By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF 7 Remake gameplay is excellent, and could be the evolution for KH

Personally, I loved the gameplay of the demop.While I still would have preferred if it was completely turn based, the combat was magnificient.

And while playing it, I felt alot of the KH DNA was put into it.I mean, (God) Nomura is directing it, so it makes sense.Having said that, I believe there are two features from FF 7 Remake that could be used to enhance KH combat.

The first is the time freeze when selecting a spell and/or ability.I know that KH is more fast paced and more mob centric(as in the difficulty relies more on numbers, rather than harder enemies) but man, I feel that it could really fit with the gameplay.A tweak here and there, and could make some wonders for its combat.

The second is being able to issue commands to allies.Damn, that would be pretty handy.It would need to be adjusted to KH, since it has no ATB so there would need to be a sort of limit to how many spells you can issue, because you would break the flow of the combat otherwise, but I also think it would fit.

But yeah, I loved the FF 7 Remake demo!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Yeah combat was definitely amazing. Looking forward to April.

Hiku said:

Issuing commands to allies would be useful, but that in itself isn't particularly unique to FF7R. So I guess if KH wanted to do it, they would have already?

What makes FF7R's version of it stand out is that your allies will never perform any commands themselves (aside from regular attacks), which means they'll never be unavailable to heal you because they're in the middle of casting fire or doing a Limit Break, etc.

So if you could give allies commands in KH, and assuming Square Enix still want your allies to use commands and abilities by themselves, we may often find that they're unable to cast the spell/ability/item we want when we want, because they're already in the middle of doing something else.

That should still be an improvement though. Time Freeze during menu selection might be as well.

Casting spells hardly takes time in KH, and it would only be a matter of setting your allies to not use mana on their own to not run out of it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

I see a lot of people saying that they felt KH vibes with this one... but I guess I just missed that. It didn't feel like KH to me at all. I mean... your movement is super slow compared to KH, you can't jump (losing all that comes with it), your block and dodge is super limited and slow, your basic combos are mostly useless...

The only similarities I see... is that is an action RPG being made by Tetsuya Nomura. Nothing else.

Not that this is something bad. I just don't feel any KH vibes xD

Vodacixi said:
I see a lot of people saying that they felt KH vibes with this one... but I guess I just missed that. It didn't feel like KH to me at all. I mean... your movement is super slow compared to KH, you can't jump (losing all that comes with it), your block and dodge is super limited and slow, your basic combos are mostly useless...

The only similarities I see... is that is an action RPG being made by Tetsuya Nomura. Nothing else.

I had the opposite experience.I mean, the games have different speeds, but felt similar in a lot of ways.But in both games you have one button for regular attack, you had a menu from where you could choose your spells(which had a similar aesthetic) and where you will likely be able to choose your summons too.

The difference betwenn the two games are mostly the speeds between them.

But hey, that was my experience.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Vodacixi said:

I had the opposite experience.I mean, the games have different speeds, but felt similar in a lot of ways.But in both games you have one button for regular attack, you had a menu from where you could choose your spells(which had a similar aesthetic) and where you will likely be able to choose your summons too.

The difference betwenn the two games are mostly the speeds between them.

But hey, that was my experience.

See? Here I'm totally cool with you. And I'll say more: I didn't thought about having a menu to select certain actions like magic, items and summons. And you are right: it's kinda similar. I guess it didn't struck me as hard as you though.

I don't know... I think KH is really based on movement and fast paced action. And that's why I think speed and things like being able to jump (which in turn gives you thinks like air combos) makes a big enough difference for me to not feel this game like KH in any meaningful way.

Of course, this is my experience as well.

I replayed the demo 5 times now and each time I got better and more efficient with the battle system.
I can understand it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but personally, I really enjoy what they’re going for. It is basically what I think XV should have (not should of) been. The character switching feels good and snappy with your characters always ready for you to issue a command (provided they have a full ATB bar). No chance of switching to them and having to wait until they finish whatever they were currently doing.

The more I play, the more I love it, and the more I’m confident the project will be one heck of a ride.
Square-Enix is taking this Remake as if it was the next numbered title in the franchise and it shows.

The game looks amazing and runs pretty much flawlessly, sounds even better (the music is seriously phenomenal), and gameplay is surprisingly fun and addictive.

Can’t wait for April 10!

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 March 2020

Hynad said:

I replayed the demo 5 times now and each time I got better and more efficient with the battle system.
I can understand it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but personally, I really enjoy what they’re going for. It is basically what I think XV should have (not should of) been. The character switching feels good and snappy with your characters always ready for you to issue a command (provided they have a full ATB bar). No chance of switching to them and having to wait until they finish whatever they were currently doing.

The more I play, they more I love it, and the more I’m confident the project will be one heck of a ride.
Square-Enix is taking this Remake as if it was the next numbered title in the franchise and it shows.

The game looks amazing and runs pretty much flawlessly, sounds even better (the music is seriously phenomenal), and gameplay is surprisingly fun and addictive.

Can’t wait for April 10!

Yeah, completely agree.I kinda of wish this was FF XVI to be honest, because the game would be 100% new, as opposed to knowing some stuff that will happen.

But yeah, Im pumped about the game as well.

I love every part of the demo. Awesome characters and music and best looking game this gen. I absolutely love the combat, its got the feeling of turn based but mix with some action. Im so excited I just want to play the full game right now.

But... I sort of want my Kingdom Hearts to be Kingdom Hearts... and like this or not, it's not Kingdom Hearts.