By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia's game prices are very high according to Eurogamer

Barkley said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Nobody should be paying those prices though. 

Steam, PSN, and XBOX stores all work because there are alternatives for customers to shop at for a fair price. If you don't like the prices on Steam's main page you can always just buy a Steam Key from another web site at a fairer price. If you don't like the prices on PSN or XBOX you can always just find a physical copy for less. 

But what can a Stadia customer do if they don't like the prices listed? Nothing. Publishers want it this way, and like it this way. They want to be able to charge the maximum amount for their product. And in an ecosystem like Stadia where there's no competition for game prices, they can indeed charge whatever they want. 

I agree, or at least I wouldn't pay those prices anyway.

"But what can a Stadia customer do if they don't like the prices listed?" - Very soon there'll be heavy competition with cloud gaming services. XCloud, Stadia, PSNow... we know EA are working on a cloud service too. Everyone's going to be trying to get in the ring and there will be price wars. Just not in the next few months.

Stadia may essentially have a monopoly at the moment, but that will change quickly. Then the competition for game prices will start and will be fierce. With Zero barrier for entry (No expensive hardware to buy) these services will have to offer the best price and best performance for their games or people will just buy it on another service. There'll be no problem switching between them on a whim.

True. I see Xcloud making Stadia pretty much irrelevant though. Xcloud is Gamepass but with the added ability to stream to phones and tablets right? That would win easily because there's no need to buy games with Gamepass. Xcloud would be the true Netflix of games. And I would honestly welcome that as a part of the industry. 

Around the Network

Can we re-Christen Switch tax as Stadia tax?

Cerebralbore101 said:

True. I see Xcloud making Stadia pretty much irrelevant though. Xcloud is Gamepass but with the added ability to stream to phones and tablets right? That would win easily because there's no need to buy games with Gamepass. Xcloud would be the true Netflix of games. And I would honestly welcome that as a part of the industry. 

How much will XCloud + GamePass cost per month? And what do you need to run it?

I wouldn't mind using XCloud for a month or a couple to play the next MS Flight simulator. Lag isn't much of a problem there and from what I've seen my laptop's GTX 1060 likely can't do it any justice. Besides that, the game uses petabytes of real word data which you can download in chunks for the are you're going to fly through. It would make more sense just to stream it instead of waiting to download hundreds of gigabytes of local data.

Plus I don't have to worry about my laptop overheating and blowing hot air at turbo fan speeds :) Owning it would be better, yet since it relies on petabytes of data to look like the promo videos, it's kinda pointless as an offline game.