By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do gamers really want Cloud gaming?

Not me, but then I also don't stream music and I like to buy most of my movies, so I'm probably not representative for what the majority wants.

Around the Network

As of 2019, Cloud gaming market is worth $300 million. By 2024 it is expected to be worth $3 billion. A 10 fold increase in 4 years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2020-01-14/cloud-gaming-market-worth-3-107-million-by-2024-exclusive-report-by-marketsandmarkets

I’m really not keen on the concept, particularly the current model that exists in Stadia. I know Microsoft, Sony and Nvidia has there one service in some form but I don’t see how they’ll differ. For Microsoft, I don’t see how XCloud would differentiate itself from Xbox Gamepass (they’ll like merge into one eventually) aside from being more expensive.

However I still primarily get physical games and I’m looking to keep it that way so I may not be the prime target market anyway.

Doom eternal latency on Stadia after Patch 1 went down from around 120+ ms to 83+ ms. A 40 ms improvement after the patch.

https://youtu.be/4kztYLvOZ14

NOPE...NOT INTERESTED... I SAY NOPE...

Around the Network

In smaller countries with fast internet connections, and no data caps, available to everyone, I assume cloud gaming will become a big thing within the next 5 years, if not sooner. However, in North America and Australia, where low data caps and slow speeds are the norm, and servers can be quite far from some people (midwest, Canada/AUS in general), it's going to take a lot longer. For those gamers who really want the best experience possible, a physical console is always going to be the best option.

TBH i probably wouldn't care at this point if it went that way for all games. At least then the whole game is tied to your account wasting cloud space

ATM we are getting incomplete games on our media anyway, then need to download GBs of extra files to play them. This bullshit practice has actually put me off gaming in general as I like to collect games not useless broken junk. Switch seems to be the worst at it atm. All these 3rd party ports we getting suffer this issue. Get one game on the cart but then the rest of the collection is digital lol. Fuck that. Sell at as one game if that is all the physical media has. Don't slap me with extra cost of digital games

Necro post incoming!

After MS's powerplay with Bethesda, MS has shown the world that they're not messing about when it comes to their vision of a cloud gaming future. Now there are rumors floating about that they'll announce the acquisition of Sega at TGS too... Normally I would call BS but now, I'm not sure anymore lol.

So what you guys think of Cloud gaming now, is this really going to be the future? Personally I just don't see how people - who never owned a console before - will all of a sudden become reformed gamers just because they don't need to buy a console or PC anymore. My granny plays Candy Crush on her phone all the time, doesn't mean she's interested in fragging fools in COD Warzone, though.

I'm actually pretty impressed with cloud gaming now. Not my ideal way to play but definitely has potential.

d21lewis said:
I'm actually pretty impressed with cloud gaming now. Not my ideal way to play but definitely has potential.

I was playing a bit of Minecraft Dungeons in the train today and the idea of playing a full blown game on a phone is pretty cool. But like you said, not the ideal way to play. We'll see how GP subscribers will grow now that GP is on Android. But I just don't see many people carrying a xbox controller with them and spending $15 bucks a month on GP, especially people who never play on consoles in the first place.