By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios hires Halo Senior Modeler - *Poll Added*

When will Prime 4 come out?

2020 2 7.14%

2021 5 17.86%

2022 12 42.86%

2023 3 10.71%

2024 and beyond... 5 17.86%

Whenever Nintendo's next console comes out... 1 3.57%

Total:28
SpokenTruth said:

Looks like Kyle already worked up a Samus model 4 years ago.  Not really sure I like that. 

That's pretty terrible.  Looks more like a mech suit.  Hopefully under the tutelage of Retro he'll just use his talents to make designs consistent with existing Metroid Prime art.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
curl-6 said:
Bloody hell, still hiring?
This game ain't coming before 2022.

It's not. Wanna bet as well it won't even release as Metroid Prime 4, let alone release on the Switch. Getting kinda worried that, by whatever time the game is finished, I'll be long dead. At least Pikmin 4 is closer to launch, ammirite? 

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all if this either launches in like 2024 for the Switch 2 or gets canned altogether.

Its development has already been fucked up enough to warrant a change in developer and a full-on restart, and now it's in the hands of a developer who haven't managed to produce a new game in 6 years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Bloody hell, still hiring?
This game ain't coming before 2022.

I remember some people expecting it to be released in 2020 even after the delay.  Personally, I hope they just develop it from the ground up for the Switch's successor and let it be their showcase launch game alongside something like Mario Kart 9.

SpokenTruth said:

Looks like Kyle already worked up a Samus model 4 years ago.  Not really sure I like that. 

Mechanetta

super_etecoon said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's pretty terrible.  Looks more like a mech suit.  Hopefully under the tutelage of Retro he'll just use his talents to make designs consistent with existing Metroid Prime art.

Agreed.  It's like he took the idea of a mechanical suit too literally rather than understanding it's not of human mechanical origin.  Any suit that can morph into a ball (along with the wearer) isn't playing by the usual mechanical rules.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

I'm thinking 2023 Holiday. That would give it roughly a 4 year development cycle from when it was scrapped. I could see Switch 2 coming out that holiday season and Prime 4 being a cross gen launch title. I'm still holding out for my pet theory/fervent wish that Switch 2 will be PS4 Pro level of hardware and VR capable as a third "Switchable" form factor, and that Metroid Prime 4 will be the launch title that sells that experience by letting the player feel like they're in Samus' suit.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

So many western modelers have absolutely zero concept of design. 

The release date is hard to pin down for two reasons.

1). We don't know just how much Retro is actually starting over with. Will this be a completely fresh game or is it building off from anything that Bandai Namco Singapore started? Yes, Nintendo has said the game is being restarted but that doesn't mean all previous work is scrapped. We don't know what about it didn't meet Nintendo standards. The game concept itself? The art? Sloppy programming? Process taking too long?

This alone could alter the release by a year or allow a sooner release. We just don't know.

2). Switch Pro or Switch 2 or Next NES...whatever. Since Nintendo has taken the game completely off of its expected timeline, they can now reinsert it whenever they want (once completed, of course). That means they can hold onto the game for a while to release it alongside new hardware if they wanted to.

To sum up, Fall 2020 to Fall 2023.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Nice to hear he's on board. :)

HylianSwordsman said:
I'm thinking 2023 Holiday. That would give it roughly a 4 year development cycle from when it was scrapped. I could see Switch 2 coming out that holiday season and Prime 4 being a cross gen launch title. I'm still holding out for my pet theory/fervent wish that Switch 2 will be PS4 Pro level of hardware and VR capable as a third "Switchable" form factor, and that Metroid Prime 4 will be the launch title that sells that experience by letting the player feel like they're in Samus' suit.

I like this. I like this a lot. Not really a fan of VR, but i'll make a big exception for Prime 4 (or any Prime game for that matter). I'm also betting it'll be a 2023 release, possibly alongside the Switch successor. 

Ultravolt said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I like this. I like this a lot. Not really a fan of VR, but i'll make a big exception for Prime 4 (or any Prime game for that matter). I'm also betting it'll be a 2023 release, possibly alongside the Switch successor. 

I'm not huge on VR either, but if it were just one form factor of three and not the focus, and Metroid was there to sell the VR factor, it could work. And for little 12 year old me, Prime was a mind blow with feeling like I was inside the suit, and I think a VR mode for Prime 4 could help me recapture that magic.