By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:
Machiavellian said:

My thing with the new service is how long until their first party games make it to the service.  One year would be great, 2 years and its basically PS Now with no big change.  Will Sony actually put in more money for day one 3rd party release, we will see.  They could have done that a long time ago.  Right now, it appears that Sony is trying to improve subs for Now by adding Plus, this may work but it will depend on the games offered.

Returnal will be just over a year old by the time the service releases, but I have a feeling it'll be closer to 2 years for most first party games. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart will be exactly a year old by that time, but that hasn't been announced as coming to the service. Unless Sony surprises us with a bomb like that out of nowhere.

Even then, waiting just a year may cause a lot of potential purchasers of Sony games to think "why buy it for $70 now when I can just wait a year?" 

Yeah, that would be me.  There are plenty of PS customers that cannot wait that long but in order for the new service to really be viable, 2 years is just to long.  If they truly want the service to kick off right, they are going to have to compromise somewhere.  Just adding plus is probably not going to get plus users to commit unless there is a little more meat.

Around the Network

Finished playing Halo 2 Anniversary! Playing Halo 3 next! :D

You're smashing through the Halo games.

ironmanDX said:

You're smashing through the Halo games.

Yeah, they're a lot of fun!

SegaHeart said:

Struggle is real, activision greedy 

I wish loot boxes were never a thing in gaming.

Around the Network

I agree too.

I have no opposition against cosmetic dlc but yeah... Loot boxes and pay 2 win stuff I wish hadn't been invented.

VersusEvil said:

Mr.GameCrazy approaching my favourite with Halo ODST. God I wish I could experience it for the first time again. Also approaching the end of the iconic Halo games. I really feel the biggest thing 343s Halo' lacked was rememberable levels, everyone remembers levels from H1-3 but can anybody say they honestly remember levels from 4-5? Heck as great as Infinite is I can't even recall a single level from that game.

Can't say I particularly agree. Halo CE has the most memorable levels, because it established the Halo formula, and after that, the levels throughout the franchise have mostly just maintained that formula. Halo 2 threw a scarab into a level for the first time, so that was memorable, and the first time you play as Arbiter is obviously quite memorable, but not because the level itself is remarkable. Halo 3 is mostly a structural retread of CE. ODST is obviously structured very differently with you navigating the city between actual levels, but in terms of said levels, it might be the least memorable. At least I don't remember a single actual mission from that game. Reach's level design is kinda all over the place. You got some vast open spaces with not too much happening, and then all of a sudden you're in tightly structured multiplayer arenas.

I think what you might really mean when you say that 343's Halo games have the most memorable levels, is that they have the most memorable set pieces, and cutscenes, which I think is mostly true. Halo 4 and Infinite both had some great storytelling and cutscenes, but neither really had a "wow" set piece moment. Though Infinite did deliver quite a few wow moments in the open world, at least for me. Halo 5 sucks. I literally don't even replay it.

Yeah, Halo levels lately are a bunch of rocks and chrome buildings. Iconic levels/locations are 343's biggest weakness as far as im concerned.

Those are back to back Lead Area Designers hirings for Obsidian. What does that kind of position mean? I initially interpret it as a game being early in production and these guys design the landscape you're gonna traverse in the game.

Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Those are back to back Lead Area Designers hirings for Obsidian. What does that kind of position mean? I initially interpret it as a game being early in production and these guys design the landscape you're gonna traverse in the game.

• Lead and manage a team of designers to create fun, compelling quest and area content
  • Work with Region Directors and coordinate the work of your designers to create a cohesive open-world experience
  • Setting and unifying layout and building standards for area content while also making sure the team follows quest and content/gameplay standards
  • Make independent creative decisions that level-up ideas laid out by the game director and/or other department leads
  • Design and implement quest and area content with minimal director oversight
  • Foster a culture of collaboration between all the developers required to bring our area content to life

From Obsidian's job posting.

Sounds like it's mostly related to designing content/quests inside of the established area.

The other designer wasn't a lead though, just a "area designer" so he'll work under this lead.

Hmm, I wonder if this will be tied to Outer Worlds 2? If it's Avowed, the job posting makes it seem like the game is still in the middle of development and not less than a year away from release.