By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony cancelling PAX East 2020 attendance due to coronavirus concerns

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Does this seem like a bit of an overreaction to anyone else? There was a single Coronavirus case reported in Boston, but that was on February 1st, PAX East begins on February 27th. No new cases have been reported in Boston since then, and 26 days is plenty of time for that one guy to fully recover and for symptoms to appear in any people that he interacted with, if he transmitted it to anyone else.

sales2099 said:
Given how little Boston is affected (as in almost nobody), I’m honestly feel this is just Sony saving some money.

There was a communications expo in Barcelona that got cancelled because the companies didn't want to risk going there. It would have attracted people from around the globe, and probably learning what happened in Singapore (where a simple business meeting in a hotel resulted in dozens of infected worldwide), decided it would be too risky to do that, even if Spain is much further away from the hotspot than Singapore was. That's also the reason why the INTA 2020 (International Trademark Association), which was supposed to be held in Singapore, has been cancelled and relocated to the US

shikamaru317 said:

..and most of the major US airports, including Logan International Airport in Boston, are screening for Coronavirus with thermal scanners.

Which has already been proved to be ineffective as several people (later diagnosed) have "slipped through". But it makes good news to soothe people that "something is done".

twintail said:
shikamaru317 said:
Does this seem like a bit of an overreaction to anyone else? There was a single Coronavirus case reported in Boston, but that was on February 1st, PAX East begins on February 27th. No new cases have been reported in Boston since then, and 26 days is plenty of time for that one guy to fully recover and for symptoms to appear in any people that he interacted with, if he transmitted it to anyone else.

So PAX is only for Boston people?

sales2099 said:
Given how little Boston is affected (as in almost nobody), I’m honestly feel this is just Sony saving some money.

So are you saying that all the represented Sony employees only come from Boston? The employees for the rest of the exhibitors come from Boston? The people who attend PAX are only from Boston?

shikamaru317 said:

Makes you wonder what is going on at Sony. The rumored PS5 reveal event this month didn't happen, they confirmed they won't be at E3, and now they are cancelling their PAX East plans as well, using what seems like an excuse rather than a legitimate concern.

Are you a conspiracy theorist?

Unlsss the convention usually has a high Chinese population from the Wuhan province...yes I do think it’s suspicious. Sony being extremely quiet the last few months gotta admit. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

double post

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 20 February 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
sales2099 said:

Unlsss the convention usually has a high Chinese population from the Wuhan province...yes I do think it’s suspicious. Sony being extremely quiet the last few months gotta admit. 

You don't need a high number of ppl to infect many others, especially with the Corona Virus. It just takes a single person in a crowded area to do so. 

Just yesterday it was confirmed that a 20 ppl had become infected in a city in Korea because of a single woman, who also had no links to anyone from Wuhan. It's suspected that that number is going to rise because of how many big social gatherings she attended before there was evident signs of her being infected.

As for Sony being extremely quiet: in relation to next-gen plans yeah probably, but no rush there.

Thats Korea...how many native Chinese citizens come to PAX every year? It’s a rhetorical question. It’s completely unnecessary on Sony’s part...they owe their fans better.

sales2099 said:

You're back, and as purposely dense as ever. 

❌ BAN: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 20 February 2020

LurkerJ said:
sales2099 said:

You're back, and as purposely dense as ever. 

I went to a big auto convention just this Monday. Life goes on. And btw when someone recognizes me from my YT days 10 years ago I’m always flattered :)

My guess is that Sony 1) wants to avoid talking about PS5 as long as possible for a host of reason, and/or 2) is starting to confront the possibility that they won't be able to ship PS5 this year due to supply constraints that may or may not be related to the virus.

I'll be interested to see if MS also avoids talking about the XSX and/or starts throwing out the virus as an excuse for anything.

Also, companies know that they can use this situation as an excuse if they miss sales targets, release dates, or for just about any other purpose they want. Sony may be milking it a bit here. Or, they may be honestly concerned. Given the extremely low risks involved with an event in this region, I'm thinking they're at least squeezing a little milk out.

VAMatt said:
My guess is that Sony 1) wants to avoid talking about PS5 as long as possible for a host of reason, and/or 2) is starting to confront the possibility that they won't be able to ship PS5 this year due to supply constraints that may or may not be related to the virus.

I'll be interested to see if MS also avoids talking about the XSX and/or starts throwing out the virus as an excuse for anything.

Also, companies know that they can use this situation as an excuse if they miss sales targets, release dates, or for just about any other purpose they want. Sony may be milking it a bit here. Or, they may be honestly concerned. Given the extremely low risks involved with an event in this region, I'm thinking they're at least squeezing a little milk out.

Sony also cancelling Mobile world congress. So it doesn't have anything with PS5, https://www.theverge.com/tech/2020/2/13/21135777/mobile-world-congress-cancellation-whats-next