By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has anyone heard if Nintendo is looking to make a cross IP MMORPG?

Still sounds pretty cool, though.

Around the Network

SSB series works because the is not impetus for a story. Even Subspace was a fairly weak story. In a MMO there would have to be a deep strory to tie all the worlds and side quests together. I dont doubt that ninty could do it and it be good, but I pefer they work on a Pokemon MMO that would be absolutly amazing

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Also how would you implement the Massively Multiplayer part? Would there be multiple Marios, Links and others walking around if players on those servers want to all play as them? Do NPCs take over as storyline characters like Kirby or are those quests not available? I just feel there are way too many variables to get this to work properly. It would be entirely easier to handle as a single player game than an MMO because you have to answer for too much with an MMO featuring specific characters that need to be used.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Granted that they should focus on a Pokemon MMO first, they could translate Tabuu into the MMO or something like that... It could be a hidden link to the "common" Nintendo realm. Perhaps there is a limit to the number of people allowed out of their respected world at one time/in a day/week/etc. Or perhaps the final boss that ties everything together would be fighting the god of gaming, Shigsy himself!!! He would simply go back in time and not create that series. lol!!!!

A true pokemon MMO would be fricking awesome! I would love to see that!

Onyxmeth said:
Also how would you implement the Massively Multiplayer part? Would there be multiple Marios, Links and others walking around if players on those servers want to all play as them? Do NPCs take over as storyline characters like Kirby or are those quests not available? I just feel there are way too many variables to get this to work properly. It would be entirely easier to handle as a single player game than an MMO because you have to answer for too much with an MMO featuring specific characters that need to be used.

I think I vaguely hinted at this in my OP. But to state it boldly, you couldn't play as the main characters from that IP. Nobody could BE Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, Kirby, etc. BUT you could help them in their daily quests and get more involved in their stories and become a hero in your own right. We could have PvP by allowing the player to choose sides in the game. Granted for some IPs it would be difficult to imagine another hero like in the Zelda franchise... But that could be solved by straight away PvP free-for-all and the winner gets to be the leader/character... Who knows. I would like to refine these ideas by bouncing them off of you guys and then perhaps create a mock-up here as well...?

Around the Network

I would rather see a Nintendo MMORPG. Where not only does it have various IP's but also Mii integration.

That would be so full of win.

Build a base 40hr+ game then have 10hr+ DLC every 6mos.

A Pokemon or a Animal Crossing can be amazing. Sadly Nintendo denied there is any plans on MMORPG.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

I was thinking they could do it well if it worked like Guild Wars, where if you have GW Prophecies and get Nightfall you can bring your Prophecies characters over into the Nightfall world (IE Pokemon characters into Mario world) BUT that'd require a harddrive....

Otherwise, each world would need to follow it's own play mechanics to remain true to the IP it's for. Pokemon is ideally suited for a MMO, Fire Emblem and Metroid would adapt well too. Mario, Kirby and Zelda? Not so much. Who wants to be a Toad(ette)? A Koopa Trooper maybe... but still. Not much fun in those IPs unless your the key character, or in Zelda's case, it would just be untrue to the IP to have an armies of heroes completing quests (and *gasp* talking...).

I don't think you realize how vastly complex a MMO is to design, balance and maintain. Mixing multiple IPs would just make it overwhelming hard to balance and make it true to each IP. It's a nice idea, and maybe on some limited scale could be done but I can't see it ever happening beyond SSE in Brawl.

So far no one has stated what class/race/world and mount they would pick if they could choose any of them....

luinil said:
Onyxmeth said:

I think I vaguely hinted at this in my OP. But to state it boldly, you couldn't play as the main characters from that IP. Nobody could BE Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, Kirby, etc. BUT you could help them in their daily quests and get more involved in their stories and become a hero in your own right. We could have PvP by allowing the player to choose sides in the game. Granted for some IPs it would be difficult to imagine another hero like in the Zelda franchise... But that could be solved by straight away PvP free-for-all and the winner gets to be the leader/character... Who knows. I would like to refine these ideas by bouncing them off of you guys and then perhaps create a mock-up here as well...?

I think it defeats the purpose of creating it if you can't play as the characters you'd obviously want to play as. Imagine Smash Bros. where you can only play as Miis and can only fight the mascots. Who would want to do that?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.