid they look pretty damn good. 

Let's tally the sales totals for all these games in a year. Someone necrobump this on 9/9/2021!

Why would anyone necrobump this thread a year from now?  It will still be on the front page.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

I haven't confused anything, weak year is subjective! That's the point, neither I nor Nintendo gives a damn about what you view as weak. 2020 stacks up well against any of those years. The proof is in the pudding, people are buying games in droves because the line up isn't weak to them. AC, 3D Mario classic collection, and Zelda spinoff doesn't stack well against what year? I'm only naming what I believe the biggest sellers will be and besides 2017, I don't see another year really being significantly better than 2020. 2020 already has the Switch's second highest seller after only 4 months. 3D collection will probably beat any other years second best seller. Here ill do a list.

2017: Mario Kart, BoTW, Odessey, Splaton

2018: Smash, Poke Lets Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis or DK

2019: Poke Sw&Sh, Luigi, Mario Maker, 2D Zelda

2020: AC, 3D Collection, Hyrule Warriors, Paper Mario

Those are i believe the top sellers for each year and honestly 2020 can probably give any of those others besides 2017 a run for their money. The other years need to make up for the thrashing AC will give Smash and Poke Sw/Sh. Then 3D collection will probably beat Luigi or Mario Maker and Pokemon Lets Go. So yes from Nintys perspective despite Covid they look pretty damn good. 

Let's tally the sales totals for all these games in a year. Someone necrobump this on 9/9/2021! In fact, let's add a few more games to each year, just to make it a more accurate comparison.

2017: Mario Kart, BotW, Odyssey, Mario X Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Pokken

2018: Smash, Let's Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Treasure Tracker, Octopath, Labo, Hyrule Warriors, Torna

2019: Sword/Sheild, Luigi 3, Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragonquest S, Fire Emblem

2020: AC, All Stars, Age of Calamity, Paper Mario, Bravely Default II (if it even releases this year), Pikmin 3

And just to make it even more fun, let's hold a poll on the site on 9/9/2021. We can ask the userbase here which was the weakest year for Nintendo Switch, from a games lineup perspective. :D

Very weird criteria you are using, you pad the 2018 lineup with Wii U ports like Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, an expansion pass in Torna and a toy with Labo while ignoring 2020 ports/remasters like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Xenoblade DE and a toy with MK Live.

Looks like someone has an agenda.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Let's tally the sales totals for all these games in a year. Someone necrobump this on 9/9/2021! In fact, let's add a few more games to each year, just to make it a more accurate comparison.

2017: Mario Kart, BotW, Odyssey, Mario X Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Pokken

2018: Smash, Let's Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Treasure Tracker, Octopath, Labo, Hyrule Warriors, Torna

2019: Sword/Sheild, Luigi 3, Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragonquest S, Fire Emblem

2020: AC, All Stars, Age of Calamity, Paper Mario, Bravely Default II (if it even releases this year), Pikmin 3

And just to make it even more fun, let's hold a poll on the site on 9/9/2021. We can ask the userbase here which was the weakest year for Nintendo Switch, from a games lineup perspective. :D

Very weird criteria you are using, you pad the 2018 lineup with Wii U ports like Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, an expansion pass in Torna and a toy with Labo while ignoring 2020 ports/remasters like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Xenoblade DE and a toy with MK Live.

Nah, just too many games to remember. Add those to the list if you like. Edit: I just edited the list and threw those games into the 2020 portion. Also added 1-2 Switch. Am I missing anything else from any of these four years?

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 September 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:

2017: Mario Kart, BotW, Odyssey, Mario X Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Pokken, 1-2 Switch

2018: Smash, Let's Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Treasure Tracker, Octopath, Labo, Hyrule Warriors, Torna, Star Allies

2019: Sword/Sheild, Luigi 3, Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragonquest S, Fire Emblem, NSMBU Deluxe

2020: AC, All Stars, Age of Calamity, Paper Mario, Bravely Default II, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade HD, Clubhouse Games, Mystery Dungeon, Ring Fit, Mario RC Cars

Edit: Adding some games that I missed.

You forgot about Tokyo Mirage Sessions being ported in Janurary 2020 and Ring Fit came out in 2019. Looking at those lists 2020 is a step down but not by a lot I'd say. It has a similar amount of games compared to the previous years though a bit less original stuff. I think the lack of transparency made it feel a lot worse than it ended up being since normally by June we'd know the second half of the years lineup but this time it took till September. How much someone ends up enjoying Animal Crossing will probably have the most impact on their feelings towards this year.

Cerebralbore101 said:
zorg1000 said:

Nah, just too many games to remember. Add those to the list if you like. Edit: I just edited the list and threw those games into the 2020 portion. Also added 1-2 Switch. Am I missing anything else from any of these four years?

2020 had too many games for you to remember yet you are arguing that its a weak year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Think I just lost a few IQ points reading some of the later posts ( 24 Hours) in this thread....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Norion said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

2017: Mario Kart, BotW, Odyssey, Mario X Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Pokken, 1-2 Switch

2018: Smash, Let's Go, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, Treasure Tracker, Octopath, Labo, Hyrule Warriors, Torna, Star Allies

2019: Sword/Sheild, Luigi 3, Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Yoshi's Crafted World, Dragonquest S, Fire Emblem, NSMBU Deluxe

2020: AC, All Stars, Age of Calamity, Paper Mario, Bravely Default II, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade HD, Clubhouse Games, Mystery Dungeon, Ring Fit, Mario RC Cars

Edit: Adding some games that I missed.

You forgot about Tokyo Mirage Sessions being ported in Janurary 2020 and Ring Fit came out in 2019. Looking at those lists 2020 is a step down but not by a lot I'd say. It has a similar amount of games compared to the previous years though a bit less original stuff. I think the lack of transparency made it feel a lot worse than it ended up being since normally by June we'd know the second half of the years lineup but this time it took till September. How much someone ends up enjoying Animal Crossing will probably have the most impact on their feelings towards this year.

Thanks! I updated the list. Ring Fit is now 2019, and Mirage Sessions is 2020.

This thread will live on until Nintendo's next console

zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

2020 had too many games for you to remember yet you are arguing that its a weak year?

It's hard to remember so many low quality forgettable games, and ports. And 2020 wasn't the only year where I forgot about stuff.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sure let's add Xenoblade HD, and Clubhouse games. Also the Tokyo Mirage Sessions port. Sorry, there's just too many games to remember sometimes. We can do this in a year or at the end of Switch's life cycle. Your choice. I'm willing to play the long game here. :D

Edit: Just wanted to add, that while older games have the advantage of being on the market longer, newer games have the advantage of a bigger Switch install base from the get go.

Bigger Switch install base from the get go has little affect on lifetime sales. For example AC had the bigger launch week due to the larger install base from the get go but it will still need time on the market to reach its maximum potential. Zelda on the other hand is still available to that same base AC has but had a 3 year head start. So yeah I would prefer end of Switch's life cycle but Im not sure what exactly are you asking me? Are you saying I said 2020 beats the other years? I said the other years don't look much better despite Covid. I'm not sure we will get the numbers we need for this comparison, which is why I tried to focus on tentpole releases. Just looking at the highest sellers per year, 2020 does not look that much worse. 2017 looks head shoulders higher than everyone else 

2017:

Zelda(20-25 million lifetime)

Mario Kart(30- 40 million lifetime)

Splatoon(10- 15 million lifetime)

Mario Ody(20-25 million lifetime)

Total: 105 million

2018:

Mario Party(10-12 million)

Poke lets go(10-15 million)

Smash(20-30 million)

Total: 57 million

2019:

NSMB(10-12 million)

Mario Maker(8- 10 million)

Zelda LA(8- 10 million)

Luigi (10-12 million)

Poke Sw & Sh(20- 25 million)

Total: 69

2020:

Animal Crossing(35- 40 million)

3D Mario All(10- 15 million)

Hyrule Warriors(5- 10 million?)

Total: 65

PS: This is actually kind of fun. Maybe this should be its own thread lol. Team 2018 vs. Team 2019 vs. Team 2020! Lifetime sales competition.