By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair launches 8th October

In just over a month, we'll be able to get our hands on Playtonic's new 2.5D outing.

As another tidbit, the digital version on Switch will run you 4.7GB

I'm actually really looking forward to it myself, it reminds me strongly of Retro's DKC games, which I adored.

Plus it was recently confirmed to be 60fps on all platforms including Switch, which is cool.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 September 2019

Around the Network

I've been wondering about that game. Would you say it can hold a candle to the remake of Spyro cause those two games seem to be in the same category to me. I mean if I like Spyro I should like Yooka Laylee too, right?

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I've been wondering about that game. Would you say it can hold a candle to the remake of Spyro cause those two games seem to be in the same category to me. I mean if I like Spyro I should like Yooka Laylee too, right?

The first Yooka Laylee can be said to be in a similar category to Spyro as a 3D platformer in the PS1/N64 mold, but this one is a 2.5 sidescroller more similar to Retro's Donkey Kong Country games.

Mar1217 said:
Early October ... gosh, here I thought I'd get a bit of rest after this september xD

I know right, in October alone I'll be getting this, Trine 4, Witcher 3, and Luigi's Mansion 3. Probably gonna end up stashing this one for later down the road as I just won't have the time to play all the new games coming out. Switch's Sept-Nov is merciless.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

The first Yooka Laylee can be said to be in a similar category to Spyro as a 3D platformer in the PS1/N64 mold, but this one is a 2.5 sidescroller more similar to Retro's Donkey Kong Country games.

Appropriate design choice, as former Donkey Kong Country staff now make up part of Playtonic's workforce. :)

I'm well aware. ;) What I find interesting is that this seems to take more cues from Retro's DKC games than Rare's. Which makes sense, I mean if you're gonna make a 2.5D platformer in 2019, best to take influence from the best of the genre's more recent entries.

I was one of those kinda hoping we'd get a new DKC game for the Switch, but failing that I'll take this as a substitute haha

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

I know right, in October alone I'll be getting this, Trine 4, Witcher 3, and Luigi's Mansion 3. Probably gonna end up stashing this one for later down the road as I just won't have the time to play all the new games coming out. Switch's Sept-Nov is merciless.

I'm well aware. ;) What I find interesting is that this seems to take more cues from Retro's DKC games than Rare's. Which makes sense, I mean if you're gonna make a 2.5D platformer in 2019, best to take influence from the best of the genre's more recent entries.

I was one of those kinda hoping we'd get a new DKC game for the Switch, but failing that I'll take this as a substitute haha

And if this game is good enough, then Playtonic could find themselves working with Nintendo on a new Donkey Kong Country. :D

While I don't think it's very likely, I would love it if that happened, it'd be basically a dream come true for me.