By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is the word normie an insult

 

Is normie an insult

Yes 16 55.17%
 
No 13 44.83%
 
Total:29

I just call him Norman. I don't know him well enough to give him a nickname.



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Around the Network

But really, depending on the circumstances, anything can be an insult.

Guy 1: "I love pizza."
Guy 2: "Yeah. That's what I'd expect from an AMERICAN!"

All of a sudden you're insulted because you were called exactly what you are.

Zombie Apocalypse:
"Are you a cannibal?"
"No, I'm a normie!"

It's all context you goddam burger sniffer.



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

d21lewis said:
I just call him Norman. I don't know him well enough to give him a nickname.

Ironically there was a Warner Bros. cartoon short in the 60s called Normal Norman.



Never heard anyone say it so I dunno.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

pikashoe said:

So I've recently had an argument with someone about the use of the word normie. They claimed that they weren't calling people normies is not an insult while I said that the word as used in the modern day is an insult. So I've decided to ask people here there opinion on the use of the word. Is it an insult or not.

It's just a word. The fact that people take that word or any other word as an insult depends entirely on their perspective.

First we need to understand the meaning of this word. A normie (as I understand it) is a person whose life, beliefs and philosophies are within the norm. The norm is what the majority of people in society agree upon as being what is ok, acceptable and even desirable. Nothing more and nothing less.

But we live in a time when rejecting the norm has become the cool thing to do and thus saying you are not part of the norm becomes desirable and in this context being called a normie could be perceived as an insult. Unfortunately most people who believe they are not part of the norm actually are totally part of it. They are part of a culture that wants to define itself as being outside the norm but they still behave within society's parameters and thus are totally part of the norm. Yet I don't think this would qualify as an insult.

I am the farthest away from being a normie as it is possible to be but does that mean I should feel insulted? Of course not, I would simply debunk it as being absurd. I would reply something like this: Really, I am a normie? In what universe a detached free thinker rejecting all norms of society beyond what I can even talk about in this forum, like me is part of the norm? It's as if you'd call a thin person fat or a tall person a midget etc.

From my perspective you are all normies as your deviations from the norms appear to me as still being the norm or if not, still so close to the norm that it doesn't really strike me as really different from it.



Around the Network

I wouldn’t be insulted by that. Because non normies tend to live a lower standard of lifestyle because it’s “different”.



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

CrazyGamer2017 said:
pikashoe said:

So I've recently had an argument with someone about the use of the word normie. They claimed that they weren't calling people normies is not an insult while I said that the word as used in the modern day is an insult. So I've decided to ask people here there opinion on the use of the word. Is it an insult or not.

It's just a word. The fact that people take that word or any other word as an insult depends entirely on their perspective.

First we need to understand the meaning of this word. A normie (as I understand it) is a person whose life, beliefs and philosophies are within the norm. The norm is what the majority of people in society agree upon as being what is ok, acceptable and even desirable. Nothing more and nothing less.

But we live in a time when rejecting the norm has become the cool thing to do and thus saying you are not part of the norm becomes desirable and in this context being called a normie could be perceived as an insult. Unfortunately most people who believe they are not part of the norm actually are totally part of it. They are part of a culture that wants to define itself as being outside the norm but they still behave within society's parameters and thus are totally part of the norm. Yet I don't think this would qualify as an insult.

I am the farthest away from being a normie as it is possible to be but does that mean I should feel insulted? Of course not, I would simply debunk it as being absurd. I would reply something like this: Really, I am a normie? In what universe a detached free thinker rejecting all norms of society beyond what I can even talk about in this forum, like me is part of the norm? It's as if you'd call a thin person fat or a tall person a midget etc.

From my perspective you are all normies as your deviations from the norms appear to me as still being the norm or if not, still so close to the norm that it doesn't really strike me as really different from it.

There are words created specifically as insults, a word such as idiot, can only be taken as an insult. There are words that are created for the sole purpose of being insults. Whether someone takes insult at being called something is irrelevant.



Could be both. I like being normie in some things and not so in others. This would differ from person to person. I guess not that big of an insult.



pikashoe said:
There are words created specifically as insults, a word such as idiot, can only be taken as an insult. There are words that are created for the sole purpose of being insults. Whether someone takes insult at being called something is irrelevant.

Not true, the word idiot is meant to describe someone that acts in an idiotic way. We may abuse that word and call somebody an idiot just cause we feel like attacking that person, yes. But the word's true meaning is not an insult, it's meant to describe a kind of behavior.

I don't think there are any words created specifically to insult someone. Such words have a meaning describing a specific behavior or state. It's actually their misuse that becomes an insult. Also determining that a word is used as an insult is contextual too. You can call someone an idiot in a friendly way or you can do it to hurt that person, context is key to intention here.



CrazyGamer2017 said:
pikashoe said:
There are words created specifically as insults, a word such as idiot, can only be taken as an insult. There are words that are created for the sole purpose of being insults. Whether someone takes insult at being called something is irrelevant.

Not true, the word idiot is meant to describe someone that acts in an idiotic way. We may abuse that word and call somebody an idiot just cause we feel like attacking that person, yes. But the word's true meaning is not an insult, it's meant to describe a kind of behavior.

I don't think there are any words created specifically to insult someone. Such words have a meaning describing a specific behavior or state. It's actually their misuse that becomes an insult. Also determining that a word is used as an insult is contextual too. You can call someone an idiot in a friendly way or you can do it to hurt that person, context is key to intention here.

I'll give idiot just because its origin was from a medical term, even though that term is no longer used in that way. Although the origin of a word has little bearing on how a word is used currently. 

If you don't think there are words created for the sole purpose of being insults, than you have a wealth of language you have yet to discover. I suggest visiting Ireland, Scotland or Australia you will find so many bizzare and creative words created for just insulting people.

Context is important in whether someone tajes offense to an insult but has zero bearing on weather a word is an insult.