By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are gaming chairs as good as they say?

Gaming Chairs are completely useless other than aesthetics. Just get something useful for ergonomics like a high end desk chair.

Around the Network

Gaming chair is a desk chair with brighter colors and a higher price. If you don't care about the bright colors the same money will get you a better chair.

At my job, I sit in chairs that somehow cost thousands of dollars. I do admit, they're pretty comfortable. Much more than the one I have at home but you get what you pay for.

We recently moved to a new house and I have myself a little "office" with a desktop PC, along with all of my gaming consoles. I wanted an office chair but I got seduced by gaming chairs. I wound up buying this one:

Homall Gaming Chair Office Chair... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8T4BBT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It has some mixed reviews on Amazon and the arm rests aren't adjustable but, for the price, I love it. No technical issues for me and it's pretty comfortable. I did buy an extra cushion to sit on but that was more of a want than a need. Absolutely no regrets, yet. Had it since July 25th.

*Edit* mine is all black. I'm a grown man. I don't need all those flashy colors raising my blood pressure.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 30 December 2019

I'm 6'4" & 290lbs ..... most chair have load capacity of only 250lbs or less. I bought a gaming chair that fit my height and weight and you can really feel the difference. The link D21lewis provided is something I was considering but instead I went with a more High end model. But, if your on a budget that Amazon chair will do just the job. It's also good for up to 300 lbs. That mean you won't accidentally break a wheel or something when leaning back.

I love mine. It cradles me, tilts to full 180, and I can fall asleep in it. Get the optional ottoman/foot rest.

Around the Network

I had a chair that's very similar to what's now being sold as gaming chairs, and I didn't like it too much. It wasn't bad but I like my cheap IKEA chair much more.

If you spend a lot of money on them they're absolutely great. Before I got my current DX Racer I used cheap office armchairs that broke about after a year or so. I have had my current gaming chair for over 3 years now and it's not even showing any sign of wear. I'm gonna upgrade it soon to a bigger version because the one I have has been way too small for me since the moment I bought it. That I still haven't jumped to a much bigger and more comfortable version of it is a testament to its quality.

It's almost as if they're designed for long gaming sessions or something.

Last edited by vivster - on 31 December 2019

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Personally i find those mesh cloth chairs more comfortable.

Had the same chair at worth for 8 years and still going strong lol

A nice office chair will do in my opinion.

Also, headrests, specially those with little pillows protruding from them, drive me crazy. If you're fucking reclining and sleeping in front of your home or office PC you're doing it wrong, I'm sorry.

Edit - this doubles as a workplace productivity issue, since it has been shown that people procrastinate less and generally do more stuff when they're perked up instead of a relaxed resting position.

I'm more of a recliner kind of guy. I've basically done away with the desk part of my desktop PC set up. I've got my monitor (50 inch 4K TV) mounted to the wall, my PC and gaming consoles are in one of those Kallax ikea shelving units. And I sit about 4-5 feet away from it at all times in my recliner. I've even built a keyboard/mouse tray that has an attached USB hub, and I built a lid so I can store it away when I'm done.

Maybe it's too comfortable, because I fall asleep gaming all the time now. It's wonderful.