By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch has sold through over 48 million units by the end of 2019

Nintendo makes their money anyway through each shipment, right? It doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Nintendo makes their money anyway through each shipment, right? It doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Consumer sales dictate the pace of future shipping. Which is why the shipping forecast for this quarter is so low. You can't keep shipping more than you sell so of course 48.8m sold to consumers instead of 50m sold to consumers matters, if they had sold-through 1.2m more their shipping performance for this quarter would be better.

But yes Nintendo have already been paid for the 52.48m shipped.

RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:
How does someone who just created an account on 12/21/2019 know about the history of this person who has been banned for quite a while?

Nothing hints at that account from December 2019 knowing about the history of the permabanned guy.

If you're talking about me, I've been lurking these foruns for some time before making an account and I'm well aware of cliffrick. But as you pointed, I did not need to know that to spot the clear BS on his posts.

Now I think about it, VGC numbers also can be overtracked so Imo it's more like 48.4.

KingofTrolls said:
Now I think about it, VGC numbers also can be overtracked so Imo it's more like 48.4.

Based on?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Based on?

I think recent adjustments kill my faith in VGC tracking.

KingofTrolls said:
zorg1000 said:

Based on?

I think recent adjustments kill my faith in VGC tracking.

You're an idiot. 

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 31 January 2020

GProgrammer said:
Adjustments incoming 3 . 2 . 1
So it is at least 2 million overtracked on this site. Still excellent numbers though, Sell through will pass 50million this quarter, probably next month. Is that quicker than what the PS4 managed?
Interesting the launch of the lite helped sales in Japan much more than in North American and Europe

Don't have exact sell through for the same period. However, we do have Sony's sell through for the next quarter, 53.4M. I imagine PS4 will be ahead by at least 1M-2M.

zorg1000 said:
KingofTrolls said:

Based on?

If there was a half million units, they would probably mention it.

if your like we did 48,000,001 units.... thats really exact and 1 single unit doesnt mean much.
However 500,000+ units, is enough for you to mention it.

Instead of "over 48m", it would have been "more than 48,5m".

Sony, Nintendo, MS have all reported half million units numbers before.

His point of assumeing "over" 48m, means 800,000+ units (which is almost 49m) is abit much.
At that point, they might as well just have rounded up, and said "almost 49" million.

Setting it at 48,8m its probably still 400k+ units overtracked on VGCz :p

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 01 February 2020

JRPGfan said:
zorg1000 said:

Based on?

If there was a half million units, they would probably mention it.

if your like we did 48,000,001 units.... thats really exact and 1 single unit doesnt mean much.
However 500,000+ units, is enough for you to mention it.

Instead of "over 48m", it would have been "more than 48,5m".

Sony, Nintendo, MS have all reported half million units numbers before.

Sony have a history of using a single decimal place when reporting sell-through figures. Nintendo do not.

December 10th 2017 - "Sell-through for Nintendo Switch has surpassed 10m units."

October 2019 - "Sales in Europe More than 10 million"

October 2019 - "Nintendo Switch is creating smiles and enjoying broad appeal, with more than 15 million consumers across North America"

Shipped they announce with exact figures, sold-through is "More than X million."