By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

JRPGfan said:
Peh said:

I can't say it any nicer, but the Trump administration is a piece of shit.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-confirms-that-donald-trump-tried-to-buy-firm-working-on-coronavirus-vaccine/

They are willing to buy CureVac, a German company, which is working on a vaccines. The Trump administration wants the vaccine exclusive for the US. 

CureVac will share the vaccine with the world once it's ready.

Why not try to make a quick buck, on the death and suffering and fear of such, others have? *sarcasm*

This is the same thing with the quick testing methode the germans made, for CoVid-19.

Amercan didnt want to use it, because they cant profit off of it, so they attempted to make their own, and ran into issues with mass production and reliability. This caused delays to testing, and possibly ment higher spreads of it.

Times like these really show why "for profit" health care just doesn't work.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
John2290 said:
vivster said:

We, yes including you, live every single day ignoring the suffering in the world. It's human nature because it would be impossible otherwise to live our lives. So don't try to be too uppity about it.

Every single year over 1% of the world population dies, so I'm gonna suggest that we handle it exactly as we handle it every single year. Your big and scary numbers aren't really that big considering that the millions of dead and sick people are being handled by millions of different communities. And then you might say that those dead and sick people are additional to the already dead and sick people and then I'm gonna say that there is a gigantic cross section between the people who died from corona this year and the people who were gonna die from anything else this year. It's also slightly counterbalanced by all the accidents and sickness that are not gonna happen due to people being more careful and hygienic and living a bit healthier.

Nothing about the reaction to this virus is in any way proportional to what it is and to how we handled things in the past, the past being 4 months ago. No one was panicking then that millions of people are gonna die this year.

Tell that crock of absolute shit to the people working in hospitals in the countries which are beginning to see the front end of this or perhaps If you get sick enough to have to go to hospital, tell it to them then for all it matters cause they won't just stop and let you die like you want to let millions die no matter what senseless bullshit that comes out your mouth. It's be great if we could pull hospital equipment, research, staff both trained and tempered out the arses of the people in charge but we can't and there is no point in saying that again down the road should this reach absolute worst case scenarios. They are getting into the best possible position to keep this ahead and away from us with the least amount of damage and that time will never be gotten back if we don't start moving now, should have started moving last week bit with the shit reponse of this to thick headed skulls I'm starting to see why they waited. 

We wouldn't have an overwhelmed health system if this sickness was treated like every other sickness, i.e. we treat the symptoms and don't bind all of our resources to process light cases with the gravity as if it was aids. Just kidding, we don't even treat aids as aggressively as we treat this thing. The resources would be just fine if we ramped up production slightly while calming the public so that they won't steal all the stuff medical personnel needs.

The virus can be handled just fine. The people panicking about it can't and that's where we run into issues. And that's where people like you come in. If you were actually concerned you would demand the exact same treatment and tests of people for every single flu season because it does the same thing. It kills people just because humans don't take it seriously. Where was your concern last year? And where will your concern be once this epidemic is over? Because news flash: people will still be dying of preventable diseases after this is over and you won't give a single shit because newspapers will have stopped telling you so.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
John2290 said:

Tell that crock of absolute shit to the people working in hospitals in the countries which are beginning to see the front end of this or perhaps If you get sick enough to have to go to hospital, tell it to them then for all it matters cause they won't just stop and let you die like you want to let millions die no matter what senseless bullshit that comes out your mouth. It's be great if we could pull hospital equipment, research, staff both trained and tempered out the arses of the people in charge but we can't and there is no point in saying that again down the road should this reach absolute worst case scenarios. They are getting into the best possible position to keep this ahead and away from us with the least amount of damage and that time will never be gotten back if we don't start moving now, should have started moving last week bit with the shit reponse of this to thick headed skulls I'm starting to see why they waited. 

We wouldn't have an overwhelmed health system if this sickness was treated like every other sickness, i.e. we treat the symptoms and don't bind all of our resources to process light cases with the gravity as if it was aids. Just kidding, we don't even treat aids as aggressively as we treat this thing. The resources would be just fine if we ramped up production slightly while calming the public so that they won't steal all the stuff medical personnel needs.

The virus can be handled just fine. The people panicking about it can't and that's where we run into issues. And that's where people like you come in. If you were actually concerned you would demand the exact same treatment and tests of people for every single flu season because it does the same thing. It kills people just because humans don't take it seriously. Where was your concern last year? And where will your concern be once this epidemic is over? Because news flash: people will still be dying of preventable diseases after this is over and you won't give a single shit because newspapers will have stopped telling you so.

Do you not understand why they are attempting to slow the rate at which it spreads?

The problem is if you dont attempt to slow its spread, then you risk a massive quick "spike" of people all contracting it at once.
When that happends, the 15-20% that need to stay in a hospital, overwhelms the staff/rooms/respirators available, ect.

If that happends (too many get sick, all at once), doctors run into situtaions where they have to "pick and choose" who lives and who dies.

"I know this person dies, if he doesnt get a respirator, to help him breathe.
However, we dont have one... or we only have 1 left, but theres 300 others here that all need it." - possible doctor in future.

Thats when the "fun" starts, and deathrates sky rocket.
Doctors get traumas over basically killing patients and get suicidal ect.

The whole system can colapse if its enough of a clusterf***.

This is why they arnt trying to "kill off" the spread, but slow it down, so that the treatment capabilities of the hospitals can follow.
They want as many people that get this virus to survive it.  That happends only if you can keep its spread rate low.

edit:

"The virus can be handled just fine. The people panicking about it can't and that's where we run into issues. And that's where people like you come in. If you were actually concerned you would demand the exact same treatment and tests of people for every single flu season because it does the same thing. It kills people just because humans don't take it seriously. Where was your concern last year? And where will your concern be once this epidemic is over? Because news flash: people will still be dying of preventable diseases after this is over and you won't give a single shit because newspapers will have stopped telling you so." - Vivster

Your compairing it with a normal flu.... and ignoreing that it kills like 40 times more than a normal flu does.
With that, also comes a much higher % of people that need to be hospitalised (really sick) (compaired to a flu).

"the virus can be handled just fine"

Expect it cant, no country could afford to have that many people hospitalised.
No country spends that much on healthcare, or has that many doctors/rooms+beds, and respirators.

Unless your "handled just fine", means letting tons and tons of people die for no good reason.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 March 2020

I do agree that while this is quite contagious, we also shouldn’t act like this is the pneumonic plague. Compared to some other pandemics in history, both fairly recent as well as further away, the current Corona pandemic is still child’s play. That’s not to say we shouldn’t contain this asap.

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:

Do you not understand why they are attempting to slow the rate at which it spreads?

The problem is if you dont attempt to slow its spread, then you risk a massive quick "spike" of people all contracting it at once.
When that happends, the 15-20% that need to stay in a hospital, overwhelms the staff/rooms/respirators available, ect.

If that happends (too many get sick, all at once), doctors run into situtaions where they have to "pick and choose" who lives and who dies.

"I know this person dies, if he doesnt get a respirator, to help him breathe.
However, we dont have one... or we only have 1 left, but theres 300 others here that all need it." - possible doctor in future.

Thats when the "fun" starts, and deathrates sky rocket.
Doctors get traumas over basically killing patients and get suicidal ect.

The whole system can colapse if its enough of a clusterf***.

This is why they arnt trying to "kill off" the spread, but slow it down, so that the treatment capabilities of the hospitals can follow.
They want as many people that get this virus to survive it.  That happends only if you can keep its spread rate low.

edit:

"The virus can be handled just fine. The people panicking about it can't and that's where we run into issues. And that's where people like you come in. If you were actually concerned you would demand the exact same treatment and tests of people for every single flu season because it does the same thing. It kills people just because humans don't take it seriously. Where was your concern last year? And where will your concern be once this epidemic is over? Because news flash: people will still be dying of preventable diseases after this is over and you won't give a single shit because newspapers will have stopped telling you so." - Vivster

Your compairing it with a normal flu.... and ignoreing that it kills like 40 times more than a normal flu does.
With that, comes a much higher % of people that need to be hospitalised (really sick).

"the virus can be handled just fine"

Expect it cant, no country could afford to have that many people hospitalised.
No country spends that much on healthcare, or has that many doctors/rooms+beds, and respirators.

Unless your "handled just fine", means letting tons and tons of people die for no good reason.

I'm not against containment measures. It's perfectly fine to try to stop the spread. What's not fine is wasting energy and resources on light cases and then complain about an overwhelmed healthcare system. With the panic that is going around I can't even be sure that only the most severe cases are hospitalized, because considering the still low number of cases world wide it seems that many people are way overtreated. I wonder how many people are hospitalized that only display symptoms of a regular flu.

I don't really give a flying fuck about the currently reported numbers because it is just common sense that the numbers of cases is in reality much much higher. So how deadly this virus actually is won't even be apparent after most of it is over because the majority of cases remain undetected. Why do they remain undetected? Because as the virus has shown it is particularly weak and most people who have it will never be diagnosed because they never had symptoms. Just look at Italy who tests people postmortem and if they had the virus in their body they're being treated as another victim, no matter if death was actually caused by it. Saying that this strain of virus is 40 times more deadly than the flu is in the best case ignorant and in the worst case dangerous. For all we know it might actually be weaker than the flu.

I'm not trying to marginalize dead people, I'm just seeing them in perspective to regular death rates of people. It kinda hurts to see an overreaction to this event when other health issues that cause way more deaths are being brushed aside. Yep, having 10000 dead people on your hands isn't nice, but it's next to meaningless to the other millions of people who also die from preventable accidents and diseases. It just looks exactly like millions of people mourning over the cute white girl that got hit by a bus while at the same moment thousands of african children starved to death from completely preventable hunger.

If it is possible to slow down and stop the virus even without a vaccine, why is no one doing the exact same thing with other viruses who actually have vaccines? Why is no one concerned about those millions of preventable deaths? What makes this disease so special and those dead people more important than other dead people? Must've been ok to have thousands of flu victims last year, victims that wouldn't have died if we employed the same containment and hygiene measures we do now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

We don't need no stinkin' German vaccine...

US scientists have completed a coronavirus vaccine, Texas-based genetic engineering company claims

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-based-company-a-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate/285-fa6e8ed3-6e5d-4afe-ac77-fbab64c78ee8

vivster said:

I'm not against containment measures. It's perfectly fine to try to stop the spread. What's not fine is wasting energy and resources on light cases and then complain about an overwhelmed healthcare system. With the panic that is going around I can't even be sure that only the most severe cases are hospitalized, because considering the still low number of cases world wide it seems that many people are way overtreated. I wonder how many people are hospitalized that only display symptoms of a regular flu.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Of course only the most severe cases are hospitalized. Most sick people here in Italy are instructed to stay at home and call the doctors only if they feel very sick.

The difference with a normal flu is massive. The population has no antibodies for this virus and we don't have effective drugs yet. These two differences make the Covid-19 several times more dangerous than the average flu. Please stop spreading misinformation and listen to experts. And no, reading some decontextualized data is not a good way to obtain information.

Nighthawk117 said:

US scientists have completed a coronavirus vaccine, Texas-based genetic engineering company claims

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-based-company-a-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate/285-fa6e8ed3-6e5d-4afe-ac77-fbab64c78ee8

Cool, have fun with that in 12 months when the vaccine is ready for public use. What are you gonna do until then?

vivster said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Cool, have fun with that in 12 months when the vaccine is ready for public use. What are you gonna do until then?

Keep getting drunk every night like I do now.

lol my kids is already driving me crazy, I don't know what to do with no one. Day 1 haha.

Motorsports is following soccer, online
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-16-motorsports-big-stars-turned-to-esports-for-their-action-this-past-weekend

Online gaming already feeling the social distancing effects
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-16-xbox-live-struggled-to-cope-with-demand-last-night

Time to bring out the old board games!