By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Dreamcast turns 20

COKTOE said:
SammyGiireal said:

For some reason music in 1990s, at least to me was better than most of the music that plays today.

Oh boy. This thread is way off topic. Lol. 90's in general is my favorite decade for music, but the mainstream rock around the Dreamcast launch was mostly not to my liking.

Understood. We should get back to the DC indeed lol

Around the Network

I'm a huge fighting game enthusiast. So the Dreamcast was by far the best thing smoking til PS2 hit. I'm talking both Marvel vs Capcom titles, Capcom vs SNK, Power Stone 1 and 2, Soul Caliber, Rival Schools, All Street Fighter 3 renditions (3rd Strike is the best of them tho), Street Fighter Alpha 3, and a few more. I still have my Dreamcast in pristine condition. It looks exactly like it did when I bought it back in 2000. No yellowing or anything like that. I still have all my controllers, and VMUs. Some still in the box. I adored that console. One of my favorite consoles of all time. Definitely ahead of it's time.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
I'm a huge fighting game enthusiast. So the Dreamcast was by far the best thing smoking til PS2 hit. I'm talking both Marvel vs Capcom titles, Capcom vs SNK, Power Stone 1 and 2, Soul Caliber, Rival Schools, All Street Fighter 3 renditions (3rd Strike is the best of them tho), Street Fighter Alpha 3, and a few more. I still have my Dreamcast in pristine condition. It looks exactly like it did when I bought it back in 2000. No yellowing or anything like that. I still have all my controllers, and VMUs. Some still in the box. I adored that console. One of my favorite consoles of all time. Definitely ahead of it's time.

One of the greatest consoles ever made. If Sega hadn't been in such a deep hole perhaps things would have turned out a bit differently. 

SammyGiireal said:
Rafie said:

One of the greatest consoles ever made. If Sega hadn't been in such a deep hole perhaps things would have turned out a bit differently. 

Agreed. They put their eggs all in one basket, outside of the Saturn not being a commercial success. Also the PS2 was coming. Yeah man I bummed to see Sega go under like that. Imagine if they were still in the console business. I think we would have another powerful innovative console that would compete with the other 3.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Great console! SEGA’s best for sure, it’s sad that they couldn’t give it the time it deserved anymore.

Around the Network
Rafie said:
SammyGiireal said:

Agreed. They put their eggs all in one basket, outside of the Saturn not being a commercial success. Also the PS2 was coming. Yeah man I bummed to see Sega go under like that. Imagine if they were still in the console business. I think we would have another powerful innovative console that would compete with the other 3.

Sega was always on the Vanguard even if things wouldn't pan out. The DC however was such a well put together system, great price point, serviceable online play and a great catalog of games. I agree Sega was an innovator in this business.

wish that day was back when postman delivered a day one dreamcast with sonic adventure.....simply beautiful memories even more so when i got the dreamkey disk working and finally was able to surf online. they even gave a dedicated @dreamcast email addy which was brilliant.

my faves

1: dreamarena chat

2: phantasy star online

3: metrolopis street racer

4: all shumps

5: shenmue

i sometimes wonder where all those people are who i used to talk to on dreamarena chat. 10/10 console

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

wish that day was back when postman delivered a day one dreamcast with sonic adventure.....simply beautiful memories even more so when i got the dreamkey disk working and finally was able to surf online. they even gave a dedicated @dreamcast email addy which was brilliant.

my faves

1: dreamarena chat

2: phantasy star online

3: metrolopis street racer

4: all shumps

5: shenmue

i sometimes wonder where all those people are who i used to talk to on dreamarena chat. 10/10 console

The 90s were Magical in all aspects...especially in gaming. The 3-D era was in its pioneering stages still, and while the N64 was the first to get it right, the DC really polished up the visuals ...I mean in those days I remember looking a wooden textures and saying "Finally wood looks like freaking wood" lol Great times ...oh glorious High school days.

Amazing hardware that sadly didn't get the chance to live out its full potential due to Sega's financial woes.

I really would've loved to see it pull off a full 5 year lifespan. The leap from N64/PS1 to games like Soul Calibur and later Shenmue was mindblowing, just imagine what it could've pulled off with another 2-3 years of developer investment.

As a 90s kid, I'll always miss the days when Sega made consoles. Megadrive, Dreamcast, even the Saturn all hold a special place in my heart, even if my first loyalty was always to Nintendo. Sega hardware always had this charm that neither Xbox nor Playstation with their more sterile, utilitarian design could ever match for me.

Dreamcast was out of this world.. Design.. hardware and games was perfect.

I'm 44.. so me and my friends startet playing in the early 80's.. I still remember theire faces when they saw Soulcaliber

Sega should have seen the potential in the fishrod (motion control)  they could have made wii 7 years before Nintendo..

But sega was "hardcore" thinking and offcourse focused on onlineplay instead.. sorry for them the world was not ready