By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

CGI-Quality said:
chakkra said:

On the other hand, history has shown us that no developer has ever been able to take full advantage of a console's potential in the first year. Unless you want to tell me that Killzone, Infamous and Knack look as good as GoW.

So no, I don't think it is a matter of choosing. It is a matter of learning over time.

Edit: And yes, I know these are not the same developers, but some developers have actually LITERALLY said that they do learn over time how to take the best advantage of technology, sometimes even using the same engine.

I didn’t give an opinion, that is literally the case. Argue it if you like, but that’s how the science works. A system can always be taken advantage of. Always. That doesn’t mean every developer will (or can - which was never in question to begin with).

The idea that it is impossible is simply incorrect.

Of course it is not impossible. Is just that, since it has never been done before, I do not see any reason to believe that they will just start doing it now. And I'm willing to bet money that Sony's first party games in 2027 will be a lot more impressive than their games released in 2020-21.

Around the Network

Anybody still keeping track of the thread just stick with that narrative. That neither company can make full use at launch, despite the reasons. Don’t take any other bait.

The only complaint users like Goopy can bring up are one of a business perspective, as in cross gen can possibly hurt Series X adoption. But that isn’t a gamers problem but a problem for MSs marketing department.

Otherwise we established both sides are holding back on launch potential, only difference one is making cross gen and the other isn’t.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Not this again lol... But Yes, Infamous SS was a true next gen game and DF even called it a "next-gen masterclass". Here's what they said said about it at the time. 

"Open-world games have become increasingly popular over the course of the last decade, but it had become clear that many games were simply being limited by outdated hardware. Second Son deftly illustrates the benefits of moving to a new console platform by eliminating so many of the problems that have plagued the genre on older consoles. With such a solid foundation to build from, the potential for new inFamous sequel is mouthwatering.

While Second Son doesn't hit every mark, we can't ignore the fact that Sucker Punch was able to deliver such a polished, technically accomplished title so early in the life cycle of PlayStation 4. Even with its faults, it feels like the type of game one might expect only after a solid year or two as opposed to just a few months into the system's lifecycle. Such an effort certainly reserves a spot for Sucker Punch around the table of upper tier of internal studios and with the bar set so high so early, we can't wait to see what Sony's Worldwide Studios come up with next."

So yeah, while the gameplay didn't quite match the tech behind the game, it was still a huge leap over what we seen before. Now, maybe you're right and we will get a bunch of games that are glorified tech demos on the ps5. But it can also be that they are actually good games, especially if you look how Sony's been hitting it out of the park with their exclusives this gen. We don't know anything for sure, except that MS isn't even trying to make a game that removes the shackles of current gen hardware.

A couple of things here. Most importantly, why are you now referencing DF? You yourself said Infamous from a design stand point didn’t really set itself apart from the previous gen. Now you’re trying to shoehorn a DF article into it. Kind of like you began this thread trying to argue that MS wouldn’t have “true next gen” games on XSX for 3-5 years even though they said one year max and when everyone corrected you you’re now going on about MS ambition and focus and ideology and other unsubstantiated nonsense so that you can try to convince us that MS is literally abandoning high powered video games. Just as they’re releasing a high powered console, of course.

Secondly, did you even read the DF article you’re quoting? The title of it literally says “next gen looks, last gen thinking”. It goes on multiple times to talk about how outside of visuals, the game hasn’t evolved from a previous gen open world title. The exact same thing you’re complaining that Xbox games are supposedly going to have happening. Hey you were not only content with Infamous but you considered it a “true next gen title”. 

Your own DF reference proves me right and showcases your bias and double standard.

I never said Infamous SS didn't do anything special from a design/ tech stand point, I just said the gameplay might not have been the best compared to something like GTA5, for example. And I referenced DF because you will never believe my word for it lol. 

Sure, we can argue if Shadowfall and Infamous SS were good games. But hell, those franchises were never that great to begin with. However, you can't argue that they set a new graphical standard by taking advantage of the ps4 hardware and were nothing like the games we had on the ps3. That's a big difference with a game that's designed to run and look great on Xone and has an upscaled "plus-plus-plus" version on the Series X.

While not a launch game, The Order 1886 did really showcase what the ps4 could do early on in the console cycle. So the whole "developers never take advantage of the hardware in the first 2 years" is utter nonsense. It's just a question if the gameplay will also be good this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl75khYygJM  

CGI-Quality said:
chakkra said:

Of course it is not impossible. Is just that, since it has never been done before, I do not see any reason to believe that they will just start doing it now. And I'm willing to bet money that Sony's first party games in 2027 will be a lot more impressive than their games released in 2020-21.

I was arguing against the idea that it was impossible. Of course their 2021 games won’t look like their 2027 games, but that was not the argument to begin with. 

Oh, my apologies, since you said, "a company can take as much advantage of a platform they created as possible. They know the ins and outs better than anyone. Whether they CHOOSE to or not is another matter" I took it as if it was their choice to release games in their first years not as impressive as their games in their later years.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

A couple of things here. Most importantly, why are you now referencing DF? You yourself said Infamous from a design stand point didn’t really set itself apart from the previous gen. Now you’re trying to shoehorn a DF article into it. Kind of like you began this thread trying to argue that MS wouldn’t have “true next gen” games on XSX for 3-5 years even though they said one year max and when everyone corrected you you’re now going on about MS ambition and focus and ideology and other unsubstantiated nonsense so that you can try to convince us that MS is literally abandoning high powered video games. Just as they’re releasing a high powered console, of course.

Secondly, did you even read the DF article you’re quoting? The title of it literally says “next gen looks, last gen thinking”. It goes on multiple times to talk about how outside of visuals, the game hasn’t evolved from a previous gen open world title. The exact same thing you’re complaining that Xbox games are supposedly going to have happening. Hey you were not only content with Infamous but you considered it a “true next gen title”. 

Your own DF reference proves me right and showcases your bias and double standard.

I never said Infamous SS didn't do anything special from a design/ tech stand point, I just said the gameplay might not have been the best compared to something like GTA5, for example. And I referenced DF because you will never believe my word for it lol. 

Sure, we can argue if Shadowfall and Infamous SS were good games. But hell, those franchises were never that great to begin with. However, you can't argue that they set a new graphical standard by taking advantage of the ps4 hardware and were nothing like the games we had on the ps3. That's a big difference with a game that's designed to run and look great on Xone and has an upscaled "plus-plus-plus" version on the Series X.

While not a launch game, The Order 1886 did really showcase what the ps4 could do early on in the console cycle. So the whole "developers never take advantage of the hardware in the first 2 years" is utter nonsense. It's just a question if the gameplay will also be good this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl75khYygJM  

Killzone and Infamous were both good looking titles that didn’t play like anything new. That’s what launch window games typically are. That’s what we’re going to see on PS5 and XSX. Games that play like what were already playing but look much better. So again you seem to be able to grasp this, but somehow in the case of the XSX games, it’s a huge deal breaker. 

The Order isn’t even a game, it’s a tech demo. Graphically it looks good, gameplay wise it’s trash. Idk why you continue to bring up these titles that only prove our point. Could it be that there are no recent launch titles that actually blew us away from a graphics and design standpoint? Gotta wonder why you’re holding Microsoft to this high standard yet you prove again and again that you’re fine with “next gen looks, last gen thinking” as long as they are PlayStation launch games 🤦‍♂️

Around the Network
chakkra said:
goopy20 said:

Well yeah, for me it was worth it. I bought a LG Oled recently and I'm glad we have this mid-gen options for those who want that little bit of extra. But they are niche products. I mean I don't know how many X1X's or ps4 pro's were sold, but I'm guessing it's only a fraction of the base console install base. So while I'm perfectly happy with my ps4 pro, I can also understand that the bump in resolution/fps wasn't enough reason to upgrade for the vast majority. 

I think we can both agree that 8x more power is a tad more enticing than 2.5x more power. I mean, what do you really think it will happen when X1 players face themselves with the options to play Halo 6, NextCOD and GTA6 at 720p with lower settings against 4K with higher settings?

Heck, just for the sake of argument let's pretend for a second that Sony is following the same strategy as MS; do you really believe that base PS4 players will be content with playing NextCOD and GTA6 at 900p with lower settings instead of 4K with higher settings?

Microsofts problem is that those kind of players will instead build a gaming PC.

I am willing to bet that xbox series X sales will be low, and I continue to say, not having console exclusives will hurt xbox sales, example, if you have a powerful PC, you do not need an xbox, you might just upgrade your graphics card, but ps5 will be in demand even for PC gamers, because of the exclusives such as uncharted, last of us, god of war, GT7, horizon 2, etc, all ps4 games will run on ps5, so that's a lot of value for a PC gamer, which might have gone for an xbox for Halo, forza 8 and gears 5.

Furthermore, Microsoft exclusives will be playable on current gen consoles, so, people with an xbox X will not see a reason to upgrade just yet, and people with the base xbox might just go for the xbox X on blackfriday sales, as its close enough graphics wise and half the price.

Microsoft is not thinking this through, if they want to sell consoles next gen, then their approach is wrong, but we all know that they don't care, they just want customers for their services.

When horizon 2 and gt7 launches with next gen graphics and ONLY PLAYABLE ON PS5 then that's a good incentive to make people upgrade.

Fortunately I can have both, because I already payed off my house and car, and a months savings is around 1500dollars after tax and groceries, bills, so I can buy both on launch day with a few games, the question is, do I really need an xbox series X when I already have an X which runs games beautifully with my elite controler, Microsoft will need to convince me. On the other hand, ps5 is day one without even knowing the specs or looks, because it will have gt7 exclusively for it, that's more than reason enough for me to upgrade day one.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 18 February 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Killzone and Infamous were both good looking titles that didn’t play like anything new. That’s what launch window games typically are. That’s what we’re going to see on PS5 and XSX. Games that play like what were already playing but look much better. So again you seem to be able to grasp this, but somehow in the case of the XSX games, it’s a huge deal breaker. 

The Order isn’t even a game, it’s a tech demo. Graphically it looks good, gameplay wise it’s trash. Idk why you continue to bring up these titles that only prove our point. Could it be that there are no recent launch titles that actually blew us away from a graphics and design standpoint? Gotta wonder why you’re holding Microsoft to this high standard yet you prove again and again that you’re fine with “next gen looks, last gen thinking” as long as they are PlayStation launch games 🤦‍♂️

I already said that amazing next gen graphics don't always make for a better game. If anything we've seen games in the past that go a bit overboard in the tech department at the expense of gameplay. But it's not about whether you or me think they will be great games, it's about how the masses will look at both consoles and which one they're going to buy. All I'm saying is that MS is shooting themselves in the foot by launching the most powerful, most expensive console and have nothing to truly showcase it. At least if their goal would be to build a decent Series X install base. 

Who knows, maybe it will be the same thing next gen. Maybe the ps5 exclusives will be glorified tech-demos because developers are still wrapping their brain around Ray Tracing, for example. But at the very least they will give a glimpse of things to come and get people excited for next gen. It simply depends on the talent of the developers and which ip's will come out early. Like I said, Infamous and Killzone were never great games to begin with, but you have to admit that Sony's been on a roll with their exclusives and they moved away from most of their weaker ip's. Also, if Sony's been working on ps5 exclusives for years now, they don't have to release them at launch. They just have to show glimpses of that new SM, ND game, HZD2, Spiderman 2 etc. during the reveal, announce some early release date, and they've already won over the hearts of the core console gamers.  

Also, this is not about what Sony will do because they will do what they've always been doing. It's about what MS is doing. And they will be on stage at E3 talking about 4 billion players playing on different devices and how they want to put the player in the center, not the devices (Series X). They will show a ton of Halo Infinite, which will probably be amazing, but it will look like a remastered current gen game. But hey, you can still play it on a Xone with all your friends and there's no need to upgrade. Then they will announce a launch price of $599 or more for the Series X and people will be scratching their head as they're waiting for MS to remind them again why they need to buy it.

I'm expecting one of the most confusing console launches since MS had circus clowns and 5-year-old's, painting elephant asses, on stage with Kinect. Because MS has a completely different strategy this gen and it's not about building an installbase for the Series X and compete with Sony. It's about Xbox being a service platform, where the Series X is more of an optional niche product for people who want that "plus-plus-plus".

Last edited by goopy20 - on 19 February 2020

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I already said that amazing next gen graphics don't always make for a better game. If anything we've seen games in the past that go a bit overboard in the tech department at the expense of gameplay. But it's not about whether you or me think they will be great games, it's about how the masses will look at both consoles and which one they're going to buy. All I'm saying is that MS is shooting themselves in the foot by launching the most powerful, most expensive console and have nothing to truly showcase it. At least if their goal would be to build a decent Series X install base. 

Who knows, maybe it will be the same thing next gen. Maybe the ps5 exclusives will be glorified tech-demos because developers are still wrapping their brain around Ray Tracing, for example. But at the very least they will give a glimpse of things to come and get people excited for next gen. It simply depends on the talent of the developers and which ip's will come out early. Like I said, Infamous and Killzone were never great games to begin with, but you have to admit that Sony's been on a roll with their exclusives and they moved away from most of their weaker ip's. Also, if Sony's been working on ps5 exclusives for years now, they don't have to release them at launch. They just have to show glimpses of that new SM, ND game, HZD2, Spiderman 2 etc. during the reveal, announce some early release date, and they've already won over the hearts of the core console gamers.  

Also, this is not about what Sony will do because they will do what they've always been doing. It's about what MS is doing. And they will be on stage at E3 talking about 4 billion players playing on different devices and how they want to put the player in the center, not the devices (Series X). They will show a ton of Halo Infinite, which will probably be amazing, but it will look like a remastered current gen game. But hey, you can still play it on a Xone with all your friends and there's no need to upgrade. Then they will announce a launch price of $599 or more for the Series X and people will be scratching their head as they're waiting for MS to remind them again why they need to buy it.

I'm expecting one of the most confusing console launches since MS had circus clowns and 5-year-old's, painting elephant asses, on stage with Kinect. Because MS has a completely different strategy this gen and it's not about building an installbase for the Series X and compete with Sony. It's about Xbox being a service platform, where the Series X is more of an optional niche product for people who want that "plus-plus-plus".

Hardware launches are for the hardcore gamer. You think Joe Gamer is going to drop the $500 on PS5 OR XSX at launch? Not a vast majority. And the ones that do will do so for prettier versions of Madden and CoD and other third party stuff, which if you’re saying XSX will be the most powerful.. I guess those games will look best on XSX?

You said before that XSX won’t launch with any true next gen games yet you labeled Infamous a true next gen game when it suffers from the same “problems” you say XSX games will suffer from. So you either don’t really believe any of this nonsense you’re saying or it only applies to non-Sony games. Which is it?

Radek said:

No one is arguing that launch games will push consoles to it's limits like late gen games, BUT you can't deny PS5 not being held back by PS4 will come closer to hardware limits with it's Launch games compared to Xbox.

And consumers will take notice of that when debating which brand new console to buy this Holiday season.

I’d argue that seeing XB1 vs Series X comparisons from Digital foundry will go a long way to make people see the next gen difference. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

victor83fernandes said:
chakkra said:

I think we can both agree that 8x more power is a tad more enticing than 2.5x more power. I mean, what do you really think it will happen when X1 players face themselves with the options to play Halo 6, NextCOD and GTA6 at 720p with lower settings against 4K with higher settings?

Heck, just for the sake of argument let's pretend for a second that Sony is following the same strategy as MS; do you really believe that base PS4 players will be content with playing NextCOD and GTA6 at 900p with lower settings instead of 4K with higher settings?

Microsofts problem is that those kind of players will instead build a gaming PC.

I am willing to bet that xbox series X sales will be low, and I continue to say, not having console exclusives will hurt xbox sales, example, if you have a powerful PC, you do not need an xbox, you might just upgrade your graphics card, but ps5 will be in demand even for PC gamers, because of the exclusives such as uncharted, last of us, god of war, GT7, horizon 2, etc, all ps4 games will run on ps5, so that's a lot of value for a PC gamer, which might have gone for an xbox for Halo, forza 8 and gears 5.

Furthermore, Microsoft exclusives will be playable on current gen consoles, so, people with an xbox X will not see a reason to upgrade just yet, and people with the base xbox might just go for the xbox X on blackfriday sales, as its close enough graphics wise and half the price.

Microsoft is not thinking this through, if they want to sell consoles next gen, then their approach is wrong, but we all know that they don't care, they just want customers for their services.

When horizon 2 and gt7 launches with next gen graphics and ONLY PLAYABLE ON PS5 then that's a good incentive to make people upgrade.

Fortunately I can have both, because I already payed off my house and car, and a months savings is around 1500dollars after tax and groceries, bills, so I can buy both on launch day with a few games, the question is, do I really need an xbox series X when I already have an X which runs games beautifully with my elite controler, Microsoft will need to convince me. On the other hand, ps5 is day one without even knowing the specs or looks, because it will have gt7 exclusively for it, that's more than reason enough for me to upgrade day one.

You assume people would build a gaming PC over just getting the Series X out of convenience. Gaming consoles are focused in purpose but a gaming Pc for the same specs will run you at least $1000. 

You act like having cross gen exclusives reduces the appeal....maybe in the sense Xbox gamers will choose between Xbox’s in the xbox ecosystem. Or PC gamers will stick to Pc (and didn’t want a Xbox anyway) and will buy Xbox games via Pc....that’s kinda MSs point with choice and options to game how you want. 

End of the day it comes down to console gamers on the fence between Xbox and PS. Is Halo Infinite on PS5? No....being cross gen has nothing to do with that basic question. Will Xbox exclusives be on PS? No. 

Early adopters are core gamers. They would want the series X because it’s the best version of the games they want. Who would settle for the poor mans version if they are used to having power? I’d say the majority of Xbox X owners will upgrade within the first year....because power matters to them. Otherwise they would have stuck it out with the S. 

As a side note....why mention GT7? The franchise is a shadow of its former glory. Can’t hit the 80s on metacritic and Forza 8 is practically guaranteed as a launch title. If gamers want their console sim fix, Forza took that crown a loooong time ago. 

But here’s the real takeaway: More players >>>>> more consoles sold