By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios hires New Super Lucky’s Tale and Crysis 3 devs

Vodacixi said:
curl-6 said:

Now if only they'd actually, you know, fucking produce something.

6 years now with zero to show for themselves. A competently run studio could've put out two games in that time.

We don't know what happened with Retro Studios those years. I refuse to believe that they just couldn't build up a game. At worst, they would have made another DKC... and they are more than capable of doing that.

I just have the feeling that they were working on something, was almost finished, but Nintendo shut it down (most likely Star Fox Grand Prix. And after that, the morale just... dropped.

Grand Prix was never real. It was always a joke that got out of hand into a bad rumor. Starlink had Starfox racing anyway. If any game was canned it was probably the unidentified robot arm from the goodbye Reggie picture Retro sent to him but Reggies covered up minus one arm.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Vodacixi said:

We don't know what happened with Retro Studios those years. I refuse to believe that they just couldn't build up a game. At worst, they would have made another DKC... and they are more than capable of doing that.

I just have the feeling that they were working on something, was almost finished, but Nintendo shut it down (most likely Star Fox Grand Prix. And after that, the morale just... dropped.

It's true we don't know exactly what happened, but the end result is the same; the last time they released a new game was 6 years ago. I find it hard to imagine Nintendo canning an almost finished game for no good reason. Something at Retro clearly went horribly wrong and we just don't know if the Retro of today and recent years is even capable of what they once were.

Starfox 2.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

It's true we don't know exactly what happened, but the end result is the same; the last time they released a new game was 6 years ago. I find it hard to imagine Nintendo canning an almost finished game for no good reason. Something at Retro clearly went horribly wrong and we just don't know if the Retro of today and recent years is even capable of what they once were.

Starfox 2.

That was well over 20 years ago, hardly applicable to the current era. Games were far less of an investment then, and the Nintendo of today is not the Nintendo of 1995.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Starfox 2.

That was well over 20 years ago, hardly applicable to the current era. Games were far less of an investment then, and the Nintendo of today is not the Nintendo of 1995.

Games get canned all the time. Some near finished often. It just happens. Near finished doesn't mean they were satisfied with it. May as well consider Pikmin 4 canned at this point. It was supposedly near finished 5 years ago. Project Robot was canned tho we don't know how far along it was.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Games get canned all the time. Some near finished often. It just happens. Near finished doesn't mean they were satisfied with it. May as well consider Pikmin 4 canned at this point. It was supposedly near finished 5 years ago. Project Robot was canned tho we don't know how far along it was.

If they did make a game and it was unsatisfactory and not fit for launch, that would be even further evidence that Retro have lost their way.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

If they did make a game and it was unsatisfactory and not fit for launch, that's even further evidence that Retro has lost their way.

It happens with studios to can far along with games. You're reading too much into anything. You're just assuming based on practically nothing. Studios in trouble don't make a bunch of new hires in a few months. NST is still around making games and Project Hammer was pure hell to work on.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

If they did make a game and it was unsatisfactory and not fit for launch, that's even further evidence that Retro has lost their way.

It happens with studios to can far along with games. You're reading too much into anything. You're just assuming based on practically nothing. Studios in trouble don't make a bunch of new hires in a few months. NST is still around making games and Project Hammer was pure hell to work on.

It's not based on nothing. Retro have not produced a new game in over 6 years. That is a cold hard fact.

Perhaps by now they have managed to right the ship, that is entirely possible, but studios with a record of producing a game every 3 years don't just go silent for 6 years straight for no reason. At some point there were clearly severe problems at Retro.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

It's not based on nothing. Retro have not produced a new game in over 6 years. That is a cold hard fact.

Perhaps by now they have managed to right the ship, that is entirely possible, but studios with a record of producing a game every 3 years don't just go silent for 6 years straight for no reason. At some point there were clearly severe problems at Retro.

Again assuming based on nothing. They could have been fine with it but Miyamoto said no. He's very fickle where he wants perfection out of some projects and others we get Starfox Zero. He loves to scream at people no matter what behind doors. We all can assume and speculate all day but again cold hard fact is. Studios don't hire a bunch of people who are in trouble. They hired Naughty Dog and ex Vigil guys during the Wii U era as well. Games are hard to make. Things happen. No use fretting over it. I'm done

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Again assuming based on nothing. They could have been fine with it but Miyamoto said no. He's very fickle where he wants perfection out of some projects and others we get Starfox Zero. He loves to scream at people no matter what behind doors. We all can assume and speculate all day but again cold hard fact is. Studios don't hire a bunch of people who are in trouble. They hired Naughty Dog and ex Vigil guys during the Wii U era as well. Games are hard to make. Things happen. No use fretting over it. I'm done

Again, not based on nothing, based on 6 years of failing to produce anything. But yeah, no point ruminating on it, so I'm done too.

curl-6 said:
Vodacixi said:

The end result is the same, but the ones to blame may not be Retro Studios. All I'm saying is that until we know what happened, saying Retro is not capable because they haven't released a game in 6 years MIGHT be unfair to them. Then again, it could be anything really...

As for canning near complete games... it happened before