By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

The most cases of the virus in the US is in the nyc zipcode 11368. There is a neighborhood/street named Corona in that zipcode. Lol.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
France continues to spike in cases and deaths.

france is adding batches of the deaths that occured in nursing homes over the last weeks/months to their tally once they are reasonably sure covid-19 was involved - many other countries only announce deaths in hospitals for now, as that's the easiest to track

we won't have realiable numbers for months to come

jason1637 said:

What Lafiel said. Looking at the hospitalization rates France's growth rate has already peaked just like Spain
https://geodes.santepubliquefrance.fr/#c=indicator&f=0&i=covid_hospit.hosp&s=2020-04-07&t=a01&view=map1
(Click on Synthese to get a graph)
The hospitalization rate is flattening out indicating the growth peak is already behind.

France looks to be the only country trying to get accurate case and fatality numbers. Unfortunately all these corrections make it impossible to pinpoint exactly where they peaked. Somewhere between April 1st and April 5th is my guess.

What is concerning is that without France's correction spike, the USA again (almost) has as many new cases as all of Europe.
Europe added 41,821 new cases, however France added an extra 5K or 6K older cases today. The USA is already at 33,331 for today.
Yesterday Europe only reported 29K cases, USA 30K new cases.
The USA is will soon take the lead in daily growth compared to Europe.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 07 April 2020

SvennoJ said:
jason1637 said:

What Lafiel said. Looking at the hospitalization rates France's growth rate has already peaked just like Spain
https://geodes.santepubliquefrance.fr/#c=indicator&f=0&i=covid_hospit.hosp&s=2020-04-07&t=a01&view=map1
(Click on Synthese to get a graph)
The hospitalization rate is flattening out indicating the growth peak is already behind.

France looks to be the only country trying to get accurate case and fatality numbers. Unfortunately all these corrections make it impossible to pinpoint exactly where they peaked. Somewhere between April 1st and April 5th is my guess.

What is concerning is that without France's correction spike, the USA again (almost) has as many new cases as all of Europe.
Europe added 41,821 new cases, however France added an extra 5K or 6K older cases today. The USA is already at 33,331 for today.
Yesterday Europe only reported 29K cases, USA 30K new cases.
The USA is will soon take the lead in daily growth compared to Europe.

That doesn't explain the rise in new cases. Over 11k new cases today. Are they mass testing now?

jason1637 said:

That doesn't explain the rise in new cases. Over 11k new cases today. Are they mass testing now?

Sort of, in hot spots.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-toll/frances-coronavirus-death-rate-accelerates-cases-near-100000-idUSKBN21O2OX

France’s coronavirus figures on Monday showed that the rate of increase in fatalities - now at almost 9,000 - sped up again after several days of slowing, while the increase in people needing intensive care continued to decelerate.

“The pandemic hasn’t stopped expanding. The figures prove it,” Health Minister Olivier Veran said, adding that the government had decided to mass screen nursing homes which account for about 27% of the total death toll.

“We must keep up our efforts as citizens by staying at home,” Veran added. Some health officials had suggested on Sunday that French people appeared to comply less strictly to the national lockdown than in other countries.

France started including data from nursing homes last Thursday, which partially explains why the official number of deaths has more than doubled since Wednesday.

The wording implies it's deliberate to keep people from going back to normal too soon.

Belgium added 241 prior deaths (from nursing homes) as well. France and Belgium raising Europe's daily reported deaths to the highest its been yet.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 08 April 2020

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

sethnintendo said:

Do you feel like being in debt your entire life?  If so join up to USA healthcare system.

That, sir, is a non-responsive answer.  Why do you say that the virus has settled the debate of the quality of the United States healthcare system?

Have you ever been sick in USA?  Have you ever seen a medical bill from USA hospital?  Do you know that most people have to pay a 2K+ deductible before their insurance even covers anything and you better damn sure that you checked into in network hospital covered by your insurance.  You know maybe we have semi decent healthcare but when you charge people out the ass then a poor person must debate.  Gee is it better to live in debt the rest of my life and still be alive.  Or maybe it is better to just die.

NightlyPoe said:
sethnintendo said:

Have you ever been sick in USA?  Have you ever seen a medical bill from USA hospital?  Do you know that most people have to pay a 2K+ deductible before their insurance even covers anything and you better damn sure that you checked into in network hospital covered by your insurance.  You know maybe we have semi decent healthcare but when you charge people out the ass then a poor person must debate.  Gee is it better to live in debt the rest of my life and still be alive.  Or maybe it is better to just die.

You're still not responding.  The topic you introduced was the quality of the American healthcare system and whether this pandemic has exposed the system as not as good as Americans say.  Obviously insurance deductibles weren't introduced last month when the pandemic started, so make your case as to what about the pandemic has actually exposed the flaws of the quality of the actual healthcare.

Okay Sherlock.  We pay more in healthcare than any other country yet we are behind a shit ton of countries for general health of population.  Is it the food industry?  The pharmaceutical industry?  Take your pick.  Of course the treatment better be semi decent when going to hospital because you are paying out your ass for it.   It is fucking overpriced because it is for profit.  Go to hospital and have them give you a Tylenol.  I'm pretty damn sure they will either bill you or your insurance company about 50 dollars for that one pill.

If that doesn't seem like a flawed system then you are hopeless.  No further discussion needed.  You are a lost cause.

I find it a bit weird that so many people are opposed to immunity certificates, but at the same time view vaccines as the end solution. They say that we should not let people with immunity outside because we don't know how long it'll last or how strong the immunity is or that the virus is mutating, so immunity won't help. Well, great, that also means that we shouldn't let vaccinated people outside then.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

NightlyPoe said:

You are trying to shift the topic, and I'm not going to follow you.  Further discussion isn't needed because I'm not interested in debating the merits of single-payer vs. market-based health insurance, at least not tonight.  I'm asking you to defend this comment:

I'm just glad this virus finally puts to rest USA has best medical system.

Can you give me a reason why an objective person who is just looking at the response to the outbreak would look at how the United States healthcare is responding so far and think that it puts the matter to rest.  If you can't that's fine.  Just retract the statement.

The US healthcare system is generally viewed as a terrible system by most developed countries. So there really is no need to put anything to rest in the first place.

https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf

last92 said:
NightlyPoe said:

You are trying to shift the topic, and I'm not going to follow you.  Further discussion isn't needed because I'm not interested in debating the merits of single-payer vs. market-based health insurance, at least not tonight.  I'm asking you to defend this comment:

I'm just glad this virus finally puts to rest USA has best medical system.

Can you give me a reason why an objective person who is just looking at the response to the outbreak would look at how the United States healthcare is responding so far and think that it puts the matter to rest.  If you can't that's fine.  Just retract the statement.

The US healthcare system is generally viewed as a terrible system by most developed countries. So there really is no need to put anything to rest in the first place.

https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf

Yeah, but the POTUS said the WHO is stupid. So it's basically word against word.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.