By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - backward compatibility, ps3's japanese downfall

BKK2 said:
But isn't that the same half-assed software BC everyone criticized the Xbox 360 for, with which only some games will work 100% correctly?

That's a bit of an exageration, the vast majority of games work fine. Sony has a website where you can check if your games are compatible or not.

I read that some of those "compatible" games have problems during some stages or cutscenes, which is why I said "100% correctly". Apologies if I'm wrong.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

would be interesting to compare with the sales of PS2 during these months to see if there is the opposite trend (thus validating somewhat the theory)...

But personally, I bought a new US PS2 to play games I didn't get the opportunity to play. had the PS3 not been $50000000 I probably would have picked it up instead (blue ray's fault basically). Now If I get one it'll be end life for $20 titles or a PS4 BC.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

To me it doesn't make sense why the Japanese want to have BC, I sold the Japanese PS3 version as it totally sucked. If you wish to play PS2 games, get a darn PS2 and Component cable... looks much better.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:
To me it doesn't make sense why the Japanese want to have BC, I sold the Japanese PS3 version as it totally sucked. If you wish to play PS2 games, get a darn PS2 and Component cable... looks much better.

Probably mostly because of space considerations, along with avoiding a lot of cables around the TV. You can also get a small amount of money for a used PS2, so that's a bonus too. The PS3's hardware is more reliable than the PS2's.

That's four different reasons why BC matters to some people.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
BKK2 said:
But isn't that the same half-assed software BC everyone criticized the Xbox 360 for, with which only some games will work 100% correctly?

That's a bit of an exageration, the vast majority of games work fine. Sony has a website where you can check if your games are compatible or not.

I read that some of those "compatible" games have problems during some stages or cutscenes, which is why I said "100% correctly". Apologies if I'm wrong.

They don't list games as compatible or non-compatible. They are listed as:

No known issues to date
Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with some minor issues

Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues

The vast majority come under the "No known issues to date" category. This is for the PAL 60Gb PS3 which has the same BC as the US 80Gb.

BC Games Compatibility

Around the Network
Kyros said:
statistics 1.1: correlation is no proof of causation.

Still it's a fairly interesting correlation. I can't see any confounding variables really... and the PS3 stopping sales certaintly didn't stop PS3's from having backwrods compatability.

Unless it's just the "Wii took hold as permanent leader, and as such the Japanese went into their usual "Support one console" mode.

Then again don't sales go down around march? 

It's only about 40k less from Jan - April as it was last year.

I really don't see where it's 'Dead'. I'm sure as the year goes on, it'll sell more this year than last year, based off of MGS4 and FF.

I'm not sure about in other countries, but pretty much every store I've seen the PS3 being sold in there are still posters/cardboard stand information type things showing the differences between the 3 different PS3 models 20/40/60gb (even though the 20/60gb models are now discontinued). One column shows "PS2 compatibility and has "O" (ie "yes")for the 20/60gb models and "X" (ie "no") for the 40gb model. Consumers can easily see that if they want to keep playing the PS2 games they have then the 40gb PS3 will NOT play them.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I really don't see what the big deal on BC is.

Sure it was great back when the only good game was resistance, but now that theres many great PS3 titles, you don't need PS2/PS1 games.

The only PS2 games I still own are too old to be traded in to blockbuster. Thats how little I cared about BC.

The costs is the biggest part of BS Sony can think off. The whole Emotion Chip is nothing more than a budget chip now and doesn't make the cost on a PS3. It has more to do with the fact that companies don't like it when people sell their PS2 for a PS3 when the PS2 is still in production.

It has been nothing more than a smart sales talk. Sony mentions it will have BC then sell them for a few months then silently introduce a lighter model without all that stuff.

Predictions
I will win the internetz