By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

setsunatenshi said:
HollyGamer said:

we suspect they will both be in a similar architecture, yes, but even that is not confirmed.

but even so, increased efficiency in IPC means the real world performance gap would be higher than the already brutal 30 or so % difference you're measuring against in the previous gen

having said this, i still refuse to take these rumors as any type of confirmation, i personally don't believe there will be such a performance gap between the 2 consoles

Brutal is Dreamcast to Xbox, or Saturn to the N64. This is literally going to be the two most similar consoles ever released. More than the XB1 compared to the PS4, or the PS4 Pro compared to the XB1X. More even than the Wii next to the GameCube.

I doubt there would even be anything different in game development until it comes to optimizations.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Hynad said:

Seriously, quit the biased spins.

If those specs are legitimate, the gap is quite a big one and you’d be a fool to think that the difference won’t be perceptible. 

This is basically a 3TF gap between both consoles. Based on the entire gaming history, such a difference has always been noticeable. There’s no reason to think that things will magically (or “secret-saucically”) be different this time around.

Every gen is the same, with people like you always making the same kind of comments, and they’re always wrong.

We will see a difference if those specs are true. There’s no way around this.

I don't see that as a spin nor it a big gap when you compared to PS4 to original Xbox One, let alone PS4 pro VS Xbox One X. 

You don't measure  based on nominal alone, but on percentage that's how you compare two separate number.

Those specs make the PS5 roughly a little more than two thirds the power of the XBSX.

That’s substantial. 

Hynad said:
HollyGamer said:

Those specs make the PS5 roughly a little more than two thirds the power of the XBSX.

That’s substantial. 

Yes, it would make one's favorite toy run at 45 instead of 58 frames per second in the same game.

Gasp, the horror!

haxxiy said:
Hynad said:

That’s substantial. 

Yes, it would make one's favorite toy run at 45 instead of 58 frames per second in the same game.

Gasp, the horror!

or as an example, when a really demanding game gets locked at 30fps on the more powerful hardware, you're hitting high 10's / low 20's on the other one.

that's why it's a substantial difference and why a gpu that performs 30% better can cost 300/400$ more than the weaker one

setsunatenshi said:
HollyGamer said:

both will be using the same uarch and the same RDNA , so the gap are measure based on the RDNA. Unless if one are using GCN while the other using RDNA then we will have a reason to argue. PS5 are using Navi RDNA 1 9.2 teraflop while Xbox X are Navi RDNA 1 12. They are the same Uarch. 

we suspect they will both be in a similar architecture, yes, but even that is not confirmed.

but even so, increased efficiency in IPC means the real world performance gap would be higher than the already brutal 30 or so % difference you're measuring against in the previous gen

having said this, i still refuse to take these rumors as any type of confirmation, i personally don't believe there will be such a performance gap between the 2 consoles

Both are using RDNA, and  that already 100% confirmed, If one of them choose GCN instead RDNA that will be foolish. Even Lisa Su from AMD made that statement at E3 2019 and CES 2019 th. Sony  next gen machine will be using Navi, the same thing also happen when Phil Spencer shows at CES 2019 at AMD press conference when he explained that Xbox will be using Navi (RDNA).

if you said increasing on efficiency , then both  will be efficient and both will be able to perform better then last gen, but comparing between them will still be difficult on real life scenario . We will just have to wait and see on Digital Foundry video and again i mention Digital Foundry LOL because it's really difficult to compare. 

Real performance will be somehow equal with some minor difference like one running 60 fps and one dip at 55 fps ,  unless if both using different architecture (one GCN and one RDNA) then there will be generation difference and generation gap, (like Switch VS PS4/Xbox One graphic comparison).

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Hynad said:

That’s substantial. 

Gasp, the horror!

LMAO 

Nice to see Microsoft putting out a device that won't be under powered at launch. The Xbox One being weaker than the PS4 and a bad reveal cost them a lot out of the gate in 2013. Now all they need is good marketing and "good" exclusives.

With inflation factored in and smart tech already priced over $600 I don't believe price will be much of a factor for either device.. The economy is doing great and people won't mind splurging a little extra. (This was already proved in this years Black Friday and holiday spending records.)

PS5 will do great, they are already ahead as far as optics and a large core base. They need to focus on continuing riding the wave they're on, and not fall off.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

HollyGamer said:
setsunatenshi said:

Both are using RDNA, and  that already 100% confirmed, If one of them choose GCN instead RDNA that will be foolish. Even Lisa Su from AMD made that statement at E3 2019 and CES 2019 th. Sony  next gen machine will be using Navi, the same thing also happen when Phil Spencer shows at CES 2019 at AMD press conference when he explained that Xbox will be using Navi (RDNA).

if you said increasing on efficiency , then both  will be efficient and both will be able to perform better then last gen, but comparing between them will still be difficult on real life scenario . We will just have to wait and see on Digital Foundry video and again i mention Digital Foundry LOL because it's really difficult to compare. 

Real performance will be somehow equal with some minor difference like one running 60 fps and one dip at 55 fps ,  unless if both using different architecture (one GCN and one RDNA) then there will be generation difference and generation gap, (like Switch VS PS4/Xbox One graphic comparison).

last gen xbox was dragged through mud due to the power differences (together with higher price tag) and rightfully so. i was having similar arguments with MS fanboys that were arguing this same points, trying to defend the indefensible. it would be very hypocritical to turn around now and say that 30'ish % power difference is negligible. it's just not, it's very significant, even more so when both will share a 90+% similar library of games, meaning all those games are running objectively better on one platform over the other.

i'm very partial to sony's 1st party, care zero so far about any xbox exclusives, so i probably will still pick the ps5 as my main console. this doesn't mean i won't admit what's absolutely obvious IF these specs will be real.

i'm very confident they aren't still, so won't preemptively defend them like some are doing 

setsunatenshi said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes..... per flop, performance of both systems will favor the newer ones.

But look at the Xbox One X (this gen), it ran alot of games at 4k.
Surely the PS5 will be able to do so as well.  This was my point, which you probably missed.

Yes Ray Tracing will be a performance killer.... you know what will happend? Both systems will run same resolutions / fps, but the Xbox Series X will just have more Ray Tracing beams ect.  Wont be the end of the world, esp if their useing it the same way they did this gen on PC.  It tanks performance for very little improved graphics quality (imo).

Ray Traceing is super demanding, and gives little to most games, in terms of improved image quality.
^ thats deminishing returns, you need to throw a ton of compute at it, for little gains.

I could imagine that next gen, that will be the arguement from teh xbox side.
"Ours have better ray traceing! playstations suck, you barely notice their ray traceing."

i'm still not taking these specs for granted, but regardless, ray tracing, if well used, is a lot more noticeable than a bump in pixel count. not only visual ray tracing, but ray traced audio as well. if the hardware is beefy enough it should also lower development times. developers won't have to make the same smoke & mirror tricks to light a scene, but instead placing realistic lighting to see how it affects the entire scenario.

the key here is using the new gen to push ray tracing as the norm, and i would be very disappointed to not take this jump.

fortunately Cerny confirmed there will be hardware ray  tracing capabilities, so i'm not too worried.

btw on your comment of "having more ray tracing", i'm not sure that's a thing. it's an on / off switch when implemented (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Well there you go your wrong :)
Its not a all or nothing thing, its a degree's of something thing. (I know this for a fact)

Same with tessellation, at small amounts its not very demanding, and at higher levels it can be insanely demanding.
And the same thing is true with it, lesser and lesser gains in visual quality, from more and more demanding compute.

Ray Tracing works with beams, that bounce, and how many beams and how many times they bounce, effects the sharpness and amount, of reflections you see in the video game.

Xbox One Series X, if its ~3 Tflops more powerfull, will just have slightly better looking reflectings, when your character is looking at a mirror/window/water puddle. Because they ll impliment more ray traceing beams, and bounces of them. This doesnt mean the PS4 wont have them, and it might even run the same resolutions & fps, as the xbox one series x version, it just means stuff like Ray Traceing will look slightly better on the Series X.

JRPGfan said:
setsunatenshi said:

i'm still not taking these specs for granted, but regardless, ray tracing, if well used, is a lot more noticeable than a bump in pixel count. not only visual ray tracing, but ray traced audio as well. if the hardware is beefy enough it should also lower development times. developers won't have to make the same smoke & mirror tricks to light a scene, but instead placing realistic lighting to see how it affects the entire scenario.

the key here is using the new gen to push ray tracing as the norm, and i would be very disappointed to not take this jump.

fortunately Cerny confirmed there will be hardware ray  tracing capabilities, so i'm not too worried.

btw on your comment of "having more ray tracing", i'm not sure that's a thing. it's an on / off switch when implemented (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Well there you go your wrong :)
Its not a all or nothing thing, its a degree's of something thing. (I know this for a fact)

Same with tessellation, at small amounts its not very demanding, and at higher levels it can be insanely demanding.
And the same thing is true with it, lesser and lesser gains in visual quality, from more and more demanding compute.

Ray Tracing works with beams, that bounce, and how many beams and how many times they bounce, effects the sharpness and amount, of reflections you see in the video game.

Xbox One Series X, if its ~3 Tflops more powerfull, will just have slightly better looking reflectings, your character is looking at a mirror/window/water puddle.
Because they ll impliment more ray traceing beams, and bounces of them.

i'm not saying you're wrong in the current implementation of ray tracing (not sure you're entirely right either), but what i'm talking about if having games created with ray tracing in mind. meaning, you have a source of light in a room and the light bounces off surfaces to create a more realistic setting.

right now you have pre baked lighting / shadows when games are made which mean resource time is spent trying to create that visual effect. with ray tracing that development time should not exist and a developer should only have to input light sources (as an example) and let them play out in the scene. in this example there's no "more ray tracing", only more/less level of detail.

again, happy to be corrected on this if i'm wrong