By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What happened to Homeworld Cataclysm?

Tagged games:

Okay so I know the game has had its source code lost and that it was re-released on GOG by Gearbox.

The issue was Gearbox couldn't use the Cataclysm name due to copywrites from Activision/Blizzard claiming it for WoW Cataclysm. 

Gearbox went and changed the name to a more fitting name in my opinion and replaced Cataclysm with Emergence. 

The full game is available on GOG for less than $10.. but where is the Steam version? Why is GOG the only service in the world that has Homeworld Emergence?

I was told it was a timed exclusive however its been 2 years and still no word of the game coming to other services.

Has anyone got any updates and more info on this title?

FYI: Homeworld Mobile is due out soon and looks quite good and if you are a backer to Homeworld 3 than you will get early access. Trailer below.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 March 2020

Around the Network

Why not just buy the GOG version then? Which advantages could a Steam version have?

Conina said:
Why not just buy the GOG version then? Which advantages could a Steam version have?

Convenience. All my Homeworld games are on Steam, my achievements, my friends etc. I personally dont use GOG. I dislike having series of games all chopped up into different services like my Dead Space games, 1 and 2 are on Steam while the 3rd game i have to log into Origins to play it.

I own the OG Catacylsm game so i can also just find patches to make it work on Win10 but the bigger question here is why is it not on Steam like the rest of the Homeworld games?

You could add it to Steam as a non-Steam game and 20 year old games usually don't get achievements anyways (unless they are remastered which doesn't seem to be possible for cataclysm).

And since GOG games are DRM-free you don't have to run a second launcher in the background.

Conina said:
You could add it to Steam as a non-Steam game and 20 year old games usually don't get achievements anyways (unless they are remastered which doesn't seem to be possible for cataclysm).

And since GOG games are DRM-free you don't have to run a second launcher in the background.

I could add it but the idea that it isnt a official Steam game bothers me. Like i said i dont use GOG and rather not use it. I just don't understand why Gearbox has both the Remasters and Deserts of Kharack on both services and only Emergence on GOG.