By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has anyone heard if Nintendo is looking to make a cross IP MMORPG?

A Mii MMO would be realy cool also, but making a casual MMO would be one of those holy grail things. If anyone, Nintendo could do it, but just thinking of the logistics and game design gives me a headache

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network

The characters would all be from the world they start in. Fighters/mages/archers from Fire Emblem, trainers from Pokemon, Bounty Hunters or Space Pirates from Metriod, Toads/Yoshis/Koopas from Mario, Waddle Dee or the like from Kirby (perhaps Kirby not so great idea), Townsfolk or other adventurous kids/adults from Zelda, could all be part of the choices.

Me? I would choose a Fire Emblem Swordsman with the possible option of being a flying character. I would strive to depose the rotten king/queen and lift up the rightful ruler. Second choice would be a Bounty Hunter or Phazon Boosted Space Pirate with a Metriod mount, that way I can suck life energy from my enemies while riding. I would try to become the most powerful I can be and try to take (Dark) Samus out.

Your dream will go unfulfilled at least in this generation. The reality is that the Wii probably cannot handle a typical massive title let alone a title that would be this technically challenging. Your looking at an incredibly powerful physics engine to accommodate shooting, platforming, trailing, character morphing, and flying. The result would be a very complex system that surpasses all games in the genre on the market, and many of these titles were in development for upwards of five years.

All of this before any balancing issues would or could be considered. Let alone the artificial intelligence that must be incorporated, and a means for player communication. You are seriously looking at something that is technically impossible especially since your wanting to see it on a Wii.

However there is hope that the likes of Monolith could deliver such a title to the console it might be constrictive and very limited, but it should be doable. You might even be able to collect fan regalia in such a game. Players may walk around with Mario masks on their characters faces.

There just isn't any real reason to even bother yourself considering games like this. Your talking something like a eight year development cycle, and hardware that probably doesn't even exist yet.

^But that is precisely why I want to talk about it. Also I guess it goes without saying that a Nintendo console would be the only place this game would appear, but a PC would an interesting (though impossible) option. They could release a each world separately similar to Guild Wars. I dunno... I just wanted to dream a little about possibilities. Maybe get a set of ideas going and someone picks them up...? Perhaps taking these ideas and creating mini-games from each one...? I dunno. I know it is a HUGE project, this entire idea, nigh impossible (at least at this time), but dream and imagine with me will you...?

Hmm with nintendo's logic they would make an mmo involving a rubber band, some bubble gum and a straw, you'd control the entire thing with a teddy bear with a mircowave emiting fluxcapacitor that detected muscle spasms in your wrist and turned them into cup cakes thus making the most addictive mmorpg in the world.

Srsly - poke'mon if done right would be perfect. If they hired Blizzard to spend 30 years to do it with the help of gamefreak it could be done.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

@luinil

What your referring to is a dream document. I can do you better then dreaming however if you are really serious about your notions. I could forward your machinations to a MMO developer personally.  Only if they are very good of coarse, but that is up to you whether you think your ideas really have merit. A dream document usually entails at the very least twenty pages for an extreme rough draft, and well over a hundred for a refined peice of work. 

Really? You have access to a MMO Dev? Or do you know the channels to submit things to them? I am EXTREMELY interested in game design and development, though I can't program much at all... X_X

My friend and I have been working on ideas for some time and haven't come up with the time or money to develop them ourselves. We have tried a couple of times though. We have a story and some very loose game play mechanics for a DS RPG, but I don't have the money (or credentials) to get a DS Nitro (SDK) to further dev it properly... My friend has very limited experience with GBA stuff, though not in the same league as what the DS is capable of. He got a small monkey sprite to walk around on the original LoZ's few beginning squares.... Anyways enough about us.

I am still very anxious to be able to design a game for the DS or WiiWare. We need more money and a place to setup shop so we can get licensed by Nintendo though... I always love to through ideas around that further the process of game design. I like to mix the process up a bit with different ideas or expounding on good ideas. That is why I made this thread really, to see if anyone would play along with my ideas.

luinil said:
So far no one has stated what class/race/world and mount they would pick if they could choose any of them....

Hmm...

Race:  Hylian/Kokiri (of Zelda).

Class:  Hylian?  Essentially whatever Link is.  I could only imagine Link's class as the "gadgeteer" of the MMO though while Link can master just about any gadget he picks up instantly, I'm sure the player would need to gain experience...etc.

World:  I would start in Hyrule to build up my arsenal of gadgets and weapons.   I would then go to Mario's realm to make a killing off the fact that coins are pretty much everywhere and inside of every block.  I would then use the proceeds to hire and outfit a band of colorful yet skilled mercenaries from the Fire Emblem realm and conquer the entire game world with their help.

Mount:  Why a flying Blue Yoshi of course.  Playing the game without a flying Blue Yoshi  would be like leaving home without your towel.  You just don't do it.

Words Of Wisdom - I would support your ascention to the realm to take on the gods of gaming. Though you will need a powerful mage to open the portal to the abyss to fight Takhisis and I will not go with you into that cursed place. If you find Raistlin tell him hi.

izaaz101 said:
Gamerace said:
I'd prefer a Pokemon MMO as opposed to a multi-IP one. Development could then be based around one common theme instead of trying to be all things to all people and not really satisfying any.

I tend to agree with this. Also, it would bring me that much closer to realizing my boyhood dream!

Me too ever since pokemon blue i been waiting for a proper pokemon mmo ....lets hope nintendo has it in the making it inevitable !  Pokemon ranch and pokemon battle revolution are good and all but its no MMO poke world :( . Although luinil idea also sounds very promising I wouldn't mine riding a flying dragon as a mage casting light/meteor spells from Fire Emblem ^_^.