By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro Games: Underrated or Overrated: Castlevania 64 edition!

Is Castlevania 64 Underrated or Overrated?

Overrated! What were thos... 1 9.09%

Underrated, it gets unwar... 2 18.18%

Justly rated in 1999, gre... 7 63.64%

Fine like wine! The game ... 0 0%

The game is pedestrian, y... 1 9.09%

Total:11

Quite frankly right from the title screen the music captivated me, and the imagery of the castle was epic and foreboding. The first level was very atmospheric, and the graphic quality while a step below Nintendo's ultimate masterpiece, was still about as good as console 3-D games got in the late 90's before the american arrival of the Dreamcast. I was immersed in the game from the get go. It was an eerie, satisfying adventure, full of mystery and in addition it featured a decent storyline for both protagonists Reinhardt and Carrie.

Those could have been my exact words! I agree 100% with this. really enjoyed this game back then and I also replayed it a couple of years ago. Still the same excitement! Sometimes, when I'm in the mood for some retro gaming, I pull out some cool N64 games and let the vibes flow. Castlevania 64 is definitely one of those games that take me back and lift me up. Of course it has some flaws, but it is still very enjoyable and I really like the atmosphere.

Also, there's vampires crawling across walls and ceilings. Nuff said.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
SanAndreasX said:

Goemon was a legit good title that I wish were available today. I liked it better than any other N64 title that wasn't made by Nintendo of Japan, and yes, that includes Rare's games.

Perhaps in a future iteration of this voting poll threads, I will feature Goemon...it was actually in the list of games I was thinking in using for this edition. Heck of a game, with beautiful visuals, and fun gameplay mechanics. It was also very distinct from pretty much any other game around that period of time. It is usually one of the forgotten games when talking about great N64 games and should definitely be included in the conversation.

I've always said that Goemon did 3-D Zelda before Ocarina of Time did. While obviously not as polished as OoT and having a greater emphasis on the platforming roots of the Goemon series, it was a pretty good sized action adventure. It even had a very basic version of the Hookshot.

GoOnKid said:

Quite frankly right from the title screen the music captivated me, and the imagery of the castle was epic and foreboding. The first level was very atmospheric, and the graphic quality while a step below Nintendo's ultimate masterpiece, was still about as good as console 3-D games got in the late 90's before the american arrival of the Dreamcast. I was immersed in the game from the get go. It was an eerie, satisfying adventure, full of mystery and in addition it featured a decent storyline for both protagonists Reinhardt and Carrie.

Those could have been my exact words! I agree 100% with this. really enjoyed this game back then and I also replayed it a couple of years ago. Still the same excitement! Sometimes, when I'm in the mood for some retro gaming, I pull out some cool N64 games and let the vibes flow. Castlevania 64 is definitely one of those games that take me back and lift me up. Of course it has some flaws, but it is still very enjoyable and I really like the atmosphere.

Also, there's vampires crawling across walls and ceilings. Nuff said.

Oh yes, when you first enter the Villa, the in game cutscene with the Vampire was epic! Truly I agree with everything you have said.

Jpcc86 said:
I couldnt get into the original game because I absolutely loathed the controls and camera, but I did finish Legacy of Darkness even tho it fixes none of those issues. I did enjoy it quite a bit back then, but I do think its aged really badly.

The controls were iffy indeed. I sort of forgave that flaw because back then, Nintendo alone seemed to have a grip on perfect controls in a 3-D space. I can still enjoy the games because of the atmosphere and music.

While the Skeletons riding the motorcycles was dumb. That moment when that gate opened and that giant skeleton boss roar was exactly the kind of moment I wanted in a Castlevania game in 3D. It was shocking. It was scary and it made the player go "OH FUCK!"

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
While the Skeletons riding the motorcycles was dumb. That moment when that gate opened and that giant skeleton boss roar was exactly the kind of moment I wanted in a Castlevania game in 3D. It was shocking. It was scary and it made the player go "OH FUCK!"

I agree, that was a pretty cool first impression for a boss battle in the game!

I played it when I was 12 or 13, it was really scary back then, never managed to finish it, propably played over 100 hours. can't really say if it is rated fair.

ruffy37 said:
I played it when I was 12 or 13, it was really scary back then, never managed to finish it, propably played over 100 hours. can't really say if it is rated fair.

I was about 14-15. It was a hard game, I remember starting off in easy mode and getting to the one tomb underground ....and the game would end telling me I had to start in normal mode to get past that. It took me serious hours, and I didn't get the real ending until a few years later... you wouldn't face the real last boss unless you reach it within a certain 'in game' time limit. 

Level 5, the inner castle, was hard! Especially that part where you have to collect the explosive liquid and transport it safely to the cracked wall, but right that is when the game decides to throw even more enemies towards you. One hit and you blow up! Also, no jumping. Not every single jump might cause the explosion, but the chances are high enough. So every step is dangerous, especially on top of moving platforms and gearwheels. That was pure adrenalin! I died so many times there. However, once you've done it you get kind of rewarded with one of the best boss fights.

Sammy, since this is a series of threads, maybe you could put links to the other topics into the op? That woud be dope.

GoOnKid said:

Level 5, the inner castle, was hard! Especially that part where you have to collect the explosive liquid and transport it safely to the cracked wall, but right that is when the game decides to throw even more enemies towards you. One hit and you blow up! Also, no jumping. Not every single jump might cause the explosion, but the chances are high enough. So every step is dangerous, especially on top of moving platforms and gearwheels. That was pure adrenalin! I died so many times there. However, once you've done it you get kind of rewarded with one of the best boss fights.

Sammy, since this is a series of threads, maybe you could put links to the other topics into the op? That woud be dope.

Yes, I do remember that section of the game, and yes I do remember dying a lot in it. Also it is a great idea to post Links to the first two threads. Thank you. Tomorrow I will Link up to them in the original post, I am on a cell phone now ...and it is sort of cumbersome to navigate the page lol.