By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

thismeintiel said:

And the ports for Switch usually come months/years after the original games when we are talking AAA games.  They have the time and resources to fine tune the game to work on the Switch.  The games we are talking about are, more than likely, going to be launching the exact same week.  They won't be given that extra time, especially with the game every quarter MS is aiming for.  Again, look at the cross-gen games that launched this gen.

Also, the Switch is a pretty capable HH, especially when docked.  The CPU is pretty capable when compared to the PS4/XBO, as the Jaguar cores aren't anything special.  And the GPU in the XBO is probably something like 3x the power of the Switch's.  When talking XBO vs XBSX, we're talking about a huge leap.  The Ryzen cores offer a gigantic leap over the Jaguar ones.  And the GPU has already been stated to be more than 8x the power of the one in the XBO.  Simply scaling things down isn't going to be an easy task.  Maybe even impossible.  That's why cross-gen usually start with the lowest common denominator, unless built by a completely different team.

Here you are assuming that main development team will be targeting the lowest common denominator and handle the port themselves. The Microsoft studios will make their games targeting the Xbox Series X and support studios will handle porting it to the older consoles. It would be a waste of resource to have Microsoft studios developing game for every specs. When Microsoft can have the same out sourcing studios handle all the ports from it's many first party studios. 

You actually think CD project red ported Witcher 3 to the switch? Told their main Dev to stop development on Cyberpunk 2077 to handle the Switch port?

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Yeah I don’t really get this. Are these supposed to prove something relevant to this thread? Imagine if someone bookmarked every thread where someone downplayed MS or trashed their vision or intent or a new policy. “Binders and binders of threads” to paraphrase a former Presidential candidate 😆

I showed how they relate. Of course you don't see it, despite the fact you posted in the threads I linked, downplaying.

You didn’t show how they related at all. Furthermore, you clearly have a wildly false idea of what downplaying is. Discussing a topic isn’t downplaying anything. 

One of those threads is about Sony buying timed exclusives. It’s downplaying for me to say they will and that MS probably will, too? Your post in that thread was basically “guys like, Sony will buy third party stuff and their first party like totally is better than MS and Nintendo”. 

Another thread is about how Sony won the gen being boring. I said that idk if it was boring but certainly safe, that’s downplaying? Should I have made a post like yours which was basically “like Sony is totally going to dominate the gen, like they’ve done it three times already and will totally do it again”.

Maybe I have those two threads mixed up regarding your responses but yeah, your posts in those threads read like PR. Meanwhile having honest discussion about it is downplaying? LOL

Again, we didn’t make any big deal when Zelda was cross gen. Why would we care about Horizon? 

yvanjean said:
thismeintiel said:

Not sure what that has to do with devs being held back by being forced to make sure the game runs on outdated Jaguar cores.  TLOU2 and GOT were already being made with PS4 in mind.  It's not like they had a next gen game on PS5 and Sony forced them to make sure it could run on PS4, which is what MS is making them do. 

You are aware that it doesn't have to be the main team that port the game to older consoles and porting the game to older console can all be out source. Also, If devs support older consoles they will be able to sell much more of their game at the same price regardless of which console. So, I don't think any development studios would complain about making their game available to more potential buyers. The switch from one generation to another is actually pretty disruptive for development studios where you go from a very large install base to much smaller one. Especially for 3rd party studios that need to carve an audience for their game. 

This is reverse Xbox one X issue, where every one believed that no devs would scale their game to Xbox one X settings since PS4/PS4 Pro is the market leader. But, they were wrong all of the game this gen played best on Xbox one X and most game where enhanced for the Xbox one X. 

Microsoft plan is to give consumer the option to play at 720P-900P on (OG Xbox), 1080p-4k (XBox one X) or 4K/60fps (Xbox Series X) in the next two years. If you simply don't have the money to upgrade to next gen consoles or kid that parents don't want to pay for a next gen consoles. There, going to be so many people still buying on the older consoles for the next two years. No one left behind is actually a consumer friendly move going forward. Beside if the rumors are to be believe all of the next gen games will be run and look best on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X will set the benchmark for next games for both 1st & 3rd Parties games. 

Nailed it. I remember how third parties were not going to bother with optimizing games for Scorpio because of the user base and supposed difficulty and cost. Turns out people were dead wrong and the work was already being done for PC, as it has always been done. 

I just think it’s hilarious that now because MS is supporting Xbone at XSX launch or for one year after, XSX will miss out on all of these incredible, industry defining launch titles simply not possible on older hardware. Oh but these same people will say MS has little to no developer talent and only bought small, “plucky” studios. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
yvanjean said:

You are aware that it doesn't have to be the main team that port the game to older consoles and porting the game to older console can all be out source. Also, If devs support older consoles they will be able to sell much more of their game at the same price regardless of which console. So, I don't think any development studios would complain about making their game available to more potential buyers. The switch from one generation to another is actually pretty disruptive for development studios where you go from a very large install base to much smaller one. Especially for 3rd party studios that need to carve an audience for their game. 

This is reverse Xbox one X issue, where every one believed that no devs would scale their game to Xbox one X settings since PS4/PS4 Pro is the market leader. But, they were wrong all of the game this gen played best on Xbox one X and most game where enhanced for the Xbox one X. 

Microsoft plan is to give consumer the option to play at 720P-900P on (OG Xbox), 1080p-4k (XBox one X) or 4K/60fps (Xbox Series X) in the next two years. If you simply don't have the money to upgrade to next gen consoles or kid that parents don't want to pay for a next gen consoles. There, going to be so many people still buying on the older consoles for the next two years. No one left behind is actually a consumer friendly move going forward. Beside if the rumors are to be believe all of the next gen games will be run and look best on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X will set the benchmark for next games for both 1st & 3rd Parties games. 

Nailed it. I remember how third parties were not going to bother with optimizing games for Scorpio because of the user base and supposed difficulty and cost. Turns out people were dead wrong and the work was already being done for PC, as it has always been done. 

I just think it’s hilarious that now because MS is supporting Xbone at XSX launch or for one year after, XSX will miss out on all of these incredible, industry defining launch titles simply not possible on older hardware. Oh but these same people will say MS has little to no developer talent and only bought small, “plucky” studios. 

Not to mention more game sales = more games from MS which is what they need in order to encourage their stakeholders to make more video games.

LudicrousSpeed said:
yvanjean said:

Xbone X and ps4 pro enhanced games are a bit different, though. And those consoles were never pushed to its fullest potential. If someone decided to make a X1X or ps4 pro exclusive, I'm sure it would look a hell of a lot better than an "enhanced" game. Those games are basically like remasters where you get the exact same game, except with a higher fps and resolution. Now, what do you think looks better? TLOU remastered for ps4 running in 60fps and 4k, or TLOU2 build from the ground up for ps4 and optimized to run at 30fps? Isn't it obvious that they can do a lot of things in TLOU2 with the core game design, that simply wouldn't be possible if it still had to run on a ps3? 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Xbone X and ps4 pro enhanced games are a bit different, though. And those consoles were never pushed to its fullest potential. If someone decided to make a X1X or ps4 pro exclusive, I'm sure it would look a hell of a lot better than an "enhanced" game. Those games are basically like remasters where you get the exact same game, except with a higher fps and resolution. Now, what do you think looks better? TLOU remastered for ps4 running in 60fps and 4k, or TLOU2 build from the ground up for ps4 and optimized to run at 30fps? Isn't it obvious that they can do a lot of things in TLOU2 with the core game design, that simply wouldn't be possible if it still had to run on a ps3? 

Nah you get faster load times, better textures, other graphical features not available on older hardware as well. As far as whether they can do things in LoU2 that simply weren’t possible last gen, idk? Games not out yet. 

Also you’re comparing what will be launch XSX titles with a game literally launching the same year PS5 will launch. No one is claiming that there won’t be XSX titles in say, 2026, that aren’t possible on Xbox One. 

But what if LoU2 launched in 2013/2014? Would it have featured cutting edge gameplay elements not possible on previous hardware? Considering we got Uncharted 4 in 2016 and it didn’t, I’d say no.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Huge difference between Enhanced games and full consoles optimization. Halo Infinite and next Forza game aren't enhanced for the XSX, these game will simply be ported and available on older consoles. Halo & Forza team have known the final specs for XSX for a long time and these two games will be the center piece of showcasing what XSX can do. Let assume the 12 TF XSX and 9.2 TF PS5 rumors are true resulting in 30% increase power. Even if these game don't take advantage of XSX full consoles optimization, the game will still be way better then last gen and anything that could of been done on PS5 with 30% less power. 

Just look at optimization done for the Xbox one X, once you give the development team a chance to show what their game can do on better hardware they will push the new hardware in order to better showcase their game. Hence, why almost every game on Xbox one X received a patch to take advantage of the Xbox one X new hardware and not simply console enhanced. 

You really think that Microsoft first party studios are building next gen games to the specs of the OG Xbox and these games will be system enhanced by the XSX. Just look at the demo of Hellblade 2, the game is built for taking full advantage of XSX. Yet, it will be ported to the older consoles. 

Here is what you guys are missing Sony next gen games aren't coming to PS4 and PS4 Pro not due to hardware limitation but because Sony wants to push sell of PS5 hardware. 

LudicrousSpeed said:

You didn’t show how they related at all. Furthermore, you clearly have a wildly false idea of what downplaying is. Discussing a topic isn’t downplaying anything. 

One of those threads is about Sony buying timed exclusives. It’s downplaying for me to say they will and that MS probably will, too? Your post in that thread was basically “guys like, Sony will buy third party stuff and their first party like totally is better than MS and Nintendo”. 

Another thread is about how Sony won the gen being boring. I said that idk if it was boring but certainly safe, that’s downplaying? Should I have made a post like yours which was basically “like Sony is totally going to dominate the gen, like they’ve done it three times already and will totally do it again”.

Maybe I have those two threads mixed up regarding your responses but yeah, your posts in those threads read like PR. Meanwhile having honest discussion about it is downplaying? LOL

Again, we didn’t make any big deal when Zelda was cross gen. Why would we care about Horizon? 

In the thread about Sony focusing on hardcore gamers, the third post is an anti - consumer Sony, the second page we get arrogant Sony, on the third page you suggest Sony is going to stop focusing on indies/AA (where you take a shot at the PS fanbase too), followed by another post insinuating SIE titles are weak because of third party money hatting, with another post about how Sony is sad and pathetic at the same time, with some more anti consumer posts, all downplaying Sony's supposed approach to the PS5. 

Regarding the thread about Sony winning the gen, thinking they won by having a "boring" console is one thing, attributing their success to their competitors failures is absolutely downplaying. We weren't the only ones posting in that thread so I have no idea why you're ignoring every other post. 

Looking at your post history, we can see a trend of pessimistic takes for SIE games/ Japanese titles, but this trend doesn't exist with you and Nintendo and their Japanese titles. I wouldn't even be surprised to see you take a shot at a Sony game in a Nintendo thread. So its hard to believe you wouldn't downplay a gimped Horizon sequel. Also, just look at the thread about cross play. If positive Sony news is downplayed then you can expect negative Sony news to be even worse. 

The marketing message from Microsoft for next gen:

In the past when you switch to the next gen Consoles, all your friend that aren't able to make the switch or aren't ready to make the switch get left behind.

That will no longer be the case with Microsoft Xbox, at the start of next generation you get to decide how and when you want to switch with Xbox cross-Gen play, Microsoft Xcloud, Xbox Series S (1080p Next-gen console) or you can decide to upgrade to the fastest, most powerful consoles ever made Xbox Series X.

Last edited by yvanjean - on 12 January 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Nah you get faster load times, better textures, other graphical features not available on older hardware as well. As far as whether they can do things in LoU2 that simply weren’t possible last gen, idk? Games not out yet. 

Also you’re comparing what will be launch XSX titles with a game literally launching the same year PS5 will launch. No one is claiming that there won’t be XSX titles in say, 2026, that aren’t possible on Xbox One. 

But what if LoU2 launched in 2013/2014? Would it have featured cutting edge gameplay elements not possible on previous hardware? Considering we got Uncharted 4 in 2016 and it didn’t, I’d say no.

Uncharted 4 did a lot of things they couldn't do on ps3 and not just better textures and resolution. It had bigger and more complex level design with open world segments for example and way more complicated set pieces.