By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think xcloud will be bigger than console gaming?

In 10 years it is possible but not for now

Around the Network

Yes it will be bigger than console gaming, but not because of phones. It will be bigger because of convenience. The console type game market won't explode onto phones. Games like Halo 5 are still best played on a big screen with a controller. Can you imagine competitive multiplayer on a phone? Plus the vast majority of people gaming on phones want something simple to kill time.

Btw Angry birds only cost $0.99 and is free nowadays. Not much of a comparison.

SvennoJ said:
Yes it will be bigger than console gaming, but not because of phones. It will be bigger because of convenience. The console type game market won't explode onto phones. Games like Halo 5 are still best played on a big screen with a controller. Can you imagine competitive multiplayer on a phone? Plus the vast majority of people gaming on phones want something simple to kill time.

You are only thinking about current phones. A decade from now we will have phones designed with competitive play in mind. 

Xxain said:
SvennoJ said:

You are only thinking about current phones. A decade from now we will have phones designed with competitive play in mind. 

How? Formed like a switch then try to play on a tiny screen while shouting insults into a headset on the bus?

Something like Tetris 99 can get really big on phones, Halo nah.

Hopefully every streaming service stays a novelty at best.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Nope Xcloud won't be bigger than console gaming next gen. Probably won't even be bigger than gamepass on Xbox next gen.
PSnow doesn't have even 2M subscriptions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

dx11332sega said:

With I personally thinking theres 4 billion people in world who has a cellphone, I heard angry birds sold a billion downloads ? Did microsoft catch lightning in a bottle? will billions of people download halo 5 on xcloud? Will Psnow appear on phones too also using xcloud servers and Sony making huge profit on games to phone sales?Will nintendo join Xcloud?

Here's a nice picture what cloud gaming is capable of :)

Running 1440p/30fps according to eurogamer

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Given infinite time, definitely streaming will be bigger than console gaming. The real question is when will it overtake consoles. That's a tough one to answer. There are a ton of variables involved. I'll put a guess at right around the time of the next generation turn over (the beginning of the generation after PS5/Scarlett).

Trumpstyle said:
dx11332sega said:

With I personally thinking theres 4 billion people in world who has a cellphone, I heard angry birds sold a billion downloads ? Did microsoft catch lightning in a bottle? will billions of people download halo 5 on xcloud? Will Psnow appear on phones too also using xcloud servers and Sony making huge profit on games to phone sales?Will nintendo join Xcloud?

Yep, only people praising stadia are ones who have no idea about quality. People who do know it sucks, fail written all over it. Welcome to the future folks.

Last edited by Random_Matt - on 18 November 2019

Random_Matt said:
Trumpstyle said:

Yep, only people praising stadia are ones who have to idea about quality. People who do know it sucks, fail written all over it. Welcome to the future folks.

Yep 4K blu-ray is soaring, streaming 4K at 18 mbps has fail written all over it :p
My cable provider still works in 720p / 1080i, avg 8 mbps mpeg-2...

People care more about convenience than quality. Load times are vastly reduced, no download necessary, works on multiple devices.

Besides that Switch is the hottest console right now while the ps4 pro and XBox One X are still far behind their base console sales.

Here's the complete picture btw

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 18 November 2019