By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Review Thread (90 Metacritic | 90 Opencritic)

Finally fired this puppy up this morning and I don't have the adjectives to describe how beautiful this game looks. Plays like a dream, too. Got be feeling emotions already.

Around the Network

I still need to continue with the first one, just can't get into it. It's beautiful to look at, but while playing I quickly get bored. It's a shame, the art style is very pretty.

SvennoJ said:
I still need to continue with the first one, just can't get into it. It's beautiful to look at, but while playing I quickly get bored. It's a shame, the art style is very pretty.

I couldn't get into that one until I got the upgraded version. Even then I had it for maybe a year on my HDD before finally committing to it. It had some weird mechanics at first but after a short while, it clicked. Had to get used to creating my own respawn points. Wound up being one of my all time absolute favorite game experiences.

I'm a little intimidated by the sequel because I know how complex it will get and how frustrating (yet satisfying) some moments in the first game were but stick with it. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're any type of Metroidvania or Hollow Knight fan.

d21lewis said:
SvennoJ said:

I couldn't get into that one until I got the upgraded version. Even then I had it for maybe a year on my HDD before finally committing to it. It had some weird mechanics at first but after a short while, it clicked. Had to get used to creating my own respawn points. Wound up being one of my all time absolute favorite game experiences.

I'm a little intimidated by the sequel because I know how complex it will get and how frustrating (yet satisfying) some moments in the first game were but stick with it. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're any type of Metroidvania or Hollow Knight fan.

I have the definitive edition installed on my SSD for well over a year (actually longer, was on my old laptop first). Time played 4 hours. The problem is, I'm not that much of a Metroidvania fan and Hollow knight never interested me. These kind of games either click early for me or not at all. Perhaps I get bored enough in the coming weeks to start it from scratch again. The problem with trying to pick it up again later is having no clue how it worked anymore, yet starting over feels like retreating old ground.

Finished the game at 100% this weekend. Fantastic game, jaw (and frame) dropping visuals, they evolved the combat in such a satisfying way. Like @Lafiel said such chase sequences can get frustrating but overall this is a terrific metroidvania. A good sequel too, maybe too good because I don't think I'd want to replay the first one now.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Glad it scored well and it’s finding it’s audience

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Kinda funny seeing people be frustrated by the chase sequences. My friend and I were lamenting how easy most of them were, and that they should all have been at least on par with the worm one.

Angelus said:
Kinda funny seeing people be frustrated by the chase sequences. My friend and I were lamenting how easy most of them were, and that they should all have been at least on par with the worm one.

fuck the worm

Have to agree with Angelus, those chase sequences were too easy if anything. Worm offered a bit of challenge. All of them were cool though :)

Finished it today. Took me like 14 hours on Normal. I’d have played Hard if I knew there was an achievement, but it looks like the achievements are glitched anyway. And I’ll never get that one for not falling into corrupted water.

Fucking amazing game. The last section with the plague hearts and the last boss fight, exceptional platforming. Best since ReCore.