By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Half Life Alyx New Gameplay Videos

Valve released new gameplay videos of their upcoming AAA VR game for several VR PC devices. 

First video features the teleportation mechanic: 

Second video features free locomotion / smooth movement:

Third video features teleporation with dash mechanic. Meaning, instead of the screen going black between teleportation, you will be moved very fast to the destination... well.. see it for yourself: 

There is also one 9 minute gamplay video shown by IGN, where the first 6 minutes are teleportation and the rest locomotion. 

What's your opinion on this? Does this change your mind about VR? Did Valve set the bar for VR games? 

All in all, enjoy :)

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I think the game looks great and the headcrabs look amazing (and it's cool how you can touch them and get them out of the way). I also like the shooting, looks like it will be challenging.

But I hate the teleport system.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
I think the game looks great and the headcrabs look amazing (and it's cool how you can touch them and get them out of the way). I also like the shooting, looks like it will be challenging.

Yeah, I am not a friend of teleportation either, thus you can change the movement to free locomotion :) That's how I prefer my games. But for people new to VR, they should start with teleportation first, and slowly change to free locomotion to get used to it. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
JEMC said:

Yeah, I am not a friend of teleportation either, thus you can change the movement to free locomotion :) That's how I prefer my games. But for people new to VR, they should start with teleportation first, and slowly change to free locomotion to get used to it. 

But wouldn't the teleportation be harder to get used than the old walking way? I haven't tried VR, but isn't it already hard enough to get used to "be" the camera to add, on top of that, the fact that you're in one place and, one moment later, you're on another one, having to stop for a second to realize where you are, where are you facing and where are the enemies?

No, I think locomotion should be easier for those new to VR.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Peh said:

But wouldn't the teleportation be harder to get used than the old walking way? I haven't tried VR, but isn't it already hard enough to get used to "be" the camera to add, on top of that, the fact that you're in one place and, one moment later, you're on another one, having to stop for a second to realize where you are, where are you facing and where are the enemies?

Actually, the teleportation is not an issue, at all. Some relatives which are way older tried out VR at my place and they had no orientation issues with it. You get used to that really fast and don't feel disoriented. But personally, the teleportation removes some of the immersion, thus I prefer smooth movement.

Locomotion has one downside at first for newcomers. It can make you sick. That happens when 2 of your senses, one is your eyes and the other one is inside your ears receive different informations and push that info to your brain for validation, it will go into emergency mode for possible poisoning via stomach. 

Thus, you should slowly go into locomotion and teach you brain, that this is a normal experience. Some people call it, to develop VR legs. Doing locomotion from time to time, you will not have any issues, at all. There will still be moments where even I feel sick after a lot of hours in VR. That's when the camera moves on it's own without you giving any input. 

Around the Network
Peh said:
JEMC said:

Actually, the teleportation is not an issue, at all. Some relatives which are way older tried out VR at my place and they had no orientation issues with it. You get used to that really fast and don't feel disoriented. But personally, the teleportation removes some of the immersion, thus I prefer smooth movement.

Locomotion has one downside at first for newcomers. It can make you sick. That happens when 2 of your senses, one is your eyes and the other one is inside your ears receive different informations and push that info to your brain for validation, it will go into emergency mode for possible poisoning via stomach. 

Thus, you should slowly go into locomotion and teach you brain, that this is a normal experience. Some people call it, to develop VR legs. Doing locomotion from time to time, you will not have any issues, at all. There will still be moments where even I feel sick after a lot of hours in VR. That's when the camera moves on it's own without you giving any input. 

Well, I'll have to take your word on this.

JEMC said:
Peh said:

Big NO - easiest route to get to call it a quits on VR is getting right into it with usual free moving controls and getting motion sickness after minute or two. Start with teleportation, then work your way up - I hooked few people (both gamers and nongamers) on VR via Arizona Sunshine coop mode, and no one had issues with teleportation whatsoever.

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

Big NO - easiest route to get to call it a quits on VR is getting right into it with usual free moving controls and getting motion sickness after minute or two. Start with teleportation, then work your way up - I hooked few people (both gamers and nongamers) on VR via Arizona Sunshine coop mode, and no one had issues with teleportation whatsoever.

Ok, ok! I'll have to believe you two.

So, it does nothing new with VR.

Hynad said:
So, it does nothing new with VR.

Does it need to?