By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: W35, 2019 (Aug 26 - Sep 01) aka SW explosion

Nautilus said:
Barkley said:

Because I expect them to sell similar? (Globally at least)

Xenoblade sits at 1.75m sold globally, I expected Astral Chain to reach somewhere around 1.5m globally.

Xenoblade 2 was at 1.75 m back at February.I wouldnt be surprised if it was above 2 millions at this point.

True it's still selling, won't be above 2m yet though.

Date Shipped Total
December 31st 2017 1.06m 1.06m
March 31st 2018 0.25m 1.31m
June 30th 2018 0.11m 1.42m
September 30th 2018 0.11m 1.53m
December 30th 2018 0.13m? 1.66m?
March 31st 2019 0.07m? 1.73m

I'd say it's probably at about 1.81m-1.84m

(numbers followed by ? are guesses)

Last edited by Barkley - on 04 September 2019

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Nautilus said:

Xenoblade 2 was at 1.75 m back at February.I wouldnt be surprised if it was above 2 millions at this point.

Date Shipped Total

I would say its higher than that, but thats my gut feeling more than anything else.

Anyways, 2 millions is a lock.I wonder how much its going to do LT.My guess is something really close to 2.5 million.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Updated the op with charts

Nautilus said:
Barkley said:

Date Shipped Total

I would say its higher than that, but thats my gut feeling more than anything else.

Anyways, 2 millions is a lock.I wonder how much its going to do LT.My guess is something really close to 2.5 million.

I think if it's lucky it'll ship 0.27m in 2019, bringing the total to 2m. But it's shipments are clearly slowing, I think it'll end at around 2.25m.

Mar1217 said:
Sure, lots of peeps were holding out for the new model like we suggested weeks ago, yet this doesn't make this week less impressive than it should be portrayed as.
Astral Chain did "well" considering what we heard from the high price point and limited physical copies in stock, it's clear that digital sales we'll be it's savior in Japan since it has been a popular title on the Eshop for a while now. As for the rest, most titles from Nintendo have held up really well !

Wouldn't be surprised if we got back to a 50K-60K baseline until the inevitable Switch Lite launches and explodes the chart !

If that was intentional, then you have all my respect ^_^

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Around the Network

Huge Switch hardware bump, Astral Chain

Barkley said:
Jranation said:

Why compare a New IP to a franchise? 

Because I expect them to sell similar? (Globally at least)

Xenoblade sits at 1.75m sold globally, I expected Astral Chain to reach somewhere around 1.5m globally.

Oh I thought you are just saying in Japan. And yeah I expect it to reach 1mil WW eventually. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Isnt astral chain more than 80$ in japan?
The vouchers being two games for less than 100$ should have impacted a lot in physical sales...

Interesting, these +60000 this week just recover in once all the loses of the 6 previous negative weeks.
But seing the 2018 numbers of the coming weeks, 2019 is in a strong position from now.

Just like in the U.K., Astral Chain's "success" varies a lot based on how you look at it, and it makes it very difficult to estimate how successful it actually is. 

On the one hand, it's supposedly one of the most expensive first party Switch games ever released in Japan. It's physical price is apparently much higher than average, and even higher than a non-voucher digital copy of the game. Not only that, but Japan still sells digital vouchers (just like in the U.K.). 

On the other hand, it actually sold a little worse than Bayonetta 2 physically in Japan (just like in the U.K.) - and that was a Wii U game, which was considered a "flop" when it sold 38k in it's first week. Then again, considering Bayonetta 2 sold 67% of it's initial shipment (seems like most games hit about 75%) and got a sequel, maybe it was always inaccurate to call that title a flop in Japan. Maybe it met expectations. But that was also a Wii U title. 

Astral Chain probably sold around 89% of Bayonetta 2's physical sales in the U.K. and 84% of Bayonetta 2's physical sales in Japan. 

This isn't too bad considering Switch is a much healthier digital platform - but to what extent? The voucher program has to have had a huge impact on the sales of big AAA titles, because otherwise a lot of the digital sales come from indie titles ... and Astral Chain is a pretty hefty 9.8GB. 

It's probably tracking a bit ahead of Bayonetta 2 in the U.K. and Japan, but what's disappointing is that if it is tracking much farther we simply won't know. Either way, it will probably sell 100K or a little more in Japan lifetime, because Bayonetta 2 is estimated to have hit that. Not that great to be honest, hopefully it has physical legs because that's the only way that sales could possibly "appear" impressive without digital numbers. Most likely though, it's just doing ok, and Platinum is remaining niche. It will have to be carried physically by NA, shocking I know.

Edit: Also this did better than expected for me, expected like 10-22k for Astral Chain lol.

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 04 September 2019