By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Man with Coronavirus seeks woman with Lyme disease.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/corona-beer-fear-coronavirus/

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:
Stage 2: Anger. I've not been following what's going on with the hysteria. I've only heard some toilet paper stories which me and my wife make plenty jokes over.

I am so confused as to why the panic buying of toiler paper is a thing.

Because every time one person sneezes a hundred others shit themselves

vivster said:
John2290 said:

Wow. I never thought I'd see you in line with Trump on something. My respect. 

I'm worried gor two people in my life who will be warrented a death sentence from this virus so nothing would change. It also doesn't matter about the death rate, if it was much lower the problem doesn't just go away as it's still exponential and critical patients are still going to over load the system at some point as they pile up through the year even if it's half of the expected 10% or a quarter or an eight. We've seen now in Italy how little stress a well managed medical system can take and it is very little. You cut the numbers down tenfold and they still pile up over time with the rate and breath of infection. 

Why do you ask?

The health care system is overwhelmed not because of the severity of the virus but because of the forced and unproportional reaction to it.

You're German. Your deaths and serious/critical cases are nearly 20 times lower than Spain and France even though you have roughly the same amount of infected. What's your secret?

SvennoJ said:

The measures in Europe seem to have some effect at least. It looks like the growth of new cases is slowing down a bit. It's still growing on average but heading towards linear growth instead of exponential. Just close the airports, people with mild symptoms can spread it on as well without even realizing it. Traveling over the world is practically playing Russian roulette with those over 50 and those working in healthcare. Chances are small but use a conference call for business and go without that far away vacation for a while. The damage is far greater in the long run.

Nearly 50K active (detected) cases atm, 33K outside China spread over 118 countries.

This is what you risk bringing to your country when you travel

Airline traffic has gone down a lot already, but the planes still need to move lol, this world. (They're fixing that now)
https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-eu-moves-to-stop-ghost-flights-amid-covid-19-turbulence

What measures? Spain looks set to be another hotspot. They overtook France and Germany out of nowhere. Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all seeing huge % increases. Norway's already helped knock the UK out of the top 10 and Sweden and Denmark look set to overtake us if we don't see a big increase soon.

The chart in the tweet is from 3 days ago. France, Germany and Spain are now all in the 1600-1800 range where Italy was.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

UK Health minister Nadine Dorries tests positive to coronavirus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51827356?at_campaign=64&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom2=twitter&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=665CC0D6-631F-11EA-9316-3AE539982C1E

Pyro as Bill said:

France, Germany and Spain are now all in the 1600-1800 range where Italy was.

The us have crossed the 1k milestone too. Italy is over 10k

Around the Network

Poland shuts schools, universities, museums and cinemas.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8099501/Poland-closes-schools-museums-cinemas-amid-coronavirus.html

I think the exponential growth in Western Europe and the US isn't surprising. But any country, like China, Italy and South Korea that faces a significant outbreak will simply ratch up the measures to more drastic levels to contain to the point that the outbreak peaks and then drops, as it has done in China and South Korea and will soon in Italy.

The thing is, as experts have warned, you can't deploy these measures too soon because public will simply not respect them and get bored and frustrated by the time they are required. So you have to wait for the eye of the storm, to the point where there is a localised sense of actual danger and people almost don't need to be told to socially isolate anymore.

Of course, it also helps - and perhaps is required - to have politicians who care about incisively facing the issue as soon as possible (like in South Korea, where the MERS outbreak is still remembered) instead of downplaying the threat as a hoax or whatever.

Pyro as Bill said:

What measures? Spain looks set to be another hotspot. They overtook France and Germany out of nowhere. Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all seeing huge % increases. Norway's already helped knock the UK out of the top 10 and Sweden and Denmark look set to overtake us if we don't see a big increase soon.

The chart in the tweet is from 3 days ago. France, Germany and Spain are now all in the 1600-1800 range where Italy was.

I'm referring to the daily cases growth factor
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#cases-growth-factor

Much less people traveling, closing events, social distancing, it is slowing down the exponential growth in cases. It's still positive and new outbreaks initially start quite fast until social distancing measure and travel restrictions get implemented. Also when a case gets detected, there are already more cases related to that one case. The growth in new cases in Italy was down yesterday but it could just be a statistical anomaly or something else going on with testing.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Spain seems to have ramped up their testing or cleared a backlog of tests? Big spike on the 9th and more on the 10th. It happened in China as well when they caught up with testing. Although there they were a lot further along already and had a spike of 14K backlog cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

But indeed, it seems the virus follows the same pattern where ever it takes hold. Germany is the anomaly though. Maybe they are very good at testing and tracing contacts, the only country actually on top of this thing and not lagging behind. Only 9 serious/critical out of 1652 detected is very different from France and Spain. However the US also only classifies 10 as serious/critical but has 31 deaths already with 600 less detected cases than Germany.

Different countries, different tests, different classifications I guess.

First sign of local spread in Canada? :/

While the Public Health investigation is ongoing, it is known that on March 2 and 3, this individual attended the PDAC (Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada) 2020 convention in Toronto. Public Health Sudbury & Districts is actively engaged in follow up and is collaborating with the Ministry of Health and the local health system.

Time to cancel large events here as well.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 11 March 2020

John2290 said:

It's confirmed, if you believe China, that the virus last 5 days in bodily fluids and two weeks on hard surfaces. Don't wank onto hard suraces!

And to people spreading false stats, the fatality rate is estimated to be 1% and is currently tagged at 3.4% by the WHO before Italys numbers started spiking. 10 to 34 times deadlier than the flu. 

This is bullshit.

It is 6,06% today and it increases again every days because of the numbers of Italy.

Amnesia said:
John2290 said:

This is bullshit.

It is 6,06% today and it increases again every days because of the numbers of Italy.

Underreported cases. Considering the disease takes, on average, two weeks to kill someone, there must be a huge number of these.

Unless, of course, you believe the death rate is 150%, considering the number of cases Italy had back then (~400).