By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Astral Chain Debuts at No.1 in the UK

Yay for thread derailing with off-topic negativity. More posts about that then the actual fucking topic, smh.

Great news that Astral Chain is performing well though, I was genuinely concerned it would sell poorly, as most of Platinum's games tend to.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

True, I'm most likely not within Nintendo's key demographic. But that does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion or to disagree with their pricing, right?

You know you guys strike me as owning a Switch not because of the games but because of the price. It feels to me like you like those games specifically because they are expensive and remain expensive. I almost feel like should those games come down in price, that you wouldn't be interested in them anymore. And to be clear I'm not saying it's exactly what you are thinking, I'm just saying it's the impression you guys are giving me, based on your arguments in defense of those games prices over your personal financial interests.

@Bolded - Absolute rubbish. @non-bolded You have a say with your wallet, your opinion as someone who is not likely to become a customer to them means nothing to the people who matter in this, Agree with Curl though, this has nothing to do with the thread in the slightest.

On topic though, it's awesome to see it launched at number 1 when you consider that Control launched the same week as it and is considered to be a larger title in terms of quality / budget and also Control is a game which launched on the PS4 a system with 3x the install base of the Switch.

I have a friend picking up a Switch because of this game looking as good as it does, so on top of the 2k other titles on the machine this was the exclusive straw which broke the camels back, that's the thing with titles like this, Three Houses, Captain toads, Yoshis crafted world, Mario Vs Rabbids, all those titles on their own might not be the biggest thing in the world, but when you can play so many great titles now only on the Switch it makes the console more and more popular with each category of gamer, Nintendo really made a good plan with their AAA and AA offerings coming to the Switch at the right times, said it once and I'll say it again, I was a derp to QQ about them missing holiday season 2016 so much considering how well the Switch's first 2 years have been.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

On topic though, it's awesome to see it launched at number 1 when you consider that Control launched the same week as it and is considered to be a larger title in terms of quality / budget and also Control is a game which launched on the PS4 a system with 3x the install base of the Switch.

Yeah I was quite surprised to see it debut above a big AAA multiplat like Control.

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yeah I was quite surprised to see it debut above a big AAA multiplat like Control.

Not even just for the quality and budget of control but it needed to achieve a far higher (x3) attach rate on the Switches 36m owners compared to Control coming to 3 platforms, one of which has 100m systems in homes.

I know obviously these numbers are UK only but even still, the UK is a stronghold for the PS4 and Playstation in general.

Really hope this is a sign of good things to come from Nintendo working with other studios to fund other titles and to make sure that they stay involved to try to steer the titles to match Nintendo Quality in terms of their first party offerings, it was awesome to see this review close to 90% by so many reviewers, I think it ended up around 87/88% on metacritic, or it was the last I seen it.

Wonder how the revenue split for this works though, like... did platinum get paid up front to make it and that's that, or will they get a cut from the sales of the game as well. I hope it works out profitable for all sides so there can be more of this, both the IP, the co-operation of Nintendo with big AAA studios and the Switch doing well.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

Not even just for the quality and budget of control but it needed to achieve a far higher (x3) attach rate on the Switches 36m owners compared to Control coming to 3 platforms, one of which has 100m systems in homes.

I know obviously these numbers are UK only but even still, the UK is a stronghold for the PS4 and Playstation in general.

Really hope this is a sign of good things to come from Nintendo working with other studios to fund other titles and to make sure that they stay involved to try to steer the titles to match Nintendo Quality in terms of their first party offerings, it was awesome to see this review close to 90% by so many reviewers, I think it ended up around 87/88% on metacritic, or it was the last I seen it.

Wonder how the revenue split for this works though, like... did platinum get paid up front to make it and that's that, or will they get a cut from the sales of the game as well. I hope it works out profitable for all sides so there can be more of this, both the IP, the co-operation of Nintendo with big AAA studios and the Switch doing well.

Yeah that's what I meant (but didn't articulate) not just that Control is a bigger game in terms of budget and advertising, but that it's releasing to a vastly larger install base. Control's also a more mainstream game stylistically.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yeah that's what I meant (but didn't articulate) not just that Control is a bigger game in terms of budget and advertising, but that it's releasing to a vastly larger install base. Control's also a more mainstream game stylistically.

And control is being billed as "this is what quantum break should have been" or Alan Wake 2.0, I mean it's a new IP but it's a very classic Remedy studios title where Astral Chains mechanics with the chained demon robot look to be pretty damn new as a concept to how to play a game nevermind just new to platinum games.

It was very tempting to pick up today... but instead I opened up Celeste instead to try to get that off my wall of shame since I've owned that for months now and never opened it.... Celeste is amazing btw if you've played meat boy and enjoy a game where you die hundreds of times.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

One thing that bothers me with Nintendo games is (and correct me if this has changed) that their games don't come down in price over time.

Take Zelda BOTW for instance, it's been two years and a half since that game's release and if I wanted to buy it now I'd still pay full price which is a problem cause it means playing Nintendo games is very expensive.

Which means that if I ever decided to get a Switch I'd have to either spend a lot of money in games or only play a very limited amount of games, just the big names like Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Prime 4.

They do get sales but not as low as Multiplat games. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Chrkeller said:

Nintendo certainly controls pricing of their games and keeps them high. Such is life. From a business perspective I get it, keeps brand equity.  

As an example I would never pay full price for Madden, given I know it will be $10 within a year.  I also really enjoy Borderlands, but may wait on BL3, again because it won't hold value.  On the other hand I day 1 Nintendo games, because it will be 4 years before they hit $20.

From a business perspective, yes but here is the thing: As a consumer I'm ONLY concerned with the consumer perspective. I must defend my interest, not Nintendo's or Sony's or any other company. So they are trying to get as much money from me as possible and I get that but I'm trying to get the best possible deal too and that's my concern and right.

Also are you saying it takes a long time but eventually their games come strongly down in price? Cause I can live with that, I can wait (Should I decide to get a Switch) and play BOTW in a couple  more years when the game will be out for 4 years and pay 20 euros. My understanding is that Nintendo games are NEVER sold at such a price.

Nintendo does offer their games at $20 as budget-label games they call "Nintendo Selects", which were "Player's Choice" before that. Also, several of their 1st party games seem to be hovering around $40-$50 at most retailers now that they're several years old.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

This isn't the "WAH NINTENDO'S SOFTWARE PRICING" thread, it's a thread about Astral Chain being number 1. Aren't there any mods around these days?

People should stick to the thread topic. If you want to discuss Nintendo's software prices that's fine - just make a thread for it.

On topic: I've really enjoyed Astral Chain so far so I hope it does well. Unit sales for number 1 in the UK last week were likely around 10,000 units - Bayonetta 2 sold 12,000 (ish) at launch in the UK and Astral Chain sold slightly less than that. I wouldn't expect Japanese retail sales for the game to be high either - Nintendo's voucher promotion is great value for money in Japan, so there could be a higher than usual digital share of sales. Personally I'm hoping this at least breaks the million mark globally, but preferably I'd hope it shifts 1.5 to 2 million, which I don't think is out of reach.

Asriel said:
This isn't the "WAH NINTENDO'S SOFTWARE PRICING" thread, it's a thread about Astral Chain being number 1. Aren't there any mods around these days?

People should stick to the thread topic. If you want to discuss Nintendo's software prices that's fine - just make a thread for it.

On topic: I've really enjoyed Astral Chain so far so I hope it does well. Unit sales for number 1 in the UK last week were likely around 10,000 units - Bayonetta 2 sold 12,000 (ish) at launch in the UK and Astral Chain sold slightly less than that. I wouldn't expect Japanese retail sales for the game to be high either - Nintendo's voucher promotion is great value for money in Japan, so there could be a higher than usual digital share of sales. Personally I'm hoping this at least breaks the million mark globally, but preferably I'd hope it shifts 1.5 to 2 million, which I don't think is out of reach.

I think passing 1 million sold would be a successful run for a game like this. It's not the most mainstream game out there, it's a new IP, and it's from a company who produce more misses than hits commercially.

Then again, it could do an Octopath/Xenoblade 2 and blow passed expectations.