Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 is a go & New Screenshots

Tifa best waifu.

Around the Network

Likely going to wait until the whole thing is out and remastered and available across the whole PS/Xbox family and play it on whichever is the most powerful console version available at that stage.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Jpcc86 said:
Hiku said:

Well, I'm not getting my hopes up about them appearing in more than just this part, but I would love it if they alter the story of at least one character and have them appear in future parts as well.

I am assuming from the start that the story will be heavily altered. A lot of people are treating this as a 1/3 of a game or "5hr of actual story with a lot of filler" and that is a very sad way to look at any remake. The story we know of FF7 is irrelevant, this is gonna grab that and just throw in some big modifications to stablished areas and characters as well as introducing new areas and characters. Its gonna be a new game based on an old one. A proper remake. 

We dont know how the original story will be divided - (but assuming is fun) - im assuming that the first part will end in the main characters leaving Midgard and Shinra will be written as the big antagonist of the first game, with only references that Sephiroth is around until the very end, cause in my head that'd make a lot of sense and its a natural story wrapping up nicely, so in that sense I can imagine they'd alter the story in ways that fit that logic. Like leaving Red completely out of the first game for example, or simply having supporting characters come back to the later episodes for simple continuity... Like, lets say, Biggs and Wedge (and Jessie by proxy)
Since every FF has to have a Biggs and Wedge. 

I'm sure a lot of details will be altered heavily. Appears that way from the trailers. But it's possible that they'll still stick to the same outcome for key parts of the story. Character A gets killed in a different way, or by a different person, but they still die in both versions.
Resident Evil 2 Remake is essentially that way. But FF7R is an even more ambition project, so they may very well change some bottom lines completely. Partially to make it a fresh experience, where you don't already hold all the important answers just by having played the original.

They could do things like introduce Yuffie or Vincent in Midgar in Part 1. But I imagine they want to have a number of new party members joining you in the next game as well, so that specifically may not happen. But altering the stage and/or timeline of certain events wouldn't be surprising to me.
And I think there may be incentive to change up some big things, on top of making it a fresh experience to some degree. Over the years they've gotten feedback on some things more than others, or thought things over and may want to explore certain possibilities that weren't in the original. And then there are things like the urban legends of getting the 'white materia' if you do certain things, in order to revive a certain character that I'm sure a lot of people heard about at some point back in the day because it was featured in popular gaming magazines, before internet was really a thing and you could easily find a conclusive answer.

I know a number of games have done this where they put something into the game because it was a popular fan theory. There was a very recent case that escapes me at the moment, but one example is Mortal Kombat. At the end of the original game, one of the developers names, Tobias Boon, appeared backwards in the credits due to a bug. Spelling out Noob Saibot instead. This quickly because a popular fake theory about a secret character you could fight in the game by accomplishing certain tasks. And so the dev team actually made that character and put it in the next game as a secret boss.

Another example is the mistranslation of "Shoryuken" in Street Fighter 2 to "Shen Long", leading to another well known fake rumor and hoax, of a secret character, which inspired the creation of both Akuma and Gouken in later entries.

I didn't think about FF7R Part 2 being possibly the first (since the tradition started) mainline FF game without Biggs and Wedge making an appearance, unless some things change there. So I hope they look at it that way. Or maybe it's an alternate story the developers wanted to explore anyway. But not getting my hopes up there.

When people describe the new additions to FF7 as 'filler content' in a negative connotation, I don't think they generally consider that the process of making the original games was very similar.

First of all, the initial story outline is just the basic story premise, and is missing most of the details. That's where the scenario writer usually 'fills' things in. And he was only brought in after he finished his work on Bahamut Lagoon. The initial plot of Final Fantasy VII was written and re-written more than once. And the idea of pursuing Sephiroth was an idea Nomura came up with later in the process.

And Tifa is a 'filler character', because Aerith was the only heroine of the game until Nomura later suggested they kill her off. Which made them not only have to rethink the future parts of the game without her, but they decided they needed another female character to 'fill' the void. So they invented Tifa because of that.

Aerith was also meant to be Sephiroth's sister at first, then his former love interest. And then they scrapped that idea and instead created Zach for that purpose.
Yuffie and Vincent were nearly scrapped from the game entirely due to time constraints, which lead to them being optional characters, etc.

The point I'm making here is that the process of creating both the story and other parts of the game involves a lot of what people call 'filler'. A lot of back and forth. Changes and adjusting. 
"This town looks pretty good. But the time the player spends here feels a bit lackluster for all the effort we put into it. Let's add a scenario that makes it more interesting. How about Cloud having to cross dress to infiltrate a brothel?"

Then there are all the ideas they wish they could have done in the original, but didn't have time, or didn't think about until afterwards, or decided to go in one direction so they couldn't go in the other. But now they can. Etc.
That's essentially always the case with any artistic line of work. And there are finished scenes and assets put unto the FF7 disc that they for one reason or another never ended up using. We may see some of those things in the Remake.

Hiku said:

Then there are all the ideas they wish they could have done in the original, but didn't have time, or didn't think about until afterwards, or decided to go in one direction so they couldn't go in the other. But now they can. Etc.

I know they'll never go for it, because it would be something that would not only cross between part 1&2 at the very least, not to mention changing an established character. But I kind of want to see them implement an idea they had for Yuffie, where you'd see posters describing her with a different age and appearance each time, with the last one leading to her final appearance in game. Obviously it would be quite a lot of work though, not only designing the different characters, but presumably also altering her personality, since people would probably expect her to be at least a little different as a 16 year old vs a 25 year old.

I really don't think they'll do it though, they probably have plans to give a bit more story time to her and Vincent.

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Except none of those games are remake though. Maybe he just want the complete story of the original with high end graphic for ps4?

And where does it say he wont get the complete story and more? Making it into more than 1 game don't change that.

The godfather is a single book with no much more than 300 pages, when you watched it as a trilogy did it piss you off that they decided to make 3 movies instead of a single one?

Until the game launches and he plays he can't really say it will be bad because it was made into more than a single entry.

In one single game, not in multi games that take $60 each game and several next years (if lucky) to come out

Did original FFVII for ps1 was in multi parts like this and the story came out from a book that had 300 pages too? If it did, then it could use this excuse because the story source of the original game was too long for just one game, but it didn't. Apple to Orange. Is the god father movie also a remake which has the story breaks into multi parts of the original movie?

Bad or not, this upcoming game doesn't have the full story of the original game, right?

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

You really don't need to be this unpolite. And until you finish playing this part of the remake you can't say you won't be satisfied.

Also let's say FF13 instead of launching with 3 games now came together as a single game (and when FF13 first launched you didn't know it would be a trilogy). Would FF13-1 be incomplete and unsatisfying game because of it?

Dicing a 100+h game into 3  50+h game with more content and having they all being satisfying isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Did you complain Harry Potter had 7 parts book and 8 for movies or that Game of Thrones got over 6 parts?

Except none of those games are remake though. Maybe he just want the complete story of the original with high end graphic for ps4?

But that's not what this game is. And we've known this since 2015.

If people want a game that never existed and never will, that's fine. But they shouldn't bring it up in every single FF7R thread we have, year in and year out ever since 2015.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 November 2019

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bad or not, this upcoming game doesn't have the full story of the original game, right?

2 examples:

The original game have plot holes that needs clearing up, like who the hell is Johnny? The game doesn't seem to really elaborate on who Johnny is. We need to stop this Johnny-gate!

There is a whole bunch of Avalanche members, it's not just Barret and co.. If you watch the trailer there is other eco-terrorist there helping stop the plate from falling too.

Good thing the Remake is coming to clear up all the plot holes from the original game.

Hiku said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

But that's not what this game is. And we've known this since 2015.

If people want a game that never existed and never will, that's fine. But they shouldn't bring it up in every single FF7R thread we have, year in and year out ever since 2015.

I have seen dozens of people still do it again and again in Youtube, Neogaf and Resetera. Clearly they despise the idea of breaking the original story into multi parts

deskpro2k3 said: ly they
HoangNhatAnh said:

2 examples:

The original game have plot holes that needs clearing up, like who the hell is Johnny? The game doesn't seem to really elaborate on who Johnny is. We need to stop this Johnny-gate!

There is a whole bunch of Avalanche members, it's not just Barret and co.. If you watch the trailer there is othestillr eco-terrorist there helping stop the plate from falling too.

Good thing the Remake is coming to clear up all the plot holes from the original game. 

Those plot holes could be solved by some addition of the background stories, just some add-on side stories for example, easy peasy.

HoangNhatAnh said:

1. I have seen dozens of people still do it again and again in Youtube, Neogaf and Resetera. Clearly they despise the idea of breaking the original story into multi parts

2. Those plot holes could be solved by some addition of the background stories, just some add-on side stories for example, easy peasy

1. Those people from youtube, neogaf, and resetera just want a cheap condense upgrade, because they fail to understand the full scale of the game. Remember FF7 has an entire world map with over a dozen towns, dungeons, small scattered islands, mountainous areas, forest, open fields, and even under water locations. If Square Enix want to release FF7R faster to keep up with the hype without condensing and cutting off content, then they can't fit everything in one installment without taking a very long development time which would risk people forgetting all about the remake and losing all the hype in the process. I don't want to be walking down a corridor and bam a new town, and walk 10sec more and bam a new dungeon. They're going to have to fill those open fields with content, and a remake that simply told the exact same story in the exact same world but with shinier graphics would've been a huge disappointment. There's definitely room for plenty of improvements in the original game. So, it's better to release the remake in parts, add all the extra contents to flesh out the story, and at the sametime keeping the fans hype for the next installment.

2. See above.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 27 November 2019

deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

1. I have seen dozens of people still do it again and again in Youtube, Neogaf and Resetera. Clearly they despise the idea of breaking the original story into multi parts

2. Those plot holes could be solved by some addition of the background stories, just some add-on side stories for example, easy peasy

1. Those people from youtube, neogaf, and resetera just want a cheap condense upgrade, because they fail to understand the full scale of the game. Remember FF7 has an entire world map with over a dozen towns, dungeons, small scattered islands, mountainous areas, forest, open fields, and even under water locations. If Square Enix want to release FF7R faster to keep up with the hype without condensing and cutting off content, then they can't fit everything in one installment without taking a very long development time which would risk people forgetting all about the remake and losing all the hype in the process. I don't want to be walking down a corridor and bam a new town, and walk 10sec more and bam a new dungeon. They're going to have to fill those open fields with content, and a remake that simply told the exact same story in the exact same world but with shinier graphics would've been a huge disappointment. There's definitely room for plenty of improvements in the original game. So, it's better to release the remake in parts, add all the extra contents to flesh out the story, and at the sametime keeping the fans hype for the next installment.

2. See above.

The original was praised as a masterpiece already, but you said it had many plot holes and lacked contents? Then that mean FFVII on ps1 was an incomplete game and basically, a cash grab? Also, maybe the extra story will synchronize perfectly with the original story, just like FFXV add-on plot for example, FFVIIR will be a true beautiful bonus for a good story that many people already love. Perhaps FFVII fans will love the remake even way more for some too amazing extra stories.