By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding Review Thread - MC: 82 / OC: 83 / GR: 83.17%

Tagged games:

Omar500 said:

Oh, so he admits they're not even finishing games before they review them. What a bad excuse for 'journalism'. Too much soy in his life I guess..
Can believe he is serious about this. Pathetic. 

He _literally_ is saying he did not write a review or assign a score, and instead is writing a 4 page preview of his impressions.

Around the Network

People are too sensitive about review scores.

LudicrousSpeed said:
JRPGfan said:

Harsh isnt even the right word..... to express how silly that score is, its worse than "harsh".

There has to be some sort of standard for what a review score means, or else the entire score metric is baseless and worthless.
3.5 is the sort of score you give some broken peice of crapy indie game, full of bugs.

All you need to do is watch a trailer or some gameplay and you can tell its not a 3,5 score.
That reivewer should be banned for click bait score giveing.

Also, I disagree that a big budget AAA title can’t be scored a 3.5 because it’s not an indie title or it isn’t buggy. The Order 1886 is a great looking, fully functional and bug free title. I wouldn’t bat an eye at a 3.5 score for it because the things it tries to do well, it fails miserably. I haven’t read the 3.5 DS score and probably never will, but if the reviewer found major flaws with key elements then why can’t it be a 3.5?

Also maybe if you feel this strongly about scores, don’t rely on a review aggregator? Or don’t even look at them. Find a stable of reviewers who share your opinions and bias and score standards and only read their reviews.

Death Stranding Tech Review: The Digital Foundry Verdict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQEPme0SXtQ

watch this and tell me that Death Stranding is a 3,5 game.

It ooses tender care & love, taken into so many aspects...... and its ahead of basically every game in terms of graphics on the market.
How can you score it that low? you cant.

I'm calling BS on that score.

Omar500 said:

Oh, so he admits they're not even finishing games before they review them. What a bad excuse for 'journalism'. Too much soy in his life I guess..
Can believe he is serious about this. Pathetic. 

Yep. Edge and Kotaku both don't really finish games before reviewing them. This is how Edge can give universally panned games really high scores, and universally loved games really low scores. 

Some Sony fans really need to come back to reality. Three guys in particular are just incapable of understanding that not everyone thinks all of Sony's game are 10/10 perfect masterpieces. The bias is just on a whole other level here.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

A game needs to be evaluated by what it wants to do and how it does it, not on how you want it to be.

Unless you find it ok that anyone takes 50 points from all games that are cartooney because they like photorealism or vice-versa.

^ so much this.

Same crap with Days Gone, getting bad review scores because they found it offensive towards women or something.
That shouldnt be a real reason to take points off of a review.

From my standpoint people reviewing a game can take off points for anything they want. That's why I like to focus on the content of reviews than the scores attached to it. Even with a game with glowing reviews like Red Dead Redemption 2, I was able to get a sense this was not for me by reading what was praised and what was criticized within reviews that ended with a 100 or a 95.

The same is true for very low scores, you can read them and see what is pointed out and if the flaws highlighted are not a big deal to you then you can still feel confident the game will be good for you.

Signature goes here!

It's sitting at 86 on Opencritic right now. That's a damned good score. Some reviewers genuinely didn't like it. Fine by me. Still something I want to play.

Chrkeller said:

Think of all the list wars! wont you?

also this issue with review score trolling, seems to be most prevelent towards sony titles.

Hiku said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I've heard of them. Their reviews never really stood out to me before as shitty or clickbait. Either they suddenly changed the quality of their reviews, or there's something genuinely offputting about Death Stranding. 

Well I'm unfamiliar with their work, but can't check their site now because it's down due to all the traffic. So if that was their intention, mission accomplished.

Though I'm not suggesting they didn't dislike the game, but pointing out how the synopsis is worded.

People shouldnt support these clickbait + troll reviewers, that pull stunts like this for attention and ad revenue anyways.

JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

Think of all the list wars! wont you?

also this issue with review score trolling, seems to be most prevelent towards sony titles.

I can't agree to that.  Look at some of the scores for BotW.  A few people scored it significantly lower than everybody else.  The questions is why bother getting upset?  If somebody thought Death was a boring tedious slog feast...  they are suppose to give it 9/10 because Kojima?  Because Sony?  The idea that Sony games are reviewed more harshly is silly.  GoW, Uncharted 1-4, TLoU, Horizon, Spiderman, MHW and many more scored amazingly well.  Sony fans, in this case, are being silly.  There simply isn't a media wide conspiracy against Sony.

Edit

As an example I would review RDR2 a 5/10, I hated it.  Same with Sekiro.  The idea that I HAVE to be trolling because I didn't like a critically acclaimed game is foolish.  I sincerely and genuinely didn't like the game.  As a point of clarity, I hated Xenoblade on the Wii U as well.  I also don't like Animal Crossing.

On the flip side, I would give Last Guardian a 10/10, loved it.   

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 01 November 2019