By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41

I imagine there is going to be a lot of loading comparisons with every 3rd party game with these SSD's.
I am also curious what the tech experts on this site think of it all. CGI and Perm seem to have a lot of understanding when it comes to the flop agruements etc.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Didn't expect such a high clock for GPU,

Well, DevUnit 40 (full use) CUs at 2GHz. PS5 36 CUs (yield!) at 40/36 * 2GHz = 2.22GHz.

You might get the idea they jacked up the clock in a last ditch effort to get to 10.3TFlops after seeing XSX at 12TFlops. On the other hand, the idea of coontinuously running the console in the thermal limit probably takes years of planning.

Good news is SSD expansion is not proprietary. The bad news is a SSD that matches PS5 standards still don't exist, maybe they appear by the next year.

Hiku said:
JRPGfan said:

In that case, Xbox won the design choices imo.
If their priced the same, and the xbox series x is like 15% faster, that means they spent their budget better.

I still think Playstation 5 will be cheaper.

Why?

36 CU vs 52 CU = ~45% differnce.

256bit bus vs 320bit bus = ~25% differnce.

Thats alot of "space saved" on the chip side of things (for the playstation 5).
A smaller chip means cheaper to produce (the chip part atleast).

PS5 also has a smaller sized SSD. 820 GB vs 1000 GB.

They don't sound like they will be in the same price category to me.

The number of CUs between Ps5 and Series X don't matter because they have different number of transistors per CU. In total PS5 GPU can do 10 teraflops whereas Seriex X can do 12. A roughly theorical 20% difference in power.

Bandorr said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Lack of full backwards compatibility with past consoles is bullshit. There's no excuse for Sony not to be able to when Microsoft is able to not only offer Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One day and date WITH IMPROVEMENTS none the less on Series X. And don't give me any of that "But the PS3's cell processor!", Sony has nobody but themselves to blame for choosing to use that back then, tough shit if it's more work it's still up to them. 

Sony's whole attitude of thinking that BC isn't important and nobody cares just annoys me, especially after Jim Ryan's comments on it a few years ago.

Full BC would have made me purchase a PS5 on that alone.

Never quite understood this level of thought.

The wii U had full BC. Even with wii games.

The XB1 has no BC with Kinect games. Or any games it didn't get permission from the publisher. And I doubt the X series has BC with X1 kinect games either.

The PS4 didn't have any BC - and absolutely dominated. The switch has no BC - and is absolutely dominating.

This just feels like fake rage, or rather undeserved rage built from people thinking "yeah we are getting XYZABCDEF" etc.

Plus it is 2020 and you care more about.. playing old games - like PS3 and old - than new ones?

Just DEjavu all over again with the ps4.

I don't even understand what your point is with this. Yes, just because something can be successful without something doesn't mean they shouldn't still strive to offer it if possible? I'm not saying it will be a dominating factor by any means as to whether something is successful. 

If you wanna argue against whether the amount of work it would take to get full BC is worth it for the amount of people who would use it versus focusing on what you know most will use, then that's a different conversation altogether. 

Plus, I always knew that PS1-PS2-PS3 BC was a pipe dream, i'm not annoyed that I didn't get what I wanted, moreso it's towards Sony's stance on it that it's not even worth looking into and that nobody cares about it. 

And to your last question you're basically asking me "Why would you want to play 4 generations of amazing games all on one single system?".

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

I had expected the final clock would try to be even more than 2000 MHz, after the 1825 MHz of the XSX, but I expected something like 2050 MHz locked, not a variable rate.

I wonder about the thermal leeway of the APU and how exactly it's going to juggle the two frequencies. 2.23 GHz on practice is probably as much of a theoretical pipe dream as tablet APUs running at their full speeds.

The PS5 chips and cooling is literally designed to run at max frequency 100% of the time, it's only going to run lower when it needs to. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Looks like Eurogamer updated their article. PS5 has HyperThreading:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CuCabeludo said:

The number of CUs between Ps5 and Series X don't matter because they have different number of transistors per CU. In total PS5 GPU can do 10 teraflops whereas Seriex X can do 12. A roughly theorical 20% difference in power.

wtf was that?

AMD designed the cus, not Sony or MS. I can assure you they didn't design the same work twice just for the giggles. And TFlops come from multiplying the cus with the clock rate....

FloatingWaffles said:

I don't even understand what your point is with this. Yes, just because something can be successful without something doesn't mean they shouldn't still strive to offer it if possible? I'm not saying it will be a dominating factor by any means as to whether something is successful. 

If you wanna argue against whether the amount of work it would take to get full BC is worth it for the amount of people who would use it versus focusing on what you know most will use, then that's a different conversation altogether. 

Plus, I always knew that PS1-PS2-PS3 BC was a pipe dream, i'm not annoyed that I didn't get what I wanted, moreso it's towards Sony's stance on it that it's not even worth looking into and that nobody cares about it. 

And to your last question you're basically asking me "Why would you want to play 4 generations of amazing games all on one single system?".

Why should I buy a new system to play archaic games, though?

Personally, I have no interest in things that were released before 2010. Most good games got remastered on PS4 anyway (still not interested).

Bandorr said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Lack of full backwards compatibility with past consoles is bullshit. There's no excuse for Sony not to be able to when Microsoft is able to not only offer Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One day and date WITH IMPROVEMENTS none the less on Series X. And don't give me any of that "But the PS3's cell processor!", Sony has nobody but themselves to blame for choosing to use that back then, tough shit if it's more work it's still up to them. 

Sony's whole attitude of thinking that BC isn't important and nobody cares just annoys me, especially after Jim Ryan's comments on it a few years ago.

Full BC would have made me purchase a PS5 on that alone.

Never quite understood this level of thought.

The wii U had full BC. Even with wii games.

The XB1 has no BC with Kinect games. Or any games it didn't get permission from the publisher. And I doubt the X series has BC with X1 kinect games either.

The PS4 didn't have any BC - and absolutely dominated. The switch has no BC - and is absolutely dominating.

This just feels like fake rage, or rather undeserved rage built from people thinking "yeah we are getting XYZABCDEF" etc.

Plus it is 2020 and you care more about.. playing old games - like PS3 and old - than new ones?

Just DEjavu all over again with the ps4.

I’m currently playing Lost Odyssey, or “Flop Odessey” as it was called back in 2008 ;) Alongside Metro Exodus and the recent COD. It’s cool to have a back catalog that spans the gens at my fingertips. 

Its a nice feature. And certainly people have games they missed at the time. It’s not an essential feature to succeed but it’s quality of life that makes a difference to people that objectively compare the consoles instead of the droves of sheep that buy what their friends have (this applies to any console). 

Unless you making the case that history should never be reopened and or only stay within our memories? That good games of previous gens dont deserve a new audience who got into gaming a gen later? Who are you to tell someone that their love of BC is wrong and meaningless?

Last edited by sales2099 - on 18 March 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.