By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final fantasy 7 remake demo is out now!

TruckOSaurus said:
Quartz said:
Oh yeah I forgot about summons...
I'm not a Final Fantasy 7 purist, despite the fact the PS1 was the first console I bought and I spent about 300 hours on the game. A fair bit of that was playing up to the point of beating Guard Scorpion and repeating that until I got a memory card!

That reminds me of when my brother and I rented a PS1 and FFVII (to decide if it was worth buying the console for). Of course they didn't rent us a memory card so we had to leave the console on the whole weekend to not lose our progress.

You had it on the whole weekend not just so you wouldnt lose your progress but also to see how long it could run without having smoke come pouring out of the system before buying right?

Around the Network
The Fury said:

All true and good ways around it. We know they have already changed summon (in my view in a negative way) to be closer to more modern FF games where instead of coming in, doing damage then buggering off (like they should) they are basically another party member, which to me is weird (how will Knights of the Round Work?).

@bolded: I understand the attachment to the old ways because we’re all fond of those titles we grew up with. But while summons looked cool in those titles, they were really nothing more than glorified magic spells.

Having them fight alongside us and wrecking havoc will be much more impactful and less repetitive than watching the same unique summon animation over and over again.

After ~20 years of disappointments(FFXII, FFXIII & FFXV) my favorite franchise is back. This demo was almost perfect for me. HYPE!

Radek said:
bartkuz said:
After ~20 years of disappointments(FFXII, FFXIII & FFXV) my favorite franchise is back. This demo was almost perfect for me. HYPE!

That's barely 14 years.

And FF XII is awesome.

Loneken said:
Radek said:

That's barely 14 years.

And FF XII is awesome.

OK ~15 years ;p.

FFXII - weak and confusing story, boring characters, didn't like the combat either (in the end it automatically battles for you with gambit system). Great music though. My personal opinion of the game.

With FFVII I already know it's gonna have amazing story.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
The Fury said:

All true and good ways around it. We know they have already changed summon (in my view in a negative way) to be closer to more modern FF games where instead of coming in, doing damage then buggering off (like they should) they are basically another party member, which to me is weird (how will Knights of the Round Work?).

@bolded: I understand the attachment to the old ways because we’re all fond of those titles we grew up with. But while summons looked cool in those titles, they were really nothing more than glorified magic spells.

Having them fight alongside us and wrecking havoc will be much more impactful and less repetitive than watching the same unique summon animation over and over again.

That view is nothing to do with the 'old ways'. FF10, 12 and 13 all had a mechanic where the summon would come in, fight for you instead of you controlling the main characters. I don't like that. I want summons to be a glorified magic spell. One that target's all enemies on the field and depending on things could wipe them out. I don't need to want to just control them, or for them to have and enemy bar to have to charge their main damage. I want them to come in deal damage and then bugger off.

This is a gameplay thing. I would say in those 3 games above I'd use them more if they were done in this way but I don't.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Hynad said:

That view is nothing to do with the 'old ways'. FF10, 12 and 13 all had a mechanic where the summon would come in, fight for you instead of you controlling the main characters. I don't like that. I want summons to be a glorified magic spell. One that target's all enemies on the field and depending on things could wipe them out. I don't need to want to just control them, or for them to have and enemy bar to have to charge their main damage. I want them to come in deal damage and then bugger off.

This is a gameplay thing. I would say in those 3 games above I'd use them more if they were done in this way but I don't.

Simply use powerful spells. Summons are nothing special if they do the same thing as magic.

And for all intent and purposes, summons in VIIR don’t require you to actively control them. They will come in, deal damage, and then bugger off when they’re done. 

Hynad said:

Simply use powerful spells. Summons are nothing special if they do the same thing as magic.

And for all intent and purposes, summons in VIIR don’t require you to actively control them. They will come in, deal damage, and then bugger off when they’re done. 

Summons are more powerful, that's the point. When fighting the Demon Wall you don't have Flare or Ultima, you have Bahamut and he does like 2000 damage at the time while 'Fire 2' does like 300, basic attacks are doing like 200-300. If I summon Phoenix, I don't want them to fight for me or hang about, cast your revive spell, get my team back in the fight.

All I'm hearing from you is that Knights of the Round, Bahamut Zero and Bahamut himself are going to be pants now. What's the point in them if there's better magic? Just might as well remove them.

Hmm, pie.

Hiku said:
StreaK said:

I loved the demo but after a few play throughs now, I'm starting to think the pacing was excellent until you reach the scorpion fight. Is it me or does it take just waaaay too much effort to take it down? I mean, it's overkill. What should take no more than 5-10 min is taking like 15-20 minutes. The battle was great the first time as I was just blown away by everything that was presented but now, I feel this fight just drags on and I hope it's not what to expect with other even more demanding battles.

I don't know how common it is for people to finish the fight in 15-20 mins.
But it's not that the boss fight is particularly long. It all depends on how much you understand the combat system, and the particular strategies you can employ for that fight.

Here's someone clearing it in 2m 55s:

A few strategies that stand out is not taking cover with both characters when the tail is up, but instead let Cloud be a decoy as Barret gets free shots in.

Casting Fire twice on the Left Leg will kill it instantly.

And saving the Limit Break for the very end when the boss is regenerating is apparently quite effective.

You're absolutely RIGHT! Don't worry, that post is kinda old now....my thoughts on the demo have changed now that I have gotten better. Yeah, this game is gonna be awesome!!! I could defeat that scorpion no problem now that I understand the mechanics and how it's supposed to be played. Absolutely killer battle system and gameplay. I've already spent like 10 hours with this demo alone.

TruckOSaurus said:

Alright just finished my run through the demo and I've gotta say I'm quite optimistic about this. The combat system seems to be pretty deep and once everything clicks (and you're not interrupted every 30 seconds to learn something new), I feel like it's going to be quite rewarding. For instance, at first I refused to block and dodge attacks because that's not what I expect from a RPG combat system but once I let go of my original FFVII mindset, things went much more smoothly.

I'll it feels a bit weird to get to low health with no ATB bar ready and then have to get in harm's way to hit the boss with regular attack to gain the ATB I need to use my items but it's probably just me not being used to it. Also, I wonder if I could just have blocked for a while from afar to get my ATB. Guess I'll have to do it again to try things out.

Hahaha, this right here. Everything you have just stated is exactly how I felt about the demo. Each play through got better and better. Yeah man, we're just not accustomed to the layout of everything. You can almost not enjoy it at first but for me, I was like dammit....I see the potential here. I'm not gonna hate on it just yet until I get good at it. 

Long story short....even though I sucked on my first playthrough, I loved the control and everything about the system enough for me to put in the work to understand it and get good. I love it so much that I wanted to invest the time to get good. And yes, now it's absolutely rewarding....I'm playing through that demo like a boss lol. It's second nature now like the original and to be frank, I'm actually enjoying this bombing mission more than the original's. I absolutely cannot believe I'm actually saying this right now.

FFVII, I'm ready for you!!!!