By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
coolbeans said:

Techland and its ~300 employees?  I'm still not buying it.  Yes, @Angelus...even if Phil says pretty please.  :P

~300 employees and 3 studios...

Also do they own the Dying Light IP?

Techland acquisition would probably be in the hundreds of millions...

Yes they own the IP, Also Dying Light 2 is published by their own label so no contractual commitments to put on other platforms would make it interesting, I still think they are to big at close to 400 and is unlikely.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
coolbeans said:

Techland and its ~300 employees?  I'm still not buying it.  Yes, @Angelus...even if Phil says pretty please.  :P

I think it's possible. Very few indie AAA studios left these days. Out of those that are left, CD Projekt is too big and expensive to buy, MS doesn't really need Crytek because their 1st party studios are almost all using Unreal (the main reason to buy Crytek would be for the Cry Engine), Remedy doesn't want to be bought, Sumo is too big and expensive (and MS already has good 2nd party connections with them anyway, making buying them kind of pointless), Certain Affinity is partially owned by Chinese company Leyou so MS would have to buy out Leyou 20% share which could get pricey. 

Techland is one of the few AAA studios left that MS could acquire, and I do think that MS wants at least 1 more AAA 1st party studio, considering they plan to release 4 AAA games per year eventually. 

Techland should have 2 AAA teams in there with the other project been a AAA Fantasy RPG last we heard.

coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

-Lastly, he says that Microsoft has 2 studio acquisitions for the May event, Techland and a Japanese studio, though he isn't sure which one.

Don't be such a cheapskate 

Huh, Techland responsible for Dying Light, Dead Island, Farming Simulator and Call of Juarez.

A little too much zombie for my tastes, but so long as zombies are meta it’s good news for MS. And none of these are mega popular IPs which would make the purchase price more open to negotiations.

If this is true, make Dying Light 2 a exclusive. Hit em where it hurts for making us wait a year for FF7 ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

trunkswd said:
When it comes to acquiring a Japanese studio, I'd say SEGA would be a nice acquisition and would probably be the biggest company they could acquire out of Japan. Microsoft and SEGA have had a close relationship since the Dreamcast days.

A rumor floating around. Soooo many IPs that can boost Game Pass and the brand in general. Now I don’t think they will buy Sega outright. They have many business interests beyond gaming (apparently they own resorts). I think whatever agreement they reach will retain Sega as a independently owned company, but that their gaming talents will only make games for Xbox and PC. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
sales2099 said:

Don't tease me like this. This can't be real. Or is it?  

It was posted on a Sega related twitter and deleted 2 weeks ago. Grain of salt and all that. But I look at their stock price and it’s sooooo deliciously low :)

Techland don't have anything to do with farming Simulator that one is publishes by Focus Home Interactive.

trunkswd said:
sales2099 said:

It was posted on a Sega related twitter and deleted 2 weeks ago. Grain of salt and all that. But I look at their stock price and it’s sooooo deliciously low :)

Even if it isn't an acquisition a partnership would do wonders. Imagine if ALL SEGA games came to Game Pass on day one. 

That’s my theory. Not buy the company, but purely a partnership for console exclusivity or what you said. 

Ryuu96 said:
I could see some Microsoft & Sega partnerships happening next gen, Idk in what form but they've been pretty friendly with each other mid-end of this gen and worked together quite a bit; Halo Wars 2, Age of Empires IV, Xbox helping to bring Phantasy Star over to the West.

Now we finally have Yakuza...I imagine Shenmue 3 will come eventually, Sega is probably the closest friend Microsoft has in Japan in terms of publishers...Which isn't saying much...But we take what we can get.

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like, Panzer Dragoon exclusive.

It's only come to NA which is another thing by SEGA to add to their list of dumb business decisions.

I do like the sound of that Perfect Dark concept. Having your missions cross paths with other agents who are there on various objectives of their own, leading to sometimes competing, sometimes maybe teaming up, etc. That could make for a very engaging gameplay experience long past any potential story.